TobiasAmaranth

OP
Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I've decided to try and create a custom theme for the 3DS, but I've kind of run up against the wall of wisdom, and I was hoping someone here might notice the quality of my current progress and think they can give me a hand.

Here's what I've got so far:
http://tobias.kemonoart.org/Undertails/

Top Screen:
Theme_Top.png

Monster Friends font
Images from Wiki, manually edited for transparency and downscaled 50%.
I believe this portion of the theme I would consider to be completed :3

Bottom Screen:
Theme_Bottom_Animated.png

Animated (Tile)
Alternative would be solid black, but it fits well in theory.
Another completed feature.

Bonus Badges!:
A self-created panel of badges for folder decoration to be included with the theme pack.
(Suggestions for more are welcome)

Music:
[See Main Link]
Underveil Track 10, Dogdance
First 2 minutes created a great loop point. :3
Thanks to @Kyouken for helping me with conversions. It should be ready to go!

SFX (Selected!):
Move Cursor - Main Menu Select
Launch App - Double Bark
Create/Delete Folder - Greater Dog Bark
Close App - Save Activated
Open 3DS - Multi Bark
Bottom Screen 1/3 - Strange 1
Bottom Screen 2 - Strange 2
Pretty sure these are my final selections for this. Just be glad I didn't put any meowing into it! ;)
Help Needed! - I still need assistance with conversion/finalization.

Folders (Planned):
MenuAfterTruePacifistEnding-0.png

I think that using this same decoration for the folders would provide a lovely home for badge decoration. Outside of that, the texture should have a nice soft 'official' rounding to give it some depth.
Help Needed! - I am incapable of completing this feature and am seeking outside help.

Borders (Planned):
White outside, black inside, textured for depth and, while not standard for Undertale, rounded for the sake of looking nice with Nintendo's UI.
Help Needed! - I am incapable of completing this feature and am seeking outside help.

Other Features?:
I would like to make use of all of the features available to a custom theme, so that everything feels cohesive and attractive. Expertise on this is appreciated~!

Last edited by TobiasAmaranth, , Reason: Update!

TobiasAmaranth

OP
Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
I would definitely appreciate help. I feel like I have most of the basics done at this point, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I don't quite understand color theory enough to tweak the menu colors or craft an amazing looking folder icon, and I'm very unsure what the 'border' part actually refers to. I think the next step, for me, is going to be to at least pick what samples I want to use for the various sound effects, even if I don't know how exactly to use them yet.

If anyone thinks they can help me with those specific elements, I would consider some collaborative work via Skype until it is finished. I spent about 7 hours last night working on this (I originally tried to make the top screen animate, and it would have been amazing, but that can't be done. Nuuuu!) so I'd like to see it turned into a useable state! XD

D

Deleted User

Sometime today I'll convert the music for you and make it loop, as well as isolate the barks. Shouldn't be too hard.

TobiasAmaranth

OP
Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
@Kyouken - Oh, sweet! Let me get you a better raw. That site seems to have munched the quality some. Better to start out with the best quality and then decrease from there.

http://tobias.kemonoart.org/Undertails/ It's nice havin' my own FTP. Anyway, the raw is in there, as well as my work files for most of this stuff. Right now I'm ripping some Endogeny noises to experiment with for "Bottom screen - frame" noises. Is that list the full list of possible noises? https://i.imgur.com/NC7q0Ec.png I was thinking a single bark for move cursor, double bark for launch app and something paralleling it for close app, and then the multi-bark at the very end would be a good one for Open 3DS.

Does anyone have any strong examples for Folder / Border images?

---

Edit: Endogeny.mp3 added. I was thinking somewhere between 7.7 sec and 15 sec for the sound files on 'page turning'. But I don't know how that particular sound playback works when it comes to longer sounds. Since it's 1-2-3-2 for the page turning, does that also make the sound 1-2-3-2? If so, separating a single pulse into three sounds wouldn't sound good. But if the longer sounds get interrupted or play simultaneously, I worry it'd sound really bad with the longer sounds. I guess it'll take some experimentation, or another route entirely.

---

Edit: Starting to figure out what I want for the folders, though with Undertale being such a crisp game, I'm at a loss as to how to texture things. Though, with my Photoshop limited to CS3, I am going to try asking @Ryumaru directly if he'd be willing to pitch in. It can be good to ask an expert. Going to edit the top post a bit with my new intentions.

---

Edit: Sound effects! https://onedrive.live.com/download?...3292&authkey=!AA0pe-3qmSFl65U&ithint=file,zip Time to dig around. Some of my earlier ideas stand, but I'm definitely going to look into these files and see if something sounds good to me. No sense making ~everything~ 'Annoying Dog' :P

Last edited by TobiasAmaranth, , Reason: SFX
D

Deleted User

Quality won't be the greatest due to having to resample the file, but here:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/c9i6yom9ahw44/Dog

I included the BCSTM, BRSTM, and the WAV. I'll update the folder with the barking sound effect from the same song shortly.

Question: are you saying you want that sound from the MP3 you uploaded isolated? Not quite sure what you're referencing when you say "1-2-3-2" either...

Reactions: TobiasAmaranth

TobiasAmaranth

OP
Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I realize it's probably a bit longer than these things usually are. A good length for a track is probably about a minute twenty to preserve quality. I assume you at least spotted the direct download. :3

Thanks, btw. :D

I'm digging in that Undertale SFX rip right now to see what SFX I actually need. For example, 00002992.wav is the multi-bark, so I may not actually need such things ripped. Let me keep poking and I'll edit this momentarily.

As far as 1-2-3-2, I'm referring to the animation sequence planned for the bottom screen. I don't know what effect that has on the SFX, so I don't quite know what I'm aiming for atm. Again, gonna poke at this and see if anything stands out.

---

Edit: Okay, so I've got most everything picked out for SFX. I'm still unsure what I'd like for the page scrolling noise. I've analyzed one of my current 'official' themes to help my brainstorming but I just haven't come to any conclusions yet.

The quality of your upload works just fine. :D Sounds good to me. I'll download it and add it to my FTP. Uploading the SFX I've selected, too.

http://tobias.kemonoart.org/Undertails/

For now, don't worry about any edits to the Endongeny thing. If anything, it's this track here that would be used for edits: youtube.com/watch?v=2Pf_liZf5I8 But I don't think I'm going to go that route. For now: Seeking more advice on SFX - Bottom screen - frame X.

Last edited by TobiasAmaranth,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

I think I'm understanding now... the sound effect will always be one static thing when you flip the page, so to speak.

I'll wait to see if you do need that bark sound and the other one, in that case. For the bark, that's the sample from Mario Paint, and the other one is titled 'mus_woofenstein.ogg' in Undertale's game files, for reference.

Last edited by , , Reason: realization of concept sunk in

TobiasAmaranth

OP
Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
*Nod* Check my link again. And feel free to make a suggestion or two for the page turning noise(s). Either a pair of alternating sounds, a single sound, or something that works well under a 1-2-3-2 rhythm.

From here, what's left is someone with artistic expertise for the Folders, Borders, and Color palette selections. Aside from that, while digging in the official resources, I found a few other Tobydog sprites that I might decorate the upper screen with. Fire, bone, and some other stuff LOL...

D

Deleted User

For suggestions on the page turning sound effect, 29F5, 29FB, 2A4D, and 2A4F sounded like they might fit (although, they're not dog noises). Other than that, I can't really help you with the artsy stuff. If you do decide you want some of that Woofenstein track chopped up, let me know some time codes.

TobiasAmaranth

OP
Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
I was looking at *cross references* 2a3e, 2a3f, and 2a40. Shyren distorted sing 1, 2, and 3. I am not sure if it would be too annoying in practice or not. I'm thinking most of what you suggested is a bit on the long side for this purpose, and each sound sample should be about .3 seconds. Actually... 2a68 and 2a69 (Strange 1 and 2) might work even better. The tone mixes decently with the cursor movement, and gives an okay contrast to the background music. Yeah, I think I'll go with those. :3

And @ artsy, I know. I'm hoping someone else will show some interest if I can get it almost completed otherwise. My palette selection skills are pretty bad, and it's even worse when I don't really fully understand what corresponds with what. (Usagi probably helps but I lack confidence in this topic either way.) So we'll see if someone is willing to step forward. In the short term, I'm going to try a few tweaks to what I've already got.

---

Edit: Updated the main post with today's edits to Top and Bottom, and the completion of the Music / progress on SFX. :D

Last edited by TobiasAmaranth,
Reactions: Deleted User

TobiasAmaranth

OP
Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
http://tobias.kemonoart.org/Undertails/Undertails Beta v0.1.zip

Threw together a quick beta version to get some feedback. This gives me a good idea what sort of colors I want for the final theme; that silvery grey it defaults to looks rather nice overall, and probably reds for the cursor. I plan to bump the Endogeny down a few pixels, but I think it looks better faded like that than it would have been as pure white. I'm not 100% satisfied with "Strange" for the page transition. I'm not sure what I want to have instead, though. I'll figure it out.

Still looking for someone to help me with Folders and Borders.

And to answer that last post, because I had hoped to catch a few more eyeballs through a topic titled Undertale since this isn't a project I can complete on my own to the standards I want. :) I understand it's better form to post in the meta thread, and I'll try there once I'm a bit further along.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.