UMD to PSN program revealed

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Guild McCommunist, Nov 11, 2011.

Nov 11, 2011
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    [​IMG]

Following multiple rumors of a UMD redemption program for the PS Vita, Sony has confirmed that the program is real and the prices.

The program will allow owners of UMDs to redeem a PSN copy of the game at a discounted price. This also means this PSN copy can be used on PSP Go's, Sony's digital download only PSP, as well as the upcoming Vita and old, UMD capable PSPs.

Prices range from drastically from free to ¥1500 for a PSN redeemed copy. No official US or EU prices were revealed, or whether the program will be available worldwide.

Starting December 17th, PSP owners will be able to download a UMD redeemer application. They can then insert their UMD and redeem it for a discounted PSN copy. However, if you think this is an easy way to users to get cheap PSP games from their friends, you can only redeem one copy of a UMD on one PSN account. SO if you friend registered, say, Disgaea 2, and you wanted to redeem it for a cheap copy, then it won't work for you.

A current list of redeemable games is below. Please note this is not the final list, only a starting list:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

[​IMG] Source

2. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    To be honest I really appreciate Sony's efforts of having Vita 'backwards conpatibility'.

UMDs just don't seem to work well on the Vita.

3. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    So paying again for games you already own, and you need to keep your old PSP as well. Nice "solution" Sony. :\

4 people like this.
  4. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    It's good to see they are making a way to play bought UMDs on the Vita.

5. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    What other solution do you have? Installed a clunky UMD reader on the Vita? Add an expensive UMD reader attachment?

If you're going to buy a Vita, redeem your games on your PSP first, then sell your PSP. The games are tied to your account, not to your system.

Also, paying for games you already own is not a foreign concept. It just so happens you get a discount this time.

On the flip side, you can probably buy a used UMD game cheap and redeem it for cheaper than you'd pay for the full game. Or if a friend doesn't want to be bothered with redeeming their UMDs, just use theirs.

6. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Fixed it for ya.

2 people like this.
  7. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    One thing about paying:
    It is still cheaper than buying the digital copy from the PS Store.

8. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    No no I get that, it just seems kinda unfair that to have already owned the game...come on I've seen competitors let you keep your downloads between devices, I think maybe it was Kindle or another eBook reader.

Actually, "you can probably buy a used UMD game cheap..." yeah, but a lot of people are gonna be doing the same thing and they're single use for that purpose. People are going to start buying potential coupons.

9. mudassirul

Member mudassirul GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I can see some people wil start sharing umd's to get those games tied to their account

10. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i would rather have a umd copy because it's drm free and in most cases cheaper than a digital download, plus with the new rules from sony regarding activations you can only be able to play the game on 2 systems.

11. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    At least we have a possibility for this. Not everyone will be happy, but for those who will use this, this is better than buying everything from PSN..

-Qtis

12. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I'm trying to understand this......So if I redeem my UMDs and then resell them, whoever buys it used won't be able to redeem it on their account ?
    And if it is so, how do I know when I shop for a used PSP game is it's been redeemed already or not ? It's a little confusing .....
    I guess I better keep my old CFW PSP....

13. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Kind of annoying that you have to buy the games you already own again, but I guess it is better than nothing. Not by much, though...

14. riyaz

Member riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Netherlands
    im sooooo not gonna rebuy my game ( i have only kingdom hearts bbs) xD

15. Gh0sti

Member Gh0sti iOS Guru

United States
    so this is sonys way of backwards compatible sucking amount of game plus u have to pay more money for it, man sony is screwing you guys over with this crap

16. zachtheninja

Member zachtheninja Honorary Ninja

United States
    At least Sony is giving gamers the option.
    Is this coming to the us?

17. MadClaw

Member MadClaw GBAtemp Fan

United States
    very, very,very retarded idea. nice job proving your intelligence sony. NOT.

18. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    This is like the DSi thing all over again. I hate when gamers act like they are entitled to something.

They are not forcing you to use the service, you can still play games on your PSP. This is merely for those that want to play their digital PSP games on their Vita, PSP, or PSPGo.

19. Necron

Member Necron Lurking~

Chile
    First, it should allow every game and it should be free. (at least for PSP Go)

20. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If this allowed every game and was free... imagine the bandwidth use. Do you all know how many PSP UMDs have been sold? Imagine the contents of those being downloaded from Sony's servers. Even a big cvompany like Sony's going to be taking a huge hit in the wallet for those costs.

I don't blame them for charging a small fee, but up to $20 seems a little steep. Setting it to a single flat lower fee meant to just cover the bandwidth costs would be nicer.

But then again Sony wouldn't make money like that. They WANT you to buy new games, not use your own.

As far as I see, you don't.