Unity 3DS game that i made crashes when i start it

Marko2155

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
So i just made a little 3d movement demo in Unity and built it with the Nintendo 3DS platform, however when i run it, it basically crashes. I have a photo of it on a real 3DS XL and a video of me trying it on an emulator, along with a photo of the Unity project.
20230103_185134.jpg
20230103_185108.jpg
20230103_184959.jpg

Deleted member 610824

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
First of all, props to you for making this, looks pretty cool.
Second of all, are you sure you haven't screwed up something in your code? There may be something there wrong.
Third, are you sure the assets are not too big to display on the 3DS? The 3DS has a tiny resolution.
Fourth, I'm seeing you have an old 3DS XL, judging from no C-stick in the photo. Have you optimised the game to run on o3DS, because most Unity games on 3DS only run on New 3DS.

Marko2155

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
The code is just moving the capsule's Rigidbody to make the capsule move, nothing special there. I haven't imported any assets to the scene, just a Player capsule and a Cubefor the floor. I switched the versions to run on in Unity to New + O. I could send the project if you wanted. However, you will need Unity for 3DS, which is pretty easy to find on the Internet Archive. There's only 1 warning that says "Shader 'Standard' uses 5 texture parameters, more than the 4 supported by the current graphics device".

Last edited by Marko2155,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
You have to be really careful with memory usage on old3ds, you can run out in a hurry without really trying. This is, in fact, why Unity devs recommend only using Unity3DS on new3ds.

As a recent, real-life example, this guy was facing similar memory issues with Unity, and he discusses here in this video about how he got around them (he's the Silver Falls: 3 stars down dev, Jerrel Dulay)

Last edited by zoogie,

Deleted member 610824

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
As a recent, real-life example, this guy was facing similar memory issues with Unity, and he discusses here in this video about how he got around them (he's the Silver Falls: 3 stars down dev, Jerrel Dulay)

Never expected to see this guy being talked about here. But yes, his dev logs are useful for learning some programming and design stuff, especially about Unity 3DS.

Marko2155

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
How does my 3DS game have mem issues? The only thing that's there is a cube, a material for the cube, a capsule and a player script attached to it.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, the thread had something that was wrong. The New + O that i mentioned was actually O3DS. I switched it to New + O and now i get a "Failed to make ROM (.cci)" error. I switched it back to O3DS and it fxed it.

Last edited by Marko2155,

IceCat-Studios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
make all the materials use vertex shaders (legacy shaders) and import the 'SkyboxExample' (before that, bake all lightmaps in scene) and just use the cubemap in the 3DS skybox shader

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.