Hardware Hacking Homebrew U-stealth R8 trouble

Feltzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran into a problem when I was going to play backups off a flash drive using USB Loader GX after installing my games to my flash drive using Wii backup manager and then hiding the flash using Ustealth. It worked perfect when using a forwarder channel from the Wii U menu but after exiting from vWii back to Wii U and going thru the forwarder again it no longer did. I guess that’s not a real issue because simply going to it normally in vWii thru HBC makes it function again, but I’m mentioning it just in case it’s important. I had to make some changes to my flash so I put it back into my PC and used Ustealth to unhide it, it said it did make it unhidden but unplugging it and plugging it back in just prompted me to formate it again and it was still hidden in ustealth. Sorry it got lengthy but that’s what’s going on, I’d really appreciate if anyone could help me out. Cheers! My Wii U is on Tiramisu as well.

Norris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran into a problem when I was going to play backups off a flash drive using USB Loader GX after installing my games to my flash drive using Wii backup manager and then hiding the flash using Ustealth. It worked perfect when using a forwarder channel from the Wii U menu but after exiting from vWii back to Wii U and going thru the forwarder again it no longer did. I guess that’s not a real issue because simply going to it normally in vWii thru HBC makes it function again, but I’m mentioning it just in case it’s important. I had to make some changes to my flash so I put it back into my PC and used Ustealth to unhide it, it said it did make it unhidden but unplugging it and plugging it back in just prompted me to formate it again and it was still hidden in ustealth. Sorry it got lengthy but that’s what’s going on, I’d really appreciate if anyone could help me out. Cheers! My Wii U is on Tiramisu as well.
try asking this on the wii forum as well to get as much help as you can

Feltzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ll give it a go, I’ve been working at it myself so far for a fix. Ustealth R7 doesn’t seem to work for unhiding it either so I’m still working at resolving the issue. The Wii U is awesome but it was quite a bit easier to run things on my Wii, but the better options and resolution makes it worth figuring out!

Also, Update: the games are still showing on USB loader GX and working except for one of them. That’s why I need to unhide the USB so I can fix the problem with it, but Ustealth isn’t unhiding my USB.

Last edited by Feltzer,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can hide it manually with a hex editor. iirc, it's I think 55 AA at the end of sector 0. change that to 55 AB to hide it, then see if it shows hidden in ustealth.

Reactions: Feltzer

Feltzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can hide it manually with a hex editor. iirc, it's I think 55 AA at the end of sector 0. change that to 55 AB to hide it, then see if it shows hidden in ustealth.
I think I seen a thread about this too where you was covering this with another person who was having issues. I’ll try changing the string accordingly and let you know how it goes.

Reactions: godreborn

Feltzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's the last two bytes of sector 0 iirc.
Okay I spotted it, it was AB so I wanted it to be unhidden so I changed it to AA but trying to save it gave me a System Error Code:2. It said the system couldn’t find the file specified. I’m not really sure how to resolve that issue since that’s generally what happens when I try to just format it too. I’m using HxD.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it's the computer, something in sector 0 could've been corrupted (might be why it won't unhide the drive). do you have a backup of the content? the only way to fix this that I know of is to use disk part to wipe the drive clean, then it should format it. something similar happened to me to where I couldn't hide my flash drive during testing. I think I hid the drive, then formatted it, then tried to hide it again, and it wouldn't work. this was before I tried hex editing. disk part corrected it. there was nothing on the drive though. anyway, I hex edited the drive from AB to AA to see if it would work, and it did. not sure what's causing your error.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's most likely the third line that's the problem. I know if it gets corrupted, it will ask to format the drive. the first few bytes on the third line are what tells the computer the size of the drive, those can be changed, but the latter bytes, which I'm not sure what they're for, can't be or it will corrupt the drive asking for a format.

Feltzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it's the computer, something in sector 0 could've been corrupted (might be why it won't unhide the drive). do you have a backup of the content? the only way to fix this that I know of is to use disk part to wipe the drive clean, then it should format it. something similar happened to me to where I couldn't hide my flash drive during testing. I think I hid the drive, then formatted it, then tried to hide it again, and it wouldn't work. this was before I tried hex editing. disk part corrected it. there was nothing on the drive though. anyway, I hex edited the drive from AB to AA to see if it would work, and it did. not sure what's causing your error.
Yeah it was on the computer, I’ll give disk part a try and if it doesn’t work it sadly may be that my USB is done for. It’s fairly new though, so that being the case would be strange, but if it is it is.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an idea, what may be the problem. did you enable write privileges to the drive? it's a check box when you load the drive in HxD. it won't let you change anything otherwise.

Feltzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, and of the error.
Okay I got both in this picture, I noticed decoded text even mentions still when I used it for bootcamp to install Windows on my Mac. I'm currently using my laptop that natively uses Windows though.

Attachments

• USB Sector 0 Error.png
    USB Sector 0 Error.png
    126.2 KB · Views: 64

Feltzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, that shouldn't format the drive. just make sure you repair only the boot sector.
I’ve been tinkering with test drive, so far I haven’t had any luck but there’s a lot of options to use in it. Im definitely a noob at this, I just know the basics at disk partition so hopefully I get it figured out lol. Thanks for all the help so far. Im going to get another flash just in case I can’t bring this one back. But I’ll update as I come across things. Don’t know if maybe it just isn’t mixing well after having used it for bootcamp or something.

Reactions: godreborn

Feltzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you fix the boot partition, remove the drive, then plug it back in to see if it appears.
Sadly it seems like test disk can even find anything to help recover it so it really may just be shot. It’s a generic brand, so that could be an issue too. Luckily I did get myself a much bigger Sandisk flash and currently I’m just using it to install games as VC injects alongside any of my Wii U games since it has so much space. If the old USB can’t be fixed I guess that’s mostly a case resolved, I don’t think I’d mind the Wii U’s nagging since I plan to keep a dedicated storage for each WiiU and vWii later on, I do have an 8gb usb I’m going to use to test a game on usb loader to see if it looks better on it, asides that pretty pleased now with my setup. If you got anymore ideas about how to recover my old flash feel free to shoot, I love to tinker with this stuff! I won’t be too upset if it’s lost, more just curious what caused it since I generally don’t think Ustealth causes much problems.

Sorry to ramble haha, cheers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu