Two Wi-Fi Routers at one time?

Didu50

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I can't convince my Parents to run WEP on their Wireless router so My DS cant go online
tongue.gif
IS it possible if I bought a cheap little router, ran it Unprotected? Would it really Hog the bandwidth or would it be okay? Is It Possible?
tongue.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You could buy a cheap router and connect it to the existing router via cable. It would only take up as much bandwidth as the DS uses, and that's not a lot. However, since anyone can connect to the unsecure hotspot, someone could get on and leech your internets. Either set up a MAC addres access control or simply unplug the unsecure router when you're not playing the DS.

Or, you could get a wireless USB dongle, plug it into a computer, set it up as a hotspot and connect the DS to it. It's slightly cheaper, but your computer has to be on while you're playing.

Didu50

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm. Any Cheap routers out there? Right now I have a WRT54G I think Linksys Router. Its Wireless G
tongue.gif

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if im not mistaken you can make your laptop into a wireless access pt somehow

(im considering that you have a laptop here) .. google has the answers.

if not then yes buying some chepo router, and just getting a network cable between the current one will be enough

Didu50

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But are there any Truly Dirt Cheap Routers that still work? I'm talking about Under 35 Region. I'm Pretty Tight on Cash Right now, since theres no Lawns to mow.
tongue.gif

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

mad567

D. Gregar
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Greece
Well for me when i want to play online with the ds.....I have a bookmark on my ipod touch from my routers adress...And with one click i change the router from WPA2 to WPE.......And here we go i can play online and then turn on the wpa security again
wink.gif

Didu50

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, That linksys router you posted, is the exact same one im running, albeit it was 50 from BB. Do I need to buy any cables if I bought the Net gear one?

Didu50

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I dont really need Software since im only running a DSI on it. And here is another Question:
Since Im hooking up this router to the other router, they are on the same network. If someone hacked onto the UNprotected one, would they also gain access to the Main router and Control the whole network?
ohmy.gif

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Didu50 said:
Well, I dont really need Software since im only running a DSI on it. And here is another Question:
Since Im hooking up this router to the other router, they are on the same network. If someone hacked onto the UNprotected one, would they also gain access to the Main router and Control the whole network?
ohmy.gif
I wouldn't think so as the main one is encrypted probably has a firewall.

h0ser81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could throw dd-wrt on the router and with that custom firmware, set up a second virtual access point running WEP just for your DS. This is my setup. WRT-54GS running DD-WRT with on AP set up for my PCs using WPA2 for security and a second virtual AP set up for the DS using WEP for security.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup