1. TheKiteKing

OP TheKiteKing Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Hi,

Firstly thanks to anyone who can help me with this. I tried to install a Trinket M0 internally as a modchip inside my switch. The switch now won't boot at all. When I plug in the battery the Trinket M0 lights up and makes a very quiet buzzing noise. The fan on the switch doesn't start turning and the screen doesn't light up. I can post my information if anyone needs it. I'm not bad at soldering, I've done other similar things before. Thank you so much to anyone who can help as I can't afford another Switch so fixing this one is really my only option.

Thanks.

2. CompSciOrBust

CompSciOrBust GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I think I had a similar issue when installing my rebug. Where are you drawing the power from? If you're using the resistor next to the battery make sure you haven't bridged two of them together because they're quite close.

TheKiteKing likes this.
  3. TheKiteKing

OP TheKiteKing Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Thanks for replying. I used this layout. Does this help to clear anything up? Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. CompSciOrBust

United Kingdom
    Yes. That's the same setup I used. Look at the wire connected to pin 4 on the trinket. It's connected to a resistor which is very close to another one which is used in the battery decoupling circuit. Make sure no solder is connecting the two.

TheKiteKing likes this.
  5. TheKiteKing

OP TheKiteKing Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Looking at mine now I'm almost certain that I've done exactly what you are describing. Thanks for the help I'm going to have a go at fixing it tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes :).

CompSciOrBust likes this.
  6. CompSciOrBust

United Kingdom
    No problem. The other resistor isn't actually needed so no pressure if you accidentally remove it entirely. I did it and my switch works fine (I asked someone on the ReSwitched discord and they said my switch will probably just charge a bit slower now but in the year I have had the mod I haven't noticed a difference). Good luck.

Last edited by CompSciOrBust, Dec 22, 2019
    TheKiteKing likes this.
  7. TheKiteKing

OP TheKiteKing Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I took your advice and my switch now boots up again so thank you so much. However when I try and boot into rcm mode / cfw the switch doesn't do anything the screen just stays black. The Trinket does its usual pattern of flashing lights (ending with red and not green). I also tried putting my jig into the joycon rail but it still doesn't work. Using my SX Pro and a jig now also doesn't work. Lol I have basically patched my own switch. Any idea what could be causing this? Thanks again for helping.

8. Pintglass

Pintglass GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    What did you do when following @CompSciOrBust advice.

TheKiteKing likes this.
  9. TheKiteKing

OP TheKiteKing Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I had accidentally joined the two resistors together with a big blob of solder. I heated it up with the soldering iron and used this tool that I have (not sure of its name) to suck the solder off. Then I resoldered the wire to the resistor making sure that it only covered one of them this time.

10. Pintglass

Pintglass GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Are you talking about the connection point from pin 4 of the trinket, if so there capacitors not resistors and nothing to do with battery decoupling or the charging circuit, although removing the short between pins 5/6 of the m92t36 would cure your problem.

11. TheKiteKing

OP TheKiteKing Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Yeah it was the one coming from pin 4. Haha I've got no clue what they are but it started working when I stopped them from being connected. I guess that that could've been a crazy coincidence but it did start working :).

Edit : Can you clarify what you mean by the pins 5/6 thing please. Do you mean that it would fix my issue with not being able to boot into rcm mode? Thanks.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Last edited by TheKiteKing, Dec 23, 2019
  12. Pintglass

Pintglass GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    No I meant it would be the cause of your issues before you removed the short.

Is your switch working ok in ofw?

Check you've not shorted the D+ D- connections together.

I'm not sure what that connection is for in the strap diagram that your following (logic maybe) as power seems to be from the bat connection, @mattytrog will be able to help with this.

Last edited by Pintglass, Dec 23, 2019
  13. TheKiteKing

OP TheKiteKing Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Yeah it still works in OFW, just can't get it to boot into rcm mode. Thanks for the help.

14. Pintglass

Pintglass GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Take an image of your soldering so we can have a look

The Real Jdbye likes this.
  15. mattytrog

mattytrog You don`t want to listen to anything I say.

United Kingdom
    If you cannot get it to boot in RCM mode, there are several possibilities...

Missing / Incorrect "part1" uf2 file. Is it TRINKETBOOT? If so, this is incorrect. You need SWITCHBOOT part 1 file, or the Fusee Suite part 1 file for your chip.

Ensure you flash part 1 and part 2, if reflashing part 1.

Secondly, a bad strap somewhere.

Double-check Joycon strap and vol+ strap. If using my UF2s, if soldered correctly, press VOL+ and LED on chip should light.

There is also strap checking features.

Check your GND too. A poor GND can stop straps being pulled low (causes all sorts of issues).

Good luck sir!

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Unresponsive, Internal, Trinket