Hacking Undoing Hacking

Ruuroga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question about un-hacking the Wii.

Essentially, I am giving my old console to a friend and I wanted to return it to factory default settings. I previously hacked it so that it could play games off of a hard drive and run ROMs etc.

I know there's a button on the settings menu which says "Format," so my question is, since it's currently in a "hacked" state, if I hit the format button will it brick the console? Or could I just use that to restore everything to normal? Also, just in case my friend decides to change his mind later, will I be able to hack the wii again using the same methods from before?

Sorry if this question is a bit ridiculous, I don't really know anything about technology so any information would be a great help! Thanks for reading! I appreciate it!

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried formatting a softmodded wii and the custom ios is remain untouch, but the channels games or homebrews or apps, all of them will be deleted, same with your save games.

so after formatted, my wii is still softmodded, I can still boot cfg loader using priiloader set as autoboot.

afaik, to remove softmods in wii, the simplest way is to restore your NAND backup and assuming you use modmii's way of soft modding a wii then you can just restore that using your backup NAND, then after you restore it, just rerun hackmii installer and uninstall bootmii and hbc, after that your wii is in state as it was before you soft mod it.

the other way to remove softmod is reinstall the unmodified wads to the wii, but may be risky. I hope that modmii has a simple way to do this using the wizard. but in logic, you can just downgrade you wii to v4.1 then using a fairly recent game to update your wii to v4.3 using the disc update, just make sure that you use the same region game disc as youre console region is, or else you may get this famous error 003.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Formatting only removes all Wii Shop information and known installed titles.

Don't downgrade the console unless you want the chance of it being a doorstop. Just remove the homebrew channel and any forwarders you may have installed. Unless you patched Nintendo's IOSes the console will function as if it didn't have anything on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdXfFsgvkE