Hacking Unable to update to OFW 6.61 from CFW 3.71 M33-2. Help needed.

beholder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I am very new to the PSP and recently acquired a PSP-1001 (Phat) model but it is running an extremely old version CFW 3.71 M33-2. I am trying to run some UMD games I purchased and it is saying it requires at least OFW version 6.37 to run. Upon trying to run the System updater via the UMD it gives an error saying error reading disc (80010005). I also get the same error when trying to update the system to OFW 6.61 via the memory card (80010005) and subsequently (80020321). I can read and write to the memory card in USB mode and the update files and recovery apps like Hellcat or Kronosswitch are available under the memory card in the games menu. I tried running Kronosswitch but it also complains about not being on a support firmware level. Not sure where I go from here, I am fine going to an updated CFW or OFW just want to play these games I bought. I've looked through various articles but one of the hardest problems has been trying to find links to any source files that work, the old version of my current CFW seems to make it especially more difficult to update in any way shape or form. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

kaymynd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I am very new to the PSP and recently acquired a PSP-1001 (Phat) model but it is running an extremely old version CFW 3.71 M33-2. I am trying to run some UMD games I purchased and it is saying it requires at least OFW version 6.37 to run. Upon trying to run the System updater via the UMD it gives an error saying error reading disc (80010005). I also get the same error when trying to update the system to OFW 6.61 via the memory card (80010005) and subsequently (80020321). I can read and write to the memory card in USB mode and the update files and recovery apps like Hellcat or Kronosswitch are available under the memory card in the games menu. I tried running Kronosswitch but it also complains about not being on a support firmware level. Not sure where I go from here, I am fine going to an updated CFW or OFW just want to play these games I bought. I've looked through various articles but one of the hardest problems has been trying to find links to any source files that work, the old version of my current CFW seems to make it especially more difficult to update in any way shape or form. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Try uninstalling your current cfw and plugins first then try to update.

You can also try to update using wifi, if you have a phone with hotspot (or you can use your router) you just have to make it have no password, but this will make it unsecure and let anybody connect to your hotspot or router so I recommend you set ssid to not show, and just connect to it manually, and once done, resecure your connection.

Worst case scenario you can backup everything on your psp and then format and restore it and the memory card, update, install new cfw, copy your backup back onto your memory card.

beholder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try uninstalling your current cfw and plugins first then try to update.

You can also try to update using wifi, if you have a phone with hotspot (or you can use your router) you just have to make it have no password, but this will make it unsecure and let anybody connect to your hotspot or router so I recommend you set ssid to not show, and just connect to it manually, and once done, resecure your connection.

Worst case scenario you can backup everything on your psp and then format and restore it and the memory card, update, install new cfw, copy your backup back onto your memory card.

Silly question but how do I uninstall the CFW?

beholder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That worked like a charm, you rock! What next?!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Try to update first to 5.0 m33 using this:

OK, after the M33 5.0 Update I was able to update to OFW 6.60 and then went on to install OFW 6.61 followed by Infinity PRO CFW 6.61. You were essential in getting my PSP upgraded and I greatly appreciate your help many thanks! Time to enjoy my new PSP!

Last edited by beholder,

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That worked like a charm, you rock! What next?!

OK, after the M33 5.0 Update I was able to update to OFW 6.60 and then went on to install OFW 6.61 followed by Infinity PRO CFW 6.61. You were essential in getting my PSP upgraded and I greatly appreciate your help many thanks! Time to enjoy my new PSP!
IM SO SORRY i wasnt able to reply after that, I got stuck at work, and did not have time to reply, my bad, but yeah, basically it was:

5.0-M33 -> 6.60 OFW ->> 6.61 CFW PRO.

However, if you went with infinity, it should work nice.

Glad you had it working, Enjoy!

Durelle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A few months back I had this issue, I found that m33 caused alot of issues. I had to format by getting a Pandora battery, which I was able to make with homebrew. Once I had access to recovery mode via Pandora I was able to Install OFW then from there hack the psp

IM SO SORRY i wasnt able to reply after that, I got stuck at work, and did not have time to reply, my bad, but yeah, basically it was:

5.0-M33 -> 6.60 OFW ->> 6.61 CFW PRO.

However, if you went with infinity, it should work nice.

Glad you had it working, Enjoy!
M33 actually blocks OFW install or updates

xmondas

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good day ScarletDreamz,

I am having the same issue with beholder. I would like to update the firmware to the latest version.
Current the PSP 1000 with 3.71 M33-3.

Do I need to install the OFW 5.0 before I install the 5.0 m33?
Could you please share the file 5.0 m33.

Thanks in advance =)

Durelle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good day ScarletDreamz,

I am having the same issue with beholder. I would like to update the firmware to the latest version.
Current the PSP 1000 with 3.71 M33-3.

Do I need to install the OFW 5.0 before I install the 5.0 m33?
Could you please share the file 5.0 m33.

Thanks in advance =)
Can't share files, but just get OFW and forget m33 ever existed, get PRO cfw

xmondas

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found a solution for my problem. Use the Hellcat Recovery Flasher to install the OFW 5.0 and then update to 6.60.
After that you can install the CFW 6.60 Pro or up.

Cheers & Happy gaming =)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1