UMD Stuck in Tray

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Sora de Eclaune, Jan 21, 2013.

Jan 21, 2013

UMD Stuck in Tray by Sora de Eclaune at 6:53 PM (1,316 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    I've got a copy of Mana Khemia stuck in the UMD tray of my PSP! It doesn't eject all the way.

It's got one of those clear cases.

Help!

2. Maxtram

Newcomer Maxtram Advanced Member

Venezuela
    post a photo so we can see how stuck it is

3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    ...the model of the PSP would be quite useful too - different PSP models have different trays, and in the unlikely event of having to disassemble it, different procedures apply. ;)

4. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    I'm sorry about not replying sooner. I totally forgot about this topic because I rarely come to the PSP subforums as it is! :(

While I was waiting for replies here, I took it to the Gamestop I bought the system from and they tried to get it out. However, in doing this they actually mangled the UMD drive (the entire door came off! I don't even want to know how they managed that) and I had to get a replacement system. They didn't mangle the UMD, so they simply returned that to me.

Because they didn't have any 1000 models, I opted for the 3000 model they had and paid for the rest of what the trade in (they still counted it as such for some reason) didn't actually cover. This is actually a bonus for me, as I've recently learned that 3000 models have no problem with UMDs getting stuck inside the tray as the 1000s do, so I don't even have to return the game to the owner until Sunday like we originally planned (they have a 3000 as well, otherwise I would have offered to get the UMD replaced with a working copy).

5. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    You might not think it at the moment, but the 1000's UMD loading mechanism is about a billion times better than the slap into place mechanism that replaced it on every other PSP model (bar Go's obviously)

I'm still a massive fan of the 1000 and the sturdiness the console radiates in comparison to every other redesign.

6. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    Yes, but it's a fact that the redesigned UMD tray has no problems with clear-cased UMDs as the 1000's does. I'd rather have a PSP that has no problems with any type of UMD than one that does, especially with the rarity factor of some games...

I treat all of my electronics very gently anyway, so it's a win-win. Besides the UMD stuck in the tray, that PSP 1000 had no scuffs, scratches, or any sort of actual damage when I gave it to Gamestop to fix, though this could be because I've only had the PSP since a day or two after Christmas. What was really nice about this whole thing was that the guy who happened to break the 1000 decided to throw in a very nice hard case for the 3000 for free since the 1000 was still within the 90 days and I wasn't able to do a free exchange due to them not having any 1000s in stock. I think he even charged himself for the case.

7. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    About that.... see the 1000 doesn't have any issues with UMD's getting stuck if you're putting them in properly. I have literally NEVER had a UMD Drive on a 1000 mess up. I've replaced multiple 2000 and 3000 drives though because they got busted.

That aside, grats on your 3000 and fiasco. Best of luck with the new system.

8. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    The problem apparently stems from the clear cases. The clear cases, always unofficial unless stated otherwise by the developers, can sometimes be a fraction of a hair too big for the 1000's UMD tray, and get stuck inside. I hear there are some kinds that are made from official UMD molds, and work just fine, but a good number of them just tend to have problems.

I have a friend with a clear-cased Birth by Sleep UMD that makes grinding noises when the disc inside the case spins, and it's due to the casing giving too much or not enough space to the little disc somewhere in there. They also said that when they upgraded to a 3000, the guy who tested their PSP used a clear-cased UMD to check if the system played games, and it got stuck inside the UMD tray (that means it happened twice in two days, I hear). In addition, the clear-cased UMDs tended to pop out of the drive significantly lower than UMDs with official cases.

Yes, if you're extremely careful with how you put it in, it won't be a problem. However, it's not an exact science to figure stuff like this out.

9. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    Clear case? Explain Clear case. You mean like the Teal one seen here? If so, YES. Those will always been an issue because they're 3rd party and only based off the originals.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

10. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    I mean entirely transparent, like this. Not unlike the teal one there, actually.

Edit) I've just been informed that the letters engraved into that UMD case I linked mean that case is made from an official UMD mold, therefore are safer to use in a 1000 than any other kind of clear-cased UMD.