Hacking ULTIMATE System Menu 4.0 Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzz79

Trophies
XP
Country
<!--quoteo(post=1867519:date=Apr 1 2009, 06:38 PM:name=assassda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(assassda @ Apr 1 2009, 06:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->This is the ULTIMATE Tutorial for everything you need for System Menu 4.0<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
<!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->for EUR and USA Wiis only not JAP or KOREAN

<b>There are two methods described in this guide. Online and completely Offline installations. The Online installation is the safer method. They should both work on ANY Wii besides LU64+. You only need to use one guide, they both do the same thing. Please read the entire thread including FAQ before asking a question.</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Online Downgrade/Upgrade</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Prerequisites:
--SD card
--cIOS or vulnerable IOS36
--Wifi Connection (Ethernet doesnt work)
--Unplug any Gamecube Memory Cards, Gamecube Controllers, USB Devices
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>--Read the FAQ and be prepared with a general knowledge of Wii Homebrew</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?qjjgmzlglzw" target="_blank">http://www.mediafire.com/?qjjgmzlglzw</a> (07-12-09)

1) Format your SD card to FAT16. Copy the contents inside the sd folder to the root of your SD card

2) Insert the SD card in the Wii and go to Data Management>Channels>SD Card press YES on the dialog box that asks to load boot.dol

3) Install the Homebrew Channel and install BootMii as boot2 if possible or as an IOS if boot2 is not available.

4) Launch Bootmii (if you installed to boot2 just reset the system if you installed to IOS go to the HBC and press the Home button)

5) Open the config menu (gears) and choose backup NAND (green arrow) wait for it to finish and restart the Wii

6) Install cIOS36 rev10 to IOS249 using Network install mode

7) Downgrade system IOS files using IOS Downgrader

8) Downgrade to 3.2 using cIOS Downgrader even if you are already on 3.2 run this

9) Run 4.0 Firmware-Updater.

10) Using Dop-IOS install IOS60 v6174 with Sig Hash Check.

11) Install preloader. On the install screen press 1

12) Set your preloader settings. In preloader hacks enable "Skip disc update check"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Offline Downgrade/Upgrade</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Prerequisites:
--SD card
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>--Read the FAQ and be prepared with a general knowledge of Wii Homebrew</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?tm53unmfmny" target="_blank">http://www.mediafire.com/?tm53unmfmny</a> (07-09-2009)

<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b><!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->This package contains instructions on how to acquire the necessary files from Nintendo to do an offline update
This package will work on ANY Wii! Virgin or Nintendo Official Updated without cios!!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
1) Extract the files somewhere on your hard drive such as C:\wii\ and run prepare.bat and choose your desired version

2) Check that the WAD files are correct with MooSFV. If any files are not correct run clean.bat and start over

3) Format your SD card to FAT16. Copy the contents inside the sd folder to the root of your SD card

4) Insert the SD card in the Wii and go to Data Management>Channels>SD Card press YES on the dialog box that asks to load boot.dol

5) Install the Homebrew Channel and install BootMii as boot2 if possible or as an IOS if boot2 is not available.

6) Launch Bootmii (if you installed to boot2 just reset the system if you installed to IOS go to the HBC and press the Home button)

7) Open the config menu (gears) and choose backup NAND (green arrow) wait for it to finish and restart the Wii

8) Load CMDVDX35.dol through the homebrew channel. Choose Downgrade IOS35. It might say network error, it might not. just ignore it and choose Exit

9) Run WAD-Manager_v1.4.dol. Choose IOS35 and install IOS35-64-v1040.wad then restart

10) If you do not have cIOS installed yet Run WAD-Manager_v1.4 choose IOS35 and install cios_fix.wad then restart

11) Run cIOS36_rev10-Installer and choose WAD Installation

12) Run WAD-Manager_v1.4 again. Choose IOS249 and install WADs 01-18. If WAD Manager freezes during installation just try again from the WAD it froze on.

