Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is an unofficial topic for it... but I am aspiring to create a complete (or at least more indepth) translation of Maplestory DS.

Sad thing is I have no idea where to start.
http://gbatemp.net/t224617-maplestory-patch-release-thread - Hoping to base my patch off of this. Waiting for clashthunder to get back to me on that (Seeing as how he was last online may 16th, I am unsure if this will happen...)

Regardless... I have no idea where to start T_T I downloaded the rom, that patch, DeSmuME, unpacked the patched rom with DSLazy, and I have a Hex editor, but otherwise... I am lost. Anyone got ideas?

Edit - FFUUU linked wrong topic >_>

suruz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
...You do know that a group of translators had already done quite a bit of the translation for this game?

They had even released a few patches, and nearly all the menu was translated :/

DarthNemesis also made a text extraction tool for them, which they used to do all that.

There's a link to it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?vmynnnzellm

...Btw do you even know Korean? If so, you might want to carry on from the existing patch?

QUOTE said:
Regardless... I have no idea where to start T_T I downloaded the rom, that patch, DeSmuME, unpacked the patched rom with DSLazy, and I have a Hex editor, but otherwise... I am lost. Anyone got ideas?

Sorry if you already knew about that patch, but I don't understand why else you would start from scratch :S

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah I sadly do not know Korean... I planned on using Google Translate coupled with common sense and my pre-existing knowledge of the Maple universe to make the best out of it that I could.

FFFUUUUU I linked the wrong topic, now I feel dumber >_> http://gbatemp.net/t224617-maplestory-patch-release-thread is the patch I am looking to use as the framework for mine, giving much credit where credit is due, I am waiting authorization from clashthunder (which he hasnt logged on in months...) only because he posted the topic. If you know someone higher up in that or more active on who I should contact, could ya let me know? =)

So I am looking to continue that patch, just having a menu translated doesnt cut it for me. I want to do this so I can se the story and also as a learning experience.

Thank you very much for linking me to that tool, I will check it out.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure why people think Google Translate is a good idea. I mean, I guess I could say I appreciate you wanting to work on the game, but Google Translate?

Reactions: Pablitox

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, first let me state I am not giving up that easily.

No translate tool is going to be the best because I do not know a single one that takes sentence structure and context into account. That is why I am using common sense and my existing Maple knowledge, and from there I am just gonna wing it. For example, I found what I believe to be Map labels, but I can't guarantee that... (I changed all the ones referencing Kerning to English, but the small box above the minimap is still Korean...)

Now maybe I am doing something wrong. But like I said, this is all a learning process for me. If not a single person on this planet appreciates whatever I accomplish, I can walk away from it with at least the knowledge I have gained from doing so, and the experience to maybe work on future projects.

This early into it, I am not looking for anyone to help me on the project, though once I get it moving I am sure I will need the help, possibly that of someone who does actually know Korean.

Right now though I am at a big roadblock, making me not want to continue until I can get it sorted out. The problem - once I try to exit the item or equip menu, the game freezes.

Edit - *sigh*... I WOULD be the one to download an older version of the patch T_T Yeah, newest patch fixes it because the old one didnt have the AP built in. Here goes
happy.gif

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Google Translate is the worst idea you could possibly think of.
Get an actual translator, cause google will tell you to spear someone in the treasure chest.
Seriously.

If you don't know where to start, then the best place to start would be learning romhacking. It's best to crawl before you sprint like this.

Reactions: Pablitox

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phoenixgoddess27 said:
google will tell you to spear someone in the treasure chest.
Made me lol...

So what do you mean actual translator? A purchasable (lol) program? Or someone who actually speaks the language?

And I know just because I SHOULD, I don't necessarily want to. If I were to jump into programming like I am for this, I would be at a dead end. I think I am getting it for the most part between using Mapletrans and DSLazy. The only thing is once I repack the rom with the updated texts, they don't seem to be applying. Either I am having bad organizational skills and not repacking it right, or I need to change the offsets. If it is offsets, I will go "FFFUUUUU" irl... but will manage (once I figure out how...)

You are right though, I do have no idea what I am doing, when looked at from an experienced hackers point of view. Have any guides to read up on, or a specific game I should try to hack should I go the route of rom hacking first? Idk what I would even do though besides changing tiles/sprites and modifying memory values.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know why they don't work? Cause you have no idea what to do.
Thus, learn romhacking.

It's not about inserting script and BOOM it's in the game!

Get an actual person to translate for you, not a program.

I can point you in the right direction, but if you think it's too much, don't bother to keep trying to cram your head with things you don't want to learn.

GameBoyAGS101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Google translate is not the worst tool ever... its just not the only thing you want to use... google translate a phrase, then correct the sentences using you best judgement... if google translator translates something to a bunch of random words, just make up a sentence to replace it.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Google translator is not a very accurate translator, it has it uses when you don't remember things like few kanjis and as a reference tool, but you should stay away from it if you want to translate a script, you will likely get very weird (and funny) results ( firewood minigame = maki assing game, can you even make sense of that?).

GameBoyAGS101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. I agree with what you say. But if Google translator gives you a ton of gibberish, that's where your knowledge of English comes in.

And if maki assing game shows up, or something similar, that's when you use only personal judgement without Google translate.

Google translator should only be used as a rough draft. A REALLY REALLY rough draft... Rough enough to sand diamonds with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021