Unity CEO John Riccitiello to step down

john-riccitiello-unity.jpg

John Riccitiello has stepped down as CEO of Unity, the company announced earlier this week in a press release. While his retirement as CEO, Chairman and a member of the Company’s Board of Directors was effective immediately, Riccitiello will continue to advise Unity to ensure a smooth transition. James Whitehurst, former Senior Advisor at IBM, has been appointed Interim CEO, President and a member of the Board.

While the press release did not specify the reason for Riccitiello's retirement, the news follows a recent controversial move by the company under his leadership which would have charged developers a fee whenever someone downloads their Unity-made game. Unity attempted to clarify its statement and said that they will be making amendments to the policy; but the initial announcement was considered as a breach of trust by the developer and gamer community and how much of that trust can be salvaged remains to be seen.

:arrow: SOURCE

LokeYourLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Absolutely no one saw that one coming at all, and it's a mystery to us all as to why someone as talented as him who CLEARLY loves the company from his heart and supports its journey would depart the company and leave them behind, just to then be worse off without him. Such a travesty.

-Said no one ever

Good riddance cucklord, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Or actually, you know, DO LET THE DOOR HIT YOU FACE FIRST ON THE WAY OUT. No one will miss that pack of genital warts.

Kitocco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On top of the one he already got by selling Unity stocks right before they announced their new pricing scheme.
Nothing is ever enough for these "people". They must have all the money, ALL the time. Every dollar that's ever been made or ever WILL be made.

Good. RIddance. If there's any good contribution he's made in recent memory is being potential inspiration for Damon Riccitiello in No More Heroes after he helped gut Shadows of the Damned in the name of mass appeal, which DEFINITELY helped the game in the end!

And almost... JUST almost giving Bill Mahr competition for "most hateable face alive".

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My take on this... feel free to use it for the next GBAtemp webcomic:
Investors: You're not getting enough money for us! We need to bleed you dry!
John: We're doing great, but we can do better!
Investors: Hey! We've got an idea! Why not charge every developer who uses your software for every app install?
John: That sounds like a good idea! I'll present it to the board and see if they like it.
(The board agrees, and the change is made)
Developers: (angrily) DOWN WITH UNITY! DOWN WITH UNITY!
John: But we're getting more money! (notices that devs are dropping support for the platform) ...Oh, wait. No, we're not.
(In the next scene, the investors and board of directors throw out John from the corporate building, along with his desktop computer, some books, and a 3D-printed model of the Unity logo.)

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i'll post this here as well

the bastard 100% planned this so he could steal the loot and run while unity sinks. of course he just happened to sell all his shares before he did this. corrupt slimy cunt people who do business like this should be shot

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If he is still allowed on the premises, then hes not actually leaving.

Granted, I thought someone made an attempt on his life years ago; I literally had no idea he was running Unity at all until this debacle became public.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
This is some good news, but this won't fix the reputation that Unity had already received. I hope that this is really the end for the controversy surrounding Unity though.

Actually take that back. Unity was never a great language to begin with with all of those small, annoying games people just make for fun.

Axmand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The Unity fiasco that he started, sure it going to be a black stain in his currículum, including his failure in EA, i bet that he will start a new company...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work