Unbricking a Wii U booting to Master Title 10066000 instead of 10040100

Degenx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought a Wii U over the weekend at a thift store, and when I got it home, I found out it was bricked. It hangs on the Wii U boot screen.

I was able to dump the system logs using Recovery Menu and I noticed that the Master Boot section, shows it's booting to 1006000 instead of the stock 10040100. Anyone have any idea what 100600 may be? I'm trying to figure out what they did to brick, so I can figure out how to fix it. Any leads of what 1006000 is and how I may go about fixing this would be appreciated. I've attached the system logs anyone wants to take a peak at those.

00;00;07;354: TEST COOKIE: YOSHI-1992-11-21-00-00-00
00;00;07;356: DIAG:Issued KiPrepareTitleAsync(0x0005001010066000)
00:00:08:236: MCP: did not find 'preload.txt' at '/vol/storage_mlc01/sys/title/00050010/10066000/code', rval -196631
00:00:08:236: MCP: Preparing eco_process.rpx
00:00:08:242: MCP: Mapping /vol/content to /vol/storage_mlc01/sys/title/00050010/10066000/content

Attachments

• Log.zip
    507.5 KB · Views: 40

Degenx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! I had the WUPServer up and running and was poking around in Wii U, but it looks like that only gives me access MLC unless I'm just dense.

I've never used python scripts before today and my Wii U will not actually display the recovery menu, so between teaching myself Python scripts on the fly and using recovery menu blind, I'm kinda happy I got this far. :lol:

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! I had the WUPServer up and running and was poking around in Wii U, but it looks like that only gives me access MLC unless I'm just dense.

I've never used python scripts before today and my Wii U will not actually display the recovery menu, so between teaching myself Python scripts on the fly and using recovery menu blind, I'm kinda happy I got this far. :lol:
Hmm, not sure what to do in this event. There's a script that will fix a cbhc brick, but that 00050010 should be a system title.

Degenx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently looking at everything in the sys/title/00050010/1006600/ folder. If I backup everything there, I wonder what would happen if I just copy everything from the 10040100/ to 1006600/ folder. At least that way startup is pointing to the right folder?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently looking at everything in the sys/title/00050010/1006600/ folder. If I backup everything there, I wonder what would happen if I just copy everything from the 10040100/ to 1006600/ folder. At least that way startup is pointing to the right folder?
Nm, it's not.
Post automatically merged:

You could try it.

Degenx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm doing a full backup of the mlc via the WUPclient, so it's gonna take awhile to download. Just gonna let it do it's thing overnight and start messing around with the files once I know I have a full backup.

GaryOderNichts

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm not at my PC right now. I can check through the logs later.

This is not a good idea. Changing the startup title id would be a better idea, if that's the case.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wonder why nobody looks up that title ID, so I did: 00050010-1006600 is the ECO process. As gary said you should not overwrite this. Instead wait for someone experienced to read your logs.

GaryOderNichts

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ended up looking through your logs. The logs which start the eco process are all from within eco mode, so this is intended behaviour.

00;00;07;354: TEST COOKIE: YOSHI-1992-11-21-00-00-00
00;00;07;356: DIAG:Issued KiPrepareTitleAsync(0x0005001010066000)
00:00:08:236: MCP: did not find 'preload.txt' at '/vol/storage_mlc01/sys/title/00050010/10066000/code', rval -196631
00:00:08:236: MCP: Preparing eco_process.rpx
00:00:08:242: MCP: Mapping /vol/content to /vol/storage_mlc01/sys/title/00050010/10066000/content
A bit further upwards in that logs you'll find
Code:
00:00:01:076: MCP: System is in ECO Mode

The latest few logs (6-10.log) all fail to load the set.rpx due to a data corruption error. It does load the Wii U menu successfully first though, so I don't see why it would be stuck on a Wii U screen.
Unfortunately if data corruption is the actual issue this is a hardware issue.
Code:
00:00:33:219: FSA: ### DATA CORRUPTION ERROR ###, dev:mlc01, err:-1245211, cmd:11, path:(null)
Code:
mdblk: err=-131099, mid=0x90, prv=0x5c, pnm=[HYNIX ]

Lazr1026

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Degenx would you be interested in sending the console to me? ive been wanting a console i can experiment with, in this case replacing the eMMC with a new one.

Degenx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you @GaryOderNichts, @V10lator and @godreborn !
Trying to understand what was going on in the logs, I was comparing the brick Wii U logs to the logs of a working Wii U I own, and that's why I though the Eco mode had something to due with bricking as my working Wii U did not have eco mode in the same spot of the log. I got hung up on the first difference I saw and completely glossed over the big honking data corruption!

I really do appreciate everyone taking time to chime in and offer guidance on this!
Post automatically merged:

@Degenx would you be interested in sending the console to me? ive been wanting a console i can experiment with, in this case replacing the eMMC with a new one.
I already have someone that has expressed interest in the console, but if they no longer want it, I'll be in touch!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you @GaryOderNichts, @V10lator and @godreborn !
Trying to understand what was going on in the logs, I was comparing the brick Wii U logs to the logs of a working Wii U I own, and that's why I though the Eco mode had something to due with bricking as my working Wii U did not have eco mode in the same spot of the log. I got hung up on the first difference I saw and completely glossed over the big honking data corruption!

I really do appreciate everyone taking time to chime in and offer guidance on this!
Sorry it couldn't be better news. I didn't look up the title id, since my laptop is down atm, but it's not like I know enough to figure out a log file. Lol. Anyway, I knew Gary would know how to decipher it. ;)

Degenx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry it couldn't be better news. I didn't look up the title id, since my laptop is down atm, but it's not like I know enough to figure out a log file. Lol. Anyway, I knew Gary would know how to decipher it. ;)
It's all good! I got this Wii U with all hookup, manual, gamepad, pro controller and 2 generic controllers for $50, so I still got a good deal on it. The console being bricked is fine, as I still got a deal on all the hookups. It was more about learning about the Wii U as I've never owned one before.

Mostly I've worked on the various Xboxs and Playstations, so I'm familiar with how things work those systems. The Wii U is was something new, so I jumped at diving head on into a brick. :)

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The latest few logs (6-10.log) all fail to load the set.rpx due to a data corruption error. It does load the Wii U menu successfully first though, so I don't see why it would be stuck on a Wii U screen.
Unfortunately if data corruption is the actual issue this is a hardware issue.
Code:
00:00:33:219: FSA: ### DATA CORRUPTION ERROR ###, dev:mlc01, err:-1245211, cmd:11, path:(null)
Code:
mdblk: err=-131099, mid=0x90, prv=0x5c, pnm=[HYNIX ]
It's such a waste really - all that it would take to recover from such errors is a recovery mode baked into the bootrom that accepts signed update files off of the SD card or something, like what the Xbox One and Series have - maybe theirs aren't baked into the bootrom, but "baked into bootrom" is the best place for such failsafes.

Lazr1026

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's such a waste really - all that it would take to recover from such errors is a recovery mode baked into the bootrom that accepts signed update files off of the SD card or something, like what the Xbox One and Series have - maybe theirs aren't baked into the bootrom, but "baked into bootrom" is the best place for such failsafes.
That would not help an already dying NAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    It's the Switcheroo
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's the Switcheroo