Gaming unlocking my cpu

W.I.C.K.E.D.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I purchased the phenom II BE 550, and one of the proper motherboards to unlock it. When it arrived, my psu had died so I had to RMA it. My backup only has the 20 & 4 pin connectors(OEM 300w), meanwhile the motherboard has the 20 pin and two 4 pin connectors. When I tried to unlock it, the pc seemed to boot but nothing appeared on the screen, basically like it was staying in sleep mode. I only had one 4 pin connector plugged in, so I wasn't sure if unlocking made the cpu a 120w from the 80w it started as in dual mode. I thought this might be why, although I know all of them don't unlock as they could be faulty cores. I don't care that much as I use it for gaming so it will be fine regardless, but figured I'd ask so I had an idea if it'd even be worth it when I get my 650w psu with the two 4 pin connectors back to attempt again. I thought it might be a lack of power as the motherboard can handle up to 140w but I imagine it requires the 20 and two 4 pin power connectors to all be plugged in, not just a single 4 pin. Any help would be appreciated, or advice. I'm using the correct bios just for a little extra info in case anyone thinks that that could be the issue.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
It could very well be that the 20pins connector isn't enough to power the CPU (in unlocked mode), however as you do have a P4 connector..... The extra 4 wires on the ATX were added mainly for that purpose; providing 3 extra power lines to the board (3,3 5 and 12V). If those are connected again on the board however it shouldn't matter as long as the PSU can provide enough power. Remember though, the PSU you are using now probably isn't an ATX2.x psu, thus it isn;t providing what is expected by the board (probably less 12V, and more 5V and 3.3V).

One thing you could try right now is lowering the clocks of the processor (a lot) and it's voltage in the hopes of then, after unlocking it, drawing less power and thus being able to run the proc. Then again just try again with the new PSU. Not sure if there is anything else that could be causing it (aside from clocks being too high on the 'defective' cores......, you could test that the same way as explained above).

W.I.C.K.E.D.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, the OEM I have on it right now only has 1 four pin connector, so when the replacement for the actual one I use comes back, I'm hoping that it will allow me to. I'll try what you said, I just wasn't sure. I assumed that extra 4 pin connector was to supply the extra power for the higher end cpus, so I guess that could play a role being it only has one as of right now.

Edit: The psu that I RMA'd and am receiving a replacement for is SLI certified, 650w so I believe it should have enough power. It only has 2 four pin connectors, I usually used the spare prior to this new mobo for the gpu I have. I do have a wire converter to change the other power cables to a 4 pin, so I should be able to put the two 4 pins to the motherboard, and use the adaptor for my graphics card.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
drwrir said:
yeah, the OEM I have on it right now only has 1 four pin connector, so when the replacement for the actual one I use comes back, I'm hoping that it will allow me to. I'll try what you said, I just wasn't sure. I assumed that extra 4 pin connector was to supply the extra power for the higher end cpus, so I guess that could play a role being it only has one as of right now.

Edit: The psu that I RMA'd and am receiving a replacement for is SLI certified, 650w so I believe it should have enough power. It only has 2 four pin connectors, I usually used the spare prior to this new mobo for the gpu I have. I do have a wire converter to change the other power cables to a 4 pin, so I should be able to put the two 4 pins to the motherboard, and use the adaptor for my graphics card.
Read up on ATX power standards
wink.gif
. PCI-E connectors =/= 4pins mobo connectors =/= 4 pins extention on the 20pins original ATX standard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    B @ btjunior: i love sigma meals, skibidi slicers!!