PS1/2 Underrated PS2 hidden gems?

BrolysSecondComing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We all know about great PS2 games like God of War, GTA, and Sly Cooper.

But what are some underrated gems? Some great games you only found out about thanks to those big lists of all PS2 games ever, sometimes in video form with 10 seconds of gameplay each?

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yakuza 2, Micro Machines and Odin Sphere are the three games that pop to mind that have always been under the radar despite being brilliant for their time! There are a LOT more, but those are the main ones if we want to keep the list short.

PS1 and PS2 both had HUNDREDS of hidden gems, especially if you count the Japan-exclusives (eg: PS1 Japan-exclusive Shaman King is amazing to this day and so is the Bakusou Kyoudai game).

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here are the 3 games I would recommend.

1. Gregory Horror Show

Based on the animation of the same name, Gregory Horror Show was a rather surreal title starring block-head characters. It was a survival horror-style adventure set in a strange hotel run by a anthropomorphic mouse, and inhabited by guests who carry the souls of the dead.

Your goal was to collect these souls and return them to Death, but the guests didn't part with their soul bottles easily, and after you collected a soul, that guests turned hostile, roaming the hotel looking for you. More guests check in as you progressed, opening up more of the hotel, and in order to succeed later on, stealth needed to be used to avoid enemies.

It was a refreshingly different take on survival horror, and one that not enough people discovered. Shame.

2. Mister Mosquito

One of the strangest ideas for a game you'll see, Mister Mosquito placed you in the role of a cartoon mosquito who has to suck the blood of various members of a family as they went about their daily lives.

Sucking blood isn't as simple as it sounds, though, and you had to find the right spot on the body that'll let you go unnoticed, and if your target started to become aware, you needed to retreat, lest you be squashed into mush.

With typically Japanese style, and some surprisingly well-handled gameplay, Mister Mosquito is a title you should check out.

3. Rez

Rez is one of those classic games that always finds its way onto lists like these, as well as best game ever lists, but at the same time it's also a game that many people have either never heard of, or simply dismissed.

A music shooter, Rez is a trip for the eyes and the ears. It's an on rails shooter that ties the onscreen action and your success to the music. As you fight, you add music and sound effects to the soundtrack, and your onscreen avatar transforms. Everything in the game reacts to the beat of the music, and the Panzer Dragoon-style controls and impressive bosses all make for a short, but unforgettable shooting experience.

It's a game that's often used in the argument of games being art, and it's one of the most stylish and addictive shooters around.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rogue Galaxy anyone? :creep:

Also I can't mention bully since is mostly just grand theft auto but with a lower esrb rating right? :ninja:
I wouldn't say rogue Galaxy is underrated though as its normally always on every single list of the best PS2 games.

Reactions: Alexander1970

LizardGenes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shadow of Memories by Konami. A really unique third-person adventure with time travel mechanics and an interesting setting. They released it the same year as MGS2, so it's no wonder it got overlooked at the time. It has Charles "Mario" Martinet doing a really creepy voice for the main antagonist in it.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shadow of Memories by Konami. A really unique third-person adventure with time travel mechanics and an interesting setting. They released it the same year as MGS2, so it's no wonder it got overlooked at the time. It has Charles "Mario" Martinet doing a really creepy voice for the main antagonist in it.
Yep that game is bloody awesome and also available for the xbox pc and psp.

LizardGenes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yep that game is bloody awesome and also available for the xbox pc and psp.
So it is! I forget Konami did ports of some of their games to PC and Xbox, like Silent Hill 2 and MGS1 & 2. I always associate them with the PS brand. But yeah, Shadow of Memories was short but sweet. Played it twice near back to back, which is rare for me, lol.

Reactions: AmandaRose

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Seek and Destroy was one game I always loved on PS2 that I never really hear talked about. Vehicular combat, but with tons of different tanks and a fairly ok selection of weapons. Really fun multiplayer, and the story mode was pretty decent, too. Got meh reviews from critics, but fuck em' cuz I spent way too many hours playing it.

...which I think I'm going to end up doing now :lol:

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think if you like rpgs then shadow hearts series
other than that I would go Tony Hawks Downhill Jam (best version because no motion controls)
or Midnight Club III Dub Edition

D

Deleted User

Oni
Mark of Kri
Auto Modellista

I could just slap the whole list of PS2 ISOs that I have in there. It's only games I'd consider worth playing.

bell1-1010

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Berserk (i think is called the millennium falcon) is outstanding, it’s only being released in japan, but someone made a translation patch..
It’s an hack and slash where you wield a sword almost as big as yourself and instead of an arm you’ve got a cannon...

BrolysSecondComing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seek and Destroy was one game I always loved on PS2 that I never really hear talked about. Vehicular combat, but with tons of different tanks and a fairly ok selection of weapons. Really fun multiplayer, and the story mode was pretty decent, too. Got meh reviews from critics, but fuck em' cuz I spent way too many hours playing it.

...which I think I'm going to end up doing now :lol:
Honestly man fuck all critics. They call trash films good if they're popular and call good films trash if they hate the film"s fans.

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I really like Onimusha 3!
But Bujingai: The Forsaken City and in Europe as Bujingai: Swordmaster is really good if you like hack & slash games.
Gungrave is also a nice game.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Most underrated games in my collection are kuri kuri mix, Samurai Jack and Blood Will Tell. Don't forget Gitarooman ;)
Played the PSP version of Gitarooman two days ago, great game rhythm mechanics-wise, BUT VA is just so damn cringey I couldn't stand it:rofl2:

WarioWaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Metaljesus has a decent series on this. idk how hidden/underrated they are but I enjoyed the shadow hearts series and skygunner.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night.