Un-install Ubuntu

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, while I was installing Ubuntu, I minimized a window and closed down another one. I couldn't see what was going on and then it froze, so I had to turn my laptop off. I was up to the bit where I had to partition it, and I let Ubuntu have far too much. Now I only have 40GB free for Vista, so I was wandering how to uninstall it and if I do do that, I will get all my hard drive back. I've tried to re-install but it just comes up with an error about the root file system not being found, which makes absolutely no sense to me. Thanks for your help...

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you don't mind formatting everything on your computer, again, you could boot up with the ubuntu disk and use its partitioning setup to set everything to fat (I think you can do that from there, it's been a while)

Or, you could get your hands on Partition Magic (bootable cd/floppy) and that'll be able to handle it.

Or. get into recovery mode and fdisk that baby. But, I also forget if microsoft's fdisk and deal with ext/swp partitions.

Or, http://bobmorris.wordpress.com/2008/02/09/...g-windows-only/

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ignore BiscuitBee's post.

Download GParted:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Burn to disc.

Boot to disc.

Delete Ubuntu partition and swap partition.

Resize NTFS partition to whatever you want.

Set NTFS partition to active.

You may need to restore Vista bootloader (which is easy).

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Urza said:
Ignore BiscuitBee's post.

Download GParted:

Burn to disc.

Boot to disc.

What's the Vista bootloader? I'm really confused. Why has it got to be burned to be a CD? Can I not just run it as an executable?

EDIT:
I've just seen why.

But how do I burn it? Sorry for the n00bish questions, but if I get this wrong, my mum will slaughter me...

Ducky

QUACKJECTION!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
He can run an ISO with Daemon tools..

(Great to see ya back here urza
smile.gif
)

Talvon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Leave the disc in the drive, then reboot your computer and boot from the disc drive instead of the HD. All partition programs need to run before the HD is engaged/the OS boots

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Livin in a box said:
So...will I lose everything? Because I don't want to...Using PartitionMagic, you would only lose whatever is on your ubuntu and swp partition. Your windows files would remain the same.

QUOTE(Urza @ Sep 20 2008, 03:06 PM) Ignore BiscuitBee's post.

Download GParted:

Burn to disc.

Boot to disc.

I normally use PartitionMagic for these steps (basically the same thing). I'll have to give this gparted a whirl though! Thanks for the GPL program
smile.gif

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First, if Ubuntu has not installed a bootloader then you should be able to log into Vista normally. If you can do this then just go to the Vista search and type in computer management and click on the link that is shown. Afterwards, go to Disk Manager and right-click the partition that Ubuntu was installed on and delete it then right click and select extend volume.

If Ubuntu has installed the GRUB bootloader then you'd want to run the Vista DVD and fix the bootloader. Once that's done you should be able to log into Vista and use the same technique above to get your hard drive space back.

To repair the bootloader from the Vista DVD:
1. Put DVD in drive and boot from it during startup.
2. Select "Repair your computer"
3. Select Command Prompt
4. At the command prompt, type in "bootrec /fixmbr" without the quotes.

That should fix the bootloader.

Tip:

If you are looking for an Ubuntu install that isn't a virtualization option and actually use the hardware of the computer, I'd recommend a wubi install (http://wubi-installer.org/). This allows you to install Ubuntu in Windows and it also allows for an easy uninstall. It basically acts like a Windows program that can be uninstalled by easily going to the Windows Add/Remove Programs and uninstalling it.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
why so set against keeping ubuntu? its my main OS here.... only keep XP for a few games.

if ubuntu has actually fully installed, just boot into it, click applications -> add/remove. then find gparted, install it, then go to system -> administration -> partition editor.

i would still make a backup, its not perfect at expanding NTFS partitions (blame M$ for that, they don't disclose how their partitioning system works)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: