Hacking Question understanding EmuNAND partitioning, whats the point?

.d&n

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Question:
Whats the point of Partitioning the SD card before creating emuMMC (emuNAND) aka sysMMC (sysNAND) ?
The guides recommends for you to do it before creating emuMMC, i just dont understand why the need to and lose ~30GB of SD storage.

The point: 2 benefits
⁃ Keep sysMMC clean from any traces of homebrew and be able to play your legals online plus eShop (nintendo servers)
⁃ All homebrew stuff done internally is recorded in emuMMC folder in the accessible partition .
Please correct me if im wrong here.

What I understand:
When created, a folder emuMMC appears in the root of the accessible partition (this folder makes the switch think as if it is the internal storage) so anything you do system internally like game saves or installing games it will instead go into this folder. Reason for this is to keep the sysNAND untouched (clean state) and to be able to play your legals online. The other inaccessible partition is the one in question, cannot be opened or rather not recognised and is roughy 30GB.
Please correct me if my understanding of this is wrong.

Question:
Why go through the partition step but instead just go ahead create emuMMC saving you ~30GB. I assume you have your emuMMC folder either way which is the whole point of having emuMMC.
Please correct me if my assumption is wrong.

The problem:
The SD card will have homebrew contents shown either way. Not like theres an emuSD where if you cold boot normally your SD will only have the ‘Nintendo’ folder on the first partition and when cold boot with atmosphere/hakete you switch to the 2nd partition and your SD will then display all homebrew files and folders. Am i right so far?

Maybe Im misunderstanding somthing or doing somthing wrong with my setup

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because creating emuMMC is a process to copy 1:1 NAND storage, so you need to sacrifice the same amount of storage that NAND uses.
emummc folder on accessible partition is to avoid rewriting sysMMC data that is stored on sdcard like your screenshots, games, etc.

They are two different things.

.d&n

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Because creating emuMMC is a process to copy 1:1 NAND storage, so you need to sacrifice the same amount of storage that NAND uses.
emummc folder on accessible partition is to avoid rewriting sysMMC data that is stored on sdcard like your screenshots, games, etc.

They are two different things.

Oh ok, so does that mean i can go ahead unpartitioned the inaccessible one since im done with the process?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/rMHTo4sAYKA?si=UTMogWR09JOPIPF_