13) While still in WAD Manager install SystemMenuv###.wad

14) It is highly recommended that you install preloader to prevent bricks. On the install screen press 1

15) Hold reset while powering on to access preloader and set preloader settings. In preloader hacks enable "Skip disc update check"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro-->You can now use Backup Loaders and run Virtual Console and WiiWare from the SD Channel!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

I recommend Backup Launcher NeoGamma for Wii Backups

<a href="http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=158884" target="_blank">http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=158884</a>

If you want Gamecube backups install the custom MIOS and use Gamecube Backup Launcher 0.2

<a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=142535" target="_blank">http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=142535</a>

You can also now install a USB Loader. I reccomend USB Loader GX

<a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149922" target="_blank">http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149922</a>

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>If you want to load games from the disc channel you must install CIOSCORP
The following section applies to both Online and Offline installations.
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b>

<!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro--><!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->NOTE: NO ASKING FOR LINKS TO CIOS WADS
This section has some risks and is OPTIONAL
if you follow instructions you will be fine.<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

1) Put WAD Manager 1.3 on your sd card

<a href="http://www.teknoconsolas.tv/wanin/WAD-Manager_v1.3.zip" target="_blank">http://www.teknoconsolas.tv/wanin/WAD-Manager_v1.3.zip</a>

2) Install the CIOSCORP WADs

can be found in Softmii or MiiWii packages

3) Install CIOS60BF.wad

google "CIOS60HK.zip"

4) Your system menu will now say "System Files Corrupt" but dont worry! just hold reset and launch the Homebrew Channel and install Preloader 0.29 AGAIN

5) Enable update blocker in preloader. Hold RESET and power on. Change preloader options and hacks

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->Frequently Asked Questions<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->How do I fix Homebrew Channel going to a black screen?<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

reinstall it with bannerbomb

<!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->What if I cant install Bootmii? What if the NAND backup fails?<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

Chances are you will be fine, its just another security measure which I have never needed to use.

<!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->Is my console BRICKED!?<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

If you have Bootmii boot2 or preloader then you are fine. Turn your Wii OFF to the RED light and then hold RESET and turn it on then load the HBC
If you have cIOS installed run cIOS Downgrader
If you dont have cIOS installed use the Offline Downgrade method

<!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->Will this work with Softmii? MiiWii? old version of cIOS? etc<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

Theres no need to uninstall anything first. You can install CIOSCORP on 4.0 using this guide

<!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->Will this work with Starfall? Preloader 0.28?<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

No. You MUST use Preloader 0.29. Starfall hacks wont work on 4.0. Use the latest preloader hacks.ini

<!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->Do original discs work with/without CIOSCORP?<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

Yes. CIOSCORP and CIOS60 only affect Backup Discs

<!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->How do I fix the error when installing preloader "current IOS(36) has the fakesign bug fixed"?<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

Install "IOS36-64-v1042.wad" which can be found on a disc or using the Offline Pack

<!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->How do I fix the error "You are a pirate" in CMDVDX35?<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

delete the cioscorp folder from your sd card and run NandClean <a href="http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=151590" target="_blank">http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=151590</a>

<!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->How do I fix (X)?<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

Chances are you messed up directions somewhere. Start from Step 1!

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->Credits: Team Twiizers, Waninkoko, tona, WB3000, Crediar, WiiGator, WiiBlaster, wiiNinja, ubercow<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have followed offline/downgrade steps to the t, but when installing pre loader, gets stuck at ....waiting 5s... and then does nothing, I reset, and tried reset/hold power etc, but no joy, my wii will not boot without sd card in slot now, dont know what to do next!...please help

skillz12978

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just followed the guide step for step with no errors. Everything seems to be working fine except for one thing. When i click on the sd card on the system menu it starts to load and then just freezes. Then i have to do a hard reset. The sd card loading is the only reason i updates to 4.0. How can i get it working?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
skillz12978 said:
i just followed the guide step for step with no errors. Everything seems to be working fine except for one thing. When i click on the sd card on the system menu it starts to load and then just freezes. Then i have to do a hard reset. The sd card loading is the only reason i updates to 4.0. How can i get it working?

Get rid of all the stuff from the download package that you put on that you don't need. Bannerbomb is what causes the sd menu to freeze so delete the thing you put in the private folder from your sd card or just delete the whole folder if you don't have any other game saves or vc games saved to the card.

The only thing from the download package that should stay on your SD card is the bootmii folder.

skillz12978

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
skillz12978 said:

Get rid of all the stuff from the download package that you put on that you don't need. Bannerbomb is what causes the sd menu to freeze so delete the thing you put in the private folder from your sd card or just delete the whole folder if you don't have any other game saves or vc games saved to the card.

The only thing from the download package that should stay on your SD card is the bootmii folder.

Thanks for the help. Works perfectly now.

z-nut

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I started with a 4.0U wii with one problem, it froze after the health warning screen. I followed you guide, hoping when you reinstalled the 4.0 menu, it would fix the freeze. As soon as i loaded in the hombrew Channel (Following the Offline guide) I could acces the normal wii menu, and not have to go through maintence mode. About five seconds after the menu pops up it freezes. Upon completing the setup, it still freezes five seconds after the menu pops up.

I would start a new topic regardig this, but something i did in the process of installing the homebrew channel through the ofline method resulted in the menu actualy poping up.
I did see on the SaveMii website that i should use anytitle deleter to remove the corruped files (its in the Flow Chart)

Soo I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight into this? Thanks!

z-nut

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LufianGuy said:
I also have another fear now. I got some new wads and went over to my friends house. He updated to 4.0u and it seems I couldn't get any wad installers to install games that installed to my 3.2u wii perfectly. It seems that a lot of people on 4.0 have problems getting wads installed. I tried all of them and multiple different IOS on Wad Manager v1.4 to no avail. Will this problem happen if I follow the Ultimate System Menu 4.0 Guide?
Does he have cios installed? reinstall cios
Does he have a LU64+ Wii? that causes problems installing WADs

fuzz79 said:
Have followed offline/downgrade steps to the t, but when installing pre loader, gets stuck at ....waiting 5s... and then does nothing, I reset, and tried reset/hold power etc, but no joy, my wii will not boot without sd card in slot now, dont know what to do next!...please help
Try reinstalling IOS36.wad cIOS60.wad and SystemMenu.wad then install preloader again

QUOTE(z-nut @ Jul 14 2009, 12:33 PM)
Hi, I started with a 4.0U wii with one problem, it froze after the health warning screen. I followed you guide, hoping when you reinstalled the 4.0 menu, it would fix the freeze. As soon as i loaded in the hombrew Channel (Following the Offline guide) I could acces the normal wii menu, and not have to go through maintence mode. About five seconds after the menu pops up it freezes. Upon completing the setup, it still freezes five seconds after the menu pops up.

I would start a new topic regardig this, but something i did in the process of installing the homebrew channel through the ofline method resulted in the menu actualy poping up.
I did see on the SaveMii website that i should use anytitle deleter to remove the corruped files (its in the Flow Chart)
Can you boot the HBC? If so heres what I would do
1. Run IOS-Downgrader
2. Run cIOS-Downgrader and install 3.2
3. Run Anytitle Deleter and delete any IOS above and including IOS38 (50 53 55 60 61)
3. Run AnyRegionChanger and install 3.2 with your correct region settings
4. Format SD card
If that still doesnt work try using the "Format System Memory" in Wii Settings (be sure to backup save games first)

Foie

That one guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's weird, I followed all of these steps, but my Wii was still version 3.2u when I checked it in settings. I'm trying the Firmware-Updater v4.0 again as we speak. Does anybody know why this is?

Update: I tried the 4.0 installer and it worked. That was a bit odd.

LufianGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got A MASSIVE PROBLEM:

1. If I go to Wii>Data Management>Save Data>Wii>SD Card MY WII FREEZES unless there is no SD card inserted. HOW DO I FIX THIS?

I did notice that I can go to Wii>Data Management>Channels and it seems to read the SD card fine.

I formatted it to fat16, put on wad manager v1.4, 1 n64 wad, and a legit game save = same freezing.
Added Bootmii files = same freezing
CARD IS BLANK FORMATTED IN FAT16 = SAME FREEZING!
SD Card A - private folder = Same Freezing

I think something must have gone wrong with my system menu install. This has highly pissed me off and I would just like to know how I reinstall the system 4.0 menu please.

Thanks!

borissaid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guide is really great and I'd like to try it on a friend of mine. Mine was upgraded from 3.2 so I didn't have to go this route. My question is (using the offline method), if he's at a virgin 4.0U, what should he select for the systemmenu for the NUS download app? Should he selct 289 (does he first have to downgrade or does the cmdvdx do that) or does he pick 417 and use the wads for that?

Thanks.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
borissaid said:
This guide is really great and I'd like to try it on a friend of mine. Mine was upgraded from 3.2 so I didn't have to go this route. My question is (using the offline method), if he's at a virgin 4.0U, what should he select for the systemmenu for the NUS download app? Should he selct 289 (does he first have to downgrade or does the cmdvdx do that) or does he pick 417 and use the wads for that?

Thanks.

Just put the number for 4.0 of your region. Downgrading the firmware isn't something that's necessary. It's basically just a precaution for the online guide to make sure any other random crap a person has on the Wii is removed before doing this.

z-nut

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
assassda said:
Can you boot the HBC? If so heres what I would do Yes
1. Run IOS-Downgrader Have v1
2. Run cIOS-Downgrader and install 3.2 Have v1.2
3. Run Anytitle Deleter and delete any IOS above and including IOS38 (50 53 55 60 61) I'll figure this out
3. Run AnyRegionChanger and install 3.2 with your correct region settings 49: Usa
4. Format SD card I then would Proceed to step one to install 4.0, Correct?
If that still doesnt work try using the "Format System Memory" in Wii Settings (be sure to backup save games first)

Quote modified in bold. Just want to make sure the versions of IOS and cIOS doesn't really matter.
Thanks.

technologiq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to chime in and say thank you to assassda. Had a softmodded 3.2U Wii and following your guide I'm up and running on 4.0.

Thanks again!

hzechin

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thats the status of my Wii:

System menu 3.3U
Serial LU62
No modchip
No preloader
HBC
Installed IOS60, IOS61 and IOS38 online via WiiSCU 0.21 (Shop channel updated and working)
IOS249 is rev 13a
IOS232 is used to load RB2 only (thanks Mrkinator)
All stuff working (Neogamma, USB Loader, HBC)

signCheck:

IOS number, "Trucha bug""Flash access", "Boot2 access", "Usb2.0 IOS tree"

IOS249 (ver 13), Enabled, Disabled, Disabled, Enabled
IOS232 (ver 7), Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS61 (ver 4890), Enabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS60 (ver 6174), Enabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS38 (ver 3610), Enabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS37 (ver 2070), Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS36 (ver 1042), Enabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS35 (ver 1040), Enabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS34 (ver 1039), Enabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS33 (ver 1040), Enabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS31 (ver 2576), Disabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS30 (ver 2576), Disabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS28 (ver 1288), Enabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS22 (ver 772), Enabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS21 (ver 514), Enabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS20 (ver 12), Enabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS17 (ver 512), Enabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS15 (ver 257), Enabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS14 (ver 257), Enabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS13 (ver 10), Enabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled
IOS12 (ver 6), Enabled, Enabled, Disabled, Disabled

May I proceed direct to install the SystemMenuv417.wad by the offline method?

UPDATE: Tried it anyway. Tested all stuff, no issues. Now, going to install preloader...

UnseenHero

The UnseenHero
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok i read it but i think im doing something wrong
1. At step 7 and 8 my screen turns black and i still have 4.0u.
same at step 9.

at step 10 at the end it said something failed.
last preloader doesnt work

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
UnseenHero said:
ok i read it but i think im doing something wrong
1. At step 7 and 8 my screen turns black and i still have 4.0u.
same at step 9.

at step 10 at the end it said something failed.
last preloader doesnt work

Online Downgrade/Upgrade

Prerequisites:
--SD card
--cIOS or vulnerable IOS36
--Wifi Connection (Ethernet doesnt work)

Does that answer anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @ColdBlitz, i forgot breath of the wild released for the Wii u
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    $60 for a game that's a decade old might be unheard of on PC but actually is not uncommon on consoles
    +1
    especially Nintendo because they only ever lower the price of games when they do a greatest hits/platinum hits/players choice re-release
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, and the HD collections released for 7th gen consoles too
    but they don't seem to have done any of those for the switch yet and maybe never will
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I think we all forgot breath of the wild released for the wii u tbh
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, tbh the HD collections are more justified since they include more than just 1 game per copy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ I read that non-binary people identify as a blend of male and female. The point is i think i'm a blend of those and thus non binary
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Non-binary people are those who don't identify themselves exclusively as male or female.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I don't identify as anything, unless I need to get on a plane then I show ID
    +3
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    👈 [homo, queer, fag, coksuqr, etc......]
    +3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I meant that I read that they can also identify as what i mentioned
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I identify as Long Rod Johnson, cause a cat called me that once.
    +2
    [takes a 👀 in your pants] Liar :angry:
    +3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, and thus that would make me non binary since i feel like a blend of both male and female
    +1
    @Xdqwerty only time will tell, what/whom you are. At 14, its a bit early to "Define" yourself. :)
    +3
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I only recently have learned who I am and how much I am capable of and I'm 50 lol
    +3
    A thousand epiphanies and unbelievable pain and growth.
    +2
    I wish I could sum it up for children to understand but it truly takes living a lifetime of learning
    +2
    It's more than knowledge it's understanding
    +1
    Both are required
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, ask chatgpt or Google gémini to summarize it
    Lol summarize life's lessons
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My wifey tells me all the time "You need to grow the F up." Which I don't understand, cause I'm full grown already.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: My wifey tells me all the time "You need to grow the F up." Which I don't understand, cause I'm...