Question Unlinking nands

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by AliceOnDrugs, Oct 17, 2018.

1. AliceOnDrugs
    OP

AliceOnDrugs Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2018
    Argentina
    Hello guys, yesterday I made my emunand with sx 2.1 and everything went fine, but I don't understand what unlinking nands is and if it's necessary. Only got one sd card and I'm pretty confused right now about this.

Can someone explain me what the band unlinking means and whether or not it's necessary?

Thanks in advance

2. reminon

reminon GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    At least in the 3ds days, linked nands shared saves, installed games, and such. If you format one, both get formatted. If you unlink them, both get their own directories respectively. Allowing for a cleaner emunand experience.

3. Kukielka

Kukielka GBAtemp Regular

Jul 11, 2018
    Germany
    Highly recommend NOT using SX OS "emunand".
    Since there are about 20 threads about this topic i wont go into further detail.

4. Dustii

Dustii Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Netherlands
    Link a few ;) The only thread I can remember is one that came to the conclusion that's it perfectly fine to use the current implementation of emuNAND.

CrAzYLiFe and thaikhoa like this.
  5. Kukielka

Kukielka GBAtemp Regular

Jul 11, 2018
    Germany
  6. jajamundo

jajamundo GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2009
    United States
    Ok this is the ONLY thread you need to read

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-does-sx-os-emunand-work.518936/

This is the only one with really answers and not just expecullations

Is always better to unlink your Nands. Use your emuNand to all your homebrew stuffs (XCI, NSP, etc) and your sysNand to all your legit stuffs. It actaully works like the 3DS, but you'll need two separates SD cards. One for your sysNand and the otherone for your emuNand (Not totally sure if you actually can use one SD for boths Nands)

In order to unlink Nands just restore to a factory reset your sysNand. It keep all your files to your emuNand

7. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 16, 2008
    You have to unlink them. The reason is when linking Sysnand and Emunand will share the same Nintendo folder on your SD while having different ticketblobs. When Emunand installed more games than Sysnand, all of them on Emunand will be archived completely when trying to access Sysnand after a deep reboot, access Data Management or download game on eShop. Because Sysnand's ticketblob doesn't recognize the installed data.

Thus, we need to unlink them. When booting to a wrong nand with wrong Nintendo folder, the system will ask you to DELETE rather than DELETE without asking when linking nands.