tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Pumpkin King said:
Ok. I did the updater again and it worked.

Now my only problem is with the preloader. It says something like it can't find the hacks.ini file...
The hacks.ini must be at the root of the SD card (not in any folder)
Be sure it has the hacks for your system menu version

QUOTE(Scott-105 @ Sep 2 2009, 05:00 PM) I'm a noob at this and need some help. Do you need a modded wii or anything to do this?
Do what?
You can use this guide on non-hacked wiis

But I would reccomend using xzxeros guide instead (its stickied on the first page)

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
Also if you do update to have it use rev14, you should say to run the cIOS rev14 installer and have it use IOS36 because it prompts for what IOS to use and that's the whole point of using the Trucha Bug Restorer to restore the trucha bug to IOS36.

And regarding the doing step 12 before step 11, the 4.1 updater gives you an error if you do not have IOS60 installed on your system as I believe it is really meant to be an updater to 4.1 from 4.0. So if you are updating from 4.0 you can do it fine otherwise you would need to install IOS60 first (which is why doing step 12 first works). What you could also do is have them run the 4.0 updater first and then the 4.1 updater then still run dop IOS on IOS60 afterwards. Doing dop-IOS first and then running the updater should also work as well though.

And as a last note, I do suggest that you remove the IOS and cIOS downgrader steps. They really aren't necessary and are actually the only things holding this guide back from working on any Wii right now.
I think leaving it at 10 and letting people update themselves if they choose is fine. Ive had problems installing higher than rev10 on virgin Wiis before.

If you run Dop-IOS and then 4.1 Updater will it overwrite the patched IOS60 that you just installed?

IOS-Downgrader is to remove the trucha bug, a lot of these steps are overly cautious so that no one will have problems. I havent seen anyone reply here saying IOS-Downgrader didnt work.

Roobitz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
assassda said:
nabster92 said:
Also if you do update to have it use rev14, you should say to run the cIOS rev14 installer and have it use IOS36 because it prompts for what IOS to use and that's the whole point of using the Trucha Bug Restorer to restore the trucha bug to IOS36.

And regarding the doing step 12 before step 11, the 4.1 updater gives you an error if you do not have IOS60 installed on your system as I believe it is really meant to be an updater to 4.1 from 4.0. So if you are updating from 4.0 you can do it fine otherwise you would need to install IOS60 first (which is why doing step 12 first works). What you could also do is have them run the 4.0 updater first and then the 4.1 updater then still run dop IOS on IOS60 afterwards. Doing dop-IOS first and then running the updater should also work as well though.

And as a last note, I do suggest that you remove the IOS and cIOS downgrader steps. They really aren't necessary and are actually the only things holding this guide back from working on any Wii right now.
I think leaving it at 10 and letting people update themselves if they choose is fine. Ive had problems installing higher than rev10 on virgin Wiis before.

If you run Dop-IOS and then 4.1 Updater will it overwrite the patched IOS60 that you just installed?

IOS-Downgrader is to remove the trucha bug, a lot of these steps are overly cautious so that no one will have problems. I havent seen anyone reply here saying IOS-Downgrader didnt work.

Fair enough about rev10. I would just include some sort of information letting people know that later revisions have been made though, because those later revisions fixed a lot of issues I had running games properly (002 fixes, alt.dol issues, laggy Science Papa game (?) )

I say keep the IOS-Downgrading stuff, it is a failsafe guide and that is why it works so well.

I can't comment for sure about whether the 4.1 updater will overwrite the patched IOS60, but I was under the impression that the updater did the patching itself? Maybe someone else can confirm...

nabster92 you are absolutely correct about the updating from below 4.0 (eg. 3.4) to 4.1. I can see now the reason for the error message was because IOS60 wasn't present.

Finally, I think a modified version of DOP-IOS has been posted on wiibrew that you might want to check out:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dop-IOS/Dop-IOS_MOD

Great stuff!

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
assassda said:
nabster92 said:

Well the reason I say to update cIOS rev10 was because as the guide is set up I just don't see why it works at all. Before whenever you did something to get the trucha bug back like installing that old IOS16 or downgrading IOS35, you would then use wad manager to install the cios_fix.wad to install an older cIOS to IOS249 USING that IOS you got the trucha bug back on so then the rev10 or whatever other revision installer could work because it would try to look for the trucha bug in IOS249, which that cios_fix.wad did.

I don't see why this is any different and why the rev10 installer would work after restoring the trucha bug to only IOS36. I only said to use rev14 because it gives you an option to select what IOS to use to install so you can have it use that IOS36. If you want you can put in the rev10 installer after that to install over it if you want to. Alternatively you can also add another step with the trucha bug restorer to install a patched IOS36 with the trucha bug to IOS slot 249 as well. And THEN run the rev10 installer.

As for IOS/cIOS downgrader, I know it works fine for the people using this, but the reason I suggest removing those is because it's pretty much the only thing in this guide that can't be done on boot2v4 Wii's. So by taking out those steps this guide would work on all Wii's and the LU64+ disclaimer would not be necessary. Although I think LU64+ Wii's also wouldn't be able to install a cIOS below rev11 as well as that LU64fix.wad is basically rev11 in wad form.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to say how much I love this guide, I've used it many times on many Wiis throughout the year and it never fails to work. Best guide ever.

w00dy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Actualy i don't need the softmod i guess. i have a wasabi2 inside.
but i want to install/play wiiware from my USB drive.

What do i have 2 do if i already run firmware 4.1 and managed to get
in this guide to step 8?

gotchapt

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, noob here.

So I have System Menu 3.4 E with cios38, HBC, Preloader and BootMii as an IOS. As BootMii is installed as an IOS, i can't choose to backup NAND. Is it safe to upgrade System Menu anyway? (Offline Installation).

Thanks.

rich333

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I followed this guide last night, offline version, to upgrage from 3.2 to 4.0.
I had previously installed softmii 2.1 and wanted to get rid of CIOScorp.

My question is about step 11, installing wads 1-18. Are they installed to IOS249 (as thats what is selected in wad manager 1.4)? So do they then overwrite the old IOS or become part of 249. Why don't you select IOS15 to install the IOS15.wad?

I also noticed some of my old CIOScorp IOS werent in the 1-18 wads (IOS9, 14, etc) so i downloaded the with NUS, when i installed them i replaced the actual IOS (ie. installed IOS9.wad with IOS9 selected in wad manager 1.4) - should i have selected 249 as i did with the 1-18?

Any clarification on this would help, i'm trying to get my wii as stable as possible - CIOScorp free.

Also, after all this i installed the cios rev14 wad to 249. Is this ok or should i have done this first (ie, instead of step 10)

Thanks,
Rich

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rich333 said:
Hi,

I followed this guide last night, offline version, to upgrage from 3.2 to 4.0.
I had previously installed softmii 2.1 and wanted to get rid of CIOScorp.

My question is about step 11, installing wads 1-18. Are they installed to IOS249 (as thats what is selected in wad manager 1.4)? So do they then overwrite the old IOS or become part of 249. Why don't you select IOS15 to install the IOS15.wad?

I also noticed some of my old CIOScorp IOS werent in the 1-18 wads (IOS9, 14, etc) so i downloaded the with NUS, when i installed them i replaced the actual IOS (ie. installed IOS9.wad with IOS9 selected in wad manager 1.4) - should i have selected 249 as i did with the 1-18?

Any clarification on this would help, i'm trying to get my wii as stable as possible - CIOScorp free.

Also, after all this i installed the cios rev14 wad to 249. Is this ok or should i have done this first (ie, instead of step 10)

Thanks,
Rich

Whenever you are selecting an IOS in anything you aren't choosing WHERE to install it. IOS9 will always install to IOS9, Waninkoko's cIOS will always install to IOS249, you just need to give that prompt an IOS that has the trucha bug in it so it can USE the trucha bug to install whatever you are trying to install. You were using IOS249 to install things because you should have had cIOS rev10 installed to IOS249 if you were following the guide.

Wad Manager then USED that cIOS rev10 to install all of those official IOS's over your CIOSCORP'd IOS's, so yes technically you should have used IOS249 to install that IOS9 over that IOS, but it shouldn't have mattered. As long as you gave wad manager an IOS that had the trucha bug, it should have been able to install, and considering that old IOS9 was a CIOSCORP IOS, it most likely DID have the trucha bug. so if it installed fine, then it should be ok.

Then you overwrote rev10 with rev14 by using the trucha bug in rev10 to do it. (which is what you were supposed to do so yes that's ok.)

rich333

Trophies
XP
Country
cool, thanks for your reply. i think i've finally got my head around everything. any my wii running smoothly again - thanks!

Kirb94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do i get BootMii compatible with the Wii remote and how do I get the wii to turn on and go straight to the systemmenu instead of going to BootMii?

SimpleSimon08

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Followed the guide got error -1036 using Waninkoko 4.1 updater so used Waninkoko 4.0 with intention of running 4.1 update, 4.0 installed okay but now can't run Homebrew and no backups working. Bootmi installed at boot2 but doesn't run just black screen and can't get to run 4.1 updater. NAND backup done as per guide. What should I do next? Help

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
SimpleSimon08 said:
Followed the guide got error -1036 using Waninkoko 4.1 updater so used Waninkoko 4.0 with intention of running 4.1 update, 4.0 installed okay but now can't run Homebrew and no backups working. Bootmi installed at boot2 but doesn't run just black screen and can't get to run 4.1 updater. NAND backup done as per guide. What should I do next? Help
Don't use this guide
Use one of the guides stickied at the top of the first page

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kirb94 said:
How do i get BootMii compatible with the Wii remote and how do I get the wii to turn on and go straight to the systemmenu instead of going to BootMii?

You don't Bootmii can't support Wiimote's and never will. You need to use the power button to move right and the reset button to select or you need to use a gamecube controller.

Use the bootmii configuration editor app to set it to autoboot the HBC or the system menu after however many seconds of bootdelay that you want it to stay on the bootmii menu. Look for the link in my guide in the boot2 bootmii section.

QUOTE(SimpleSimon08 @ Sep 12 2009, 11:32 AM) Followed the guide got error -1036 using Waninkoko 4.1 updater so used Waninkoko 4.0 with intention of running 4.1 update, 4.0 installed okay but now can't run Homebrew and no backups working. Bootmi installed at boot2 but doesn't run just black screen and can't get to run 4.1 updater. NAND backup done as per guide. What should I do next? Help

The way I see it is that (provided you followed the steps before correctly in the first place) You ran the rev10 installer, and it failed, but you didn't notice because it's not very apparent when it does and just says like installation returned -1 after spouting out a bunch of other lines really quickly and then promptly exits. I think this is the fault of the guide using the cIOS rev10 installer in the first place after not doing anything to put the trucha bug in IOS249 for it to use it. What SHOULD be done is the cIOS rev14 installer should be used to install the cIOS instead and since the Trucha Bug Restorer was used to get the trucha bug back in IOS36, IOS36 should be selected at the first prompt of the rev14 installer. Then that will use that trucha bugged IOS36 and properly install a cIOS to IOS249.

Anyways, if bootmii is just giving you a black screen, how did you make a NAND backup with it? Was it working fine before the udpate? Updating shouldn't have touched bootmii in the slightest. Is the bootmii folder still properly on the root of your SD card with it's 3 files on it?

Not sure if Waninkoko's updater would have touched IOS36 at all or if you used the Trucha Bug Restorer properly, but first you could try just running that rev14 installer as I said above to properly install a cIOS by using IOS36. Then try to figure out why bootmii isn't running. If it ran before and not now, it's likely due to not having the files on your card or something of the sort, if it never ran at all, it's likely due to an incompatible or improperly formatted SD card.

Then when everything's working again, you should be able to just update to 4.1 with Waninkoko's updater and then dop-IOS IOS60 with the sig hash check and then install preloader/whatever backup/usb loader you want to use.

Read through the guide in my sig if you want to understand what these applications you're using are and why you're using them. After reading through and understanding that you shouldn't really need to use a guide if you really understood it.

wingliger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I put in the SD and go into Wii>Data Management>Channels>SD Card nothing shows up.

NVM I got it thanx for the guide.

SimpleSimon08

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Didn't make myself clear in previous post so wil try again but system updated to 4.1E as per guide.

Bootmi was loading just couldn't get to HBC so repeated step 2 and 3 only reinstalling HBC. Then continued with guide from point 8 and then straight to point 11 and worked this time not sure if it was cIOS36 not installed properly.

Now have patched system but loaded NeoGamma loader which warns I am using version 10 not v14, can I just run the latest cIOS36 v14 installer without additional steps?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SimpleSimon08 said:
Didn't make myself clear in previous post so wil try again but system updated to 4.1E as per guide.

Bootmi was loading just couldn't get to HBC so repeated step 2 and 3 only reinstalling HBC. Then continued with guide from point 8 and then straight to point 11 and worked this time not sure if it was cIOS36 not installed properly.

Now have patched system but loaded NeoGamma loader which warns I am using version 10 not v14, can I just run the latest cIOS36 v14 installer without additional steps?

It's not a cIOS36 that's installed with the Trucha Bug Restorer, it's a normal official recent IOS36 that still has the trucha bug intact like it did on 3.2 and below.

If it does say rev10 is installed, then I guess it did install properly, and you can just run the rev14 installer to update it. Just have it select IOS249 at the first prompt and then do a network install like you did with rev10.

BooTwo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is an amazing guide...best one I've found.

One problem, at the very end, it didn't tell me "system files corrupt". Is this normal now, am I lucky, or is this going to come back and kick me ass sometime down the road? Any ideas would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on