Hacking Question TX hate, what's up with that?

1lln3ss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I’m the OP and shouldn’t take a side, and tbh I’m not, but just for the sake of discussion:

Wouldn’t it be fair to say that they sell it mostly based on the fact they made physical doodads rather than wanting to profit on the software itself? The license in this case would just be income modeling rather than bad intentions?

This is not my own opinion, just testing the idea.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I’m the OP and shouldn’t take a side, and tbh I’m not, but just for the sake of discussion:

Wouldn’t it be fair to say that they sell it mostly based on the fact they made physical doodads rather than wanting to profit on the software itself? The license in this case would just be income modeling rather than bad intentions?

I think the hate would definitely be diminished if they only sold only physical items. Unfortunately not all of the resentment would go away because the physical items still break moral principles as seen during the Gateway era.

If I had to pick between only the physical dongle & jig or just crediting the people they use code from, I would go with the latter since not everything is free even in this hacking scene. Jigs for example are something not everyone has on hand so people had to dip into their wallet even if they wanted to fully DIY their Switch. The price can be gauged to professional quality but there is nothing more professional than being honest about your product. TX has not been honest about their devices for the Switch from the solder-able version they were touting in January of last year to the brick code they implied did not exist. It is sort of similar to the idea of having open-source software versus closed-source code as open-source gives off a level of transparency that can only be replicated with goodwill and faith in the case of closed-source.

D

Deleted User

yea, you can, there’s these neat things called decompilers
but the dat is encrypted :)
and if not how do you want to decompile it
it contains code for the payload, hbl, sysmods and more.
and when everything is stolen why is there no Atmo EmuNAND. oh dont exist
and when everything is stolen why is there no xci MOUNTER. oh dont exist
and for you: OOF

Reactions: thaikhoa

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I love TX, and don't regret my purchase in the slightest. They can be slow with updates sometimes, but I don't mind. And if you don't want your code stolen, don't release it open-source. Nobody is going to listen to some internet-made licensing GPL crap. Code should be open for any and all to use for anything. If someone wants to take open code and sell it as their brand of whatever, so be it. Doesn't affect you in the slightest, no matter how salty you are.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Bearing in mind they will sell you a license for SX OS without hardware, but they won't sell you the hardware without a SX OS license then I think your suggestion is flawed.

Their intention is to make money, everyone needs to buy food etc.

D

Deleted User

Can't tell if you're trolling or are just stupid

D

Deleted User

again only hate!
you cant know if they steal the code and if they steal code why does you Atmosphere/ReiNX idiot no EmuNAND?
Piracy:
XCI:
can be used on ReiNX, Atmosphere, SX OS
NSP:
can be used on ReiNX, Atmosphere, SX OS
and what more?

Are you serious about this post?

There is enough evidence that the open source market is being abused by TX, you have to be an ignoramus to overlook this fact.

And the other, atmosphere does not support piracy, of course, but you can make it possible with additional patches. This has nothing to do with the CFW atmosphere, but with the RCM exploit. The system was intentionally exposed by an exploit and homebrews etc. can also be used on areas to manipulate or damage the whole system. This applies to any system that is closed, i.e. PS3, Android, iPhone, 3DS, etc.

The systems are not closed without reason, not only to protect the data from damage/piracy to which the user should not have access in plain text, but also to prevent the DRM protection or the license or whatever from being misused.

SX OS itself benefits from the fact that piracy can be carried out on the switch, otherwise no one would have bought the OS and TX would see no profit in the scene.

And I wouldn't dramatize that either, if a part of the community didn't want to get along with TX (although many of these reasons are understandable), because it's a business selling a product that you could have got for free and basically that's the main reason for the "immense Shitstorms" against TX!
Of course, we could all complain., but to be honest, TX is pretty smart economically, they get the most out of the community, build it in and sell it as a bundle, little work with a big profit margin, that's how capitalism works ;)
For the end user, what matters is that it works and it's easy to use!

Last edited by ,

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

There is enough evidence that the open source market is being abused by TX, you have to be an ignoramus to overlook this fact.

And the other, atmosphere does not support piracy, of course, but you can make it possible with additional illegal patches. This has nothing to do with the CFW atmosphere, but with the RCM exploit. The system was intentionally exposed by an exploit and homebrews etc. can also be used on areas to manipulate or damage the whole system. This applies to any system that is closed, i.e. PS3, Android, iPhone, 3DS, etc.

The systems are not closed without reason, not only to protect the data from piracy to which the user should not have access in plain text,
but also to prevent the DRM protection or the license or whatever from being misused.

SX OS itself benefits from the fact that piracy can be carried out on the switch, otherwise no one would have bought the OS and TX would see no profit in the scene.

And I wouldn't dramatize that either, if a part of the community didn't want to get along with TX (although many of these reasons are understandable), because it's a business selling a product that you could have got for free and basically that's the main reason for the "immense Shitstorms" against TX!
Of course we can all get excited, but to be honest, TX is pretty smart economically, they get the most out of the community, build it in and sell it as a bundle, little work with a big profit margin, that's how capitalism works ;)

How are the sigpatches illegal? They allow backuped content, not contain nintendo code

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

@Adran_Marit Okay, I didn't know that. I called it "illegal" because it only serves this one purpose: to play games from the Internet. I edited it away anyway.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

Can't tell if you're trolling or are just stupid
sorry but did you read that?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And the other, atmosphere does not support piracy, of course, but you can make it possible with additional patches. This has nothing to do with the CFW atmosphere, but with the RCM exploit. The system was intentionally exposed by an exploit and homebrews etc. can also be used on areas to manipulate or damage the whole system. This applies to any system that is closed, i.e. PS3, Android, iPhone, 3DS, etc.

The systems are not closed without reason, not only to protect the data from damage/piracy to which the user should not have access in plain text, but also to prevent the DRM protection or the license or whatever from being misused.

Of course, we could all complain., but to be honest, TX is pretty smart economically, they get the most out of the community, build it in and sell it as a bundle, little work with a big profit margin, that's how capitalism works ;)
but when you can use it on all CFW why you should buy SX OS? ;)
right EmuNAND and Stealth mode cuz 90DNS doesnt work and i write this from experience

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There is one thing I would like to add to this thread, the whole, "It works for me!" isn't a good enough reason to dismiss the crap the TX has pulled. It's fine that SXOS works for you and you are happy with it, but that doesn't make your personal experience a valid reason to dismiss valid criticism of the TX Team. The TX Team does indeed steal open source code (this has been proven multiple times already) and the honestly don't contribute back to the community through their software due to their software being closed-source. I personally don't like them for those two reasons because I find stealing code and selling it back to people to be just plain shitty. You can disagree with me on that notion, but honestly, I don't care if you do disagree because it's an argument of personal morals. I am not changing my reason on this one until they do something unheard of, like actually respect the GPL license and release their source code.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Deleted User

OvOvOv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
TX phobia everywhere. SX OS is easier to use than the others CFW and it's worth every dollar. Anyway, when atmos develops its emunand it will be the end of SX OS.

Reactions: thaikhoa

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There’s tools to deobfuscate the .dat...

And it’s 100% confirmed that they’ve directly stolen ams SM, ams PM, ams FSMITM, ams Loader, ams SecMon, ams warmboot, some of ams’s bootloader, hbl, sysftpd, lan play stuff, and probably much more. So basically 90% of their CFW is shit they stole without crediting the original devs

Yes, I know what you mean, they don't contain nintendo code, they allow for playing of backups. This is why they are allowed on the temp. Atmosphere doesn't officially support it though
fwiw ES patches are purely for piracy, and serve no other purpose.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

And it’s 100% confirmed that they’ve directly stolen ams SM, ams PM, ams FSMITM, ams Loader, ams SecMon, ams warmboot, some of ams’s bootloader, hbl, sysftpd, lan play stuff, and probably much more. So basically 90% of their CFW is shit they stole without crediting the original devs

fwiw ES patches are purely for piracy, and serve no other purpose.

backups should be in quotation marks

D

Deleted User

1 . you said that with the decompiler already. and btw i wanted a name for a dat decompiler
2 . you cant know again and the warmboot has been reimplemented by WAIN.
3. why do youn know that everything is stolen

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by 8BitWonder,

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
Bearing in mind they will sell you a license for SX OS without hardware, but they won't sell you the hardware without a SX OS license then I think your suggestion is flawed.

Their intention is to make money, everyone needs to buy food etc.

Except you can purchase the SX GEAR, its basically the 'pro' without any bundled SX OS -- Infact most stock out there is SX GEAR now, except alot of shaddy resellers still bundle the SX OS on their own, calling it a pro. -- If you talking about 'intention to make money', then the blame should be focused on resellers, keeping the prices high, and way above suggested retail, and raking in majority of profit. -- But that is understandable also in a way as 'resellers' take the majority of the risk, and the ones that end up with chargebacks and returns and high percentage of after sales support. -- Anyway getting off track, my point is the SX GEAR does exist a just plain 'payload' injector, you can use it to boot any of free or alt. cfw's out there, without ever buying an SX OS license.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol