Hacking "ultimate" set up?

brollikk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so from what I understand, the entire ps3 library is like 11tb. Probably not realistic to have it all hooked up to your console at once.

I've researched a ton of places about hard drive set ups and it is still a little unclear to me: I hope someone can clarify this for me:

What is the absolute largest external hard drive you an attach to the ps3 after you install cfw? 8tb?
Is there ANY reason to swap out the internal hd - like do the ps2 isos have to be run from there only? I remember reading something like that but not sure if it applies still.

If money wasn't an object and you could set up your perfect ps3 cfw system, what would it be? Phat backwards compatible with 2tb internal and 8tb external? (or however large the external limit is?)

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that having that much data, it might be best to have it on a network drive. Use something like an NAS drive and “stream” the games to your console. Having that much data all on a local drive (one attached to your expansion bay) in your PS3 would load way slower than using a network drive. Just shoot whatever game you want to play over your network when you need/want it. At least, this is what I would to if I had a PS3 and had all the games, ever.

brollikk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that having that much data, it might be best to have it on a network drive. Use something like an NAS drive and “stream” the games to your console. Having that much data all on a local drive (one attached to your expansion bay) in your PS3 would load way slower than using a network drive. Just shoot whatever game you want to play over your network when you need/want it. At least, this is what I would to if I had a PS3 and had all the games, ever.

i know you can do this on an xbox 360... but also possible on a ps3? Would the be acceptable speeds even over wifi? I really hate extending my ethernet cable to any consoles and would prefer wifi. Also, what are the options if I did choose to use an external HD?

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know you can do this on an xbox 360... but also possible on a ps3? Would the be acceptable speeds even over wifi? I really hate extending my ethernet cable to any consoles and would prefer wifi. Also, what are the options if I did choose to use an external HD?

Wifi won't cut it. The PS3 doesn't support GPT so you're drive would have to be at maximum 2TB.You would also want to upgrade the internal SATA drive to 1.5TB (this is the most the PS3 can use) as PS2 ISO must be placed on it to work. That's the best you're going to get. I would advise the network connection to a server, but you're going to have to use an ugly ethernet cable. Make sure your server and cable are rated for 1,000Mbit p/s as the PS3 supports that speed.

Last edited by cots,

brollikk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wifi won't cut it. The PS3 doesn't support GPT so you're drive would have to be at maximum 2TB.You would also want to upgrade the internal SATA drive to 1.5TB (this is the most the PS3 can use) as PS2 ISO must be placed on it to work. That's the best you're going to get. I would advise the network connection to a server, but you're going to have to use an ugly ethernet cable. Make sure your server and cable are rated for 1,000Mbit p/s as the PS3 supports that speed.
it doesn't support GPT... but it's possible to format WD mybooks into MBR fat 32 partitions - you can even have a huge 8 TB partition. Would the ps3 support this?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

http://www.psx-place.com/threads/sucess-with-a-single-partition-8tb-external-ps3.11284/

seems I may be right. The moderator on that forum did this with a 6tb drive no problem (I have done this with my wii U - for my vwii set up).

so... this guy mentions putting ps2 games on the external. Is there any way of getting the games to load that way?

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best bet would be to use NTFS and Multimann AKA Webman to stream them from a PC. But legit... I have learned my lesson about having "every game" for any system unless the system in question had almost no games. I think a garbage trimmed N64 set is about as large as I would go "complete"

To put it another way, just think about trying to scroll through 3,000 games getting to the letter J to play Jurassic Park or Jumping Flash or some other game and letter.

I used to have a near complete PS1 set installed on my Shield TV Pro (compressed to into PBP format it still almost took up the entire 500GB's... even after removing all the Barbie games the Madden NFL games and stuff like that.) I found I played it less than I do now... what I did was store those images on my PC and just picked out slightly over 100 games, now I have no problems finding something great to play as I have sorted out all the crap, also because I kept the set on my PC if I happen to see something on a youtube video or an online article talking about a game for the PS1 I wanna try out, odds are I can in just a couple of minutes (FTP is a wonderful thing)

Anyway that's my long winded two cents, but your free to do as you please of course :)

Edit: I would at best throw a 2TB drive in a PS3, maybe a 3TB one at most. Assuming it's hacked and you can install PS1 and PS2 games and PSN content, the largest laptop internal hard drive would probably be plenty for any human... lol

Reactions: ital

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it doesn't support GPT... but it's possible to format WD mybooks into MBR fat 32 partitions - you can even have a huge 8 TB partition. Would the ps3 support this?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

http://www.psx-place.com/threads/sucess-with-a-single-partition-8tb-external-ps3.11284/

seems I may be right. The moderator on that forum did this with a 6tb drive no problem (I have done this with my wii U - for my vwii set up).

so... this guy mentions putting ps2 games on the external. Is there any way of getting the games to load that way?

I'm not sure if the PS3 will read MBR partitions over 2TB so I can't help you there.

There is currently no way to load PS2 games from anything other then the internal HDD.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If the PS3 accept 64k/cluster then it should be able to read MBR with FAT32 up to 16TB.
MBR is 32 bit, and with the proper setup you can have up to 16TB with 32bit.

if it's limited to 32k/cluster, then 8TB will be the max size.

Now, I don't know if the size limit is on the HDD or the partition, but from the link about it seems the limit is the partition. so, you can have the full 11TB library on a single partition.
I'd just fear corrupting the partition and losing 11TB in one second. just keep backup of all your data on multiple locations.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
11tb only? that can't be it, that seems too little to be the whole ps3 library

It probably is 11TB's, the PS3 had a lot of releases but I think most of those are PSN type things... Small file sizes for those games. For every 32GB The Last of Us, there where lots of 200MB Pacman DX type games.

Edit: Also thinking a bit more about this, I think the PS2 library is larger but the PS2 had a lot more games released for it and very few of them where on CD's so I think on average the PS2 had larger games probably due to FMV from DVD scenes, where the PS3 was powerful enough to render those things in engine?

That 11TB's for the PS3 might not include any of the PS1 or PS2 or PSP games that Sony released on PSN? So it might be just PS3 only games Not necessarily exclusives but not reproduced on the same console through BC?

Last edited by Psionic Roshambo,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
It probably is 11TB's, the PS3 had a lot of releases but I think most of those are PSN type things... Small file sizes for those games. For every 32GB The Last of Us, there where lots of 200MB Pacman DX type games.

Edit: Also thinking a bit more about this, I think the PS2 library is larger but the PS2 had a lot more games released for it and very few of them where on CD's so I think on average the PS2 had larger games probably due to FMV from DVD scenes, where the PS3 was powerful enough to render those things in engine?

That 11TB's for the PS3 might not include any of the PS1 or PS2 or PSP games that Sony released on PSN? So it might be just PS3 only games Not necessarily exclusives but not reproduced on the same console through BC?
i find it unbeliable because there were plenty of huge games like just gta was like 50 GB ? and blu rays are typically 25 GB IIRC?

i know games rarely use the full size of a disc and there is plenty of empty space.. but still..
if games where less than 4GB why release in a bluray instead of a cheaper dvd?

Last edited by migles,
Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that actually makes it more like 16? because the 1024 converter thing?
i still get so confused with the megabytes and Mebibyte shit

There are 8 bits in a byte. I said bytes so that's gigabytes. PS3 doesn't use bits to display how big a game is. In the past companies used bits (aka megabits) as an advertising trick to make their games seem larger because most people don't know the difference between bits and bytes. Don't get me started on Nintendo's misuse of terminology (blocks anyone?)!

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

There are 8 bits in a byte. I said bytes so that's gigabytes. PS3 doesn't use bits to display how big a game is. In the past companies used bits (aka megabits) as an advertising trick to make their games seem larger because most people don't know the difference between bits and bytes. Don't get me started on Nintendo's misuse of terminology (blocks anyone?)!
nintendo isn't the only one guilty of using blocks, xbox used them too

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo isn't the only one guilty of using blocks, xbox used them too

Well, my XBOX is modded and XMBC uses bytes. I only had a 360 for a few days so I'm not sure what it used and I've never owned a XBOX ONE. Which console used blocks?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over