Two different cards, both faulty! WTF?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Drak0rex, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Drak0rex
    OP

Drak0rex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    I've purchased two different 128 GB msd cards one a San Disk from Amazon, the other a Gigastone from Best Buy.

The San Disk stops working the way I need it to after so much is put on it, and I've just decided to buy another one and send it back. But now I'm having trouble with the Gigastone. It was working great until I moved one little file onto it, and now I can't do anything with it.

It appears to operate like a working card...I can stick it in my 3DS and all my games work. But the thing is, anything I try to add to it gets deleted the next time the card is accessed, and anything I try to delete COMES BACK! It's like it's write protected, but doesn't behave like a write protected card. I can rename things, move them, copy them, whatever, but when I take it out and put it back in, everything is the way it was before I made the changes.

I've tried formatting it multiple times with various methods and programs, but it never sticks. Any idea what I should do?

2. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    My guess'd be that they're both junk cards - if you didn't order directly from Amazon themselves, I'd be willing to bet that that the Sandisk was a knockoff with a much lower actual capacity, and even if Gigastone was a known/reliable brand, the only listings I see on BestBuy's website for them are from third-party vendors - even if it's not a junk card, the brand's likely not all that reliable. I'd say return it and buy a legitimate Sandisk/Kingston/Lexar/Samsung, maybe even Transcend or PNY, even if it costs a few more bucks than the last couple.

3. Drak0rex
    OP

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    So is there any way to fix a card that won't format?

4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
  5. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Definitely run H2Test to test the cards, but also check if it's your mSD reader. Try everything with a different reader.

6. Drak0rex
    OP

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    I've tried formatting the msd with my 3DS, both in system settings and with the format emunand option in the gateway menu, and on my wii through Wiixplorer. Also, and obviously, computer.

Last edited by Drak0rex, Nov 12, 2015
  7. N64

N64 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 16, 2014
    United States
    i've never heard of gigastone.
    kingston is my preferred brand, but its easy to get a knockoff of it.
    the gigastone you got sounds like a bad card

8. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    kingston hasnt made good memory cards in years, probably since back in the ds flashcart days
    sandisk and samsung make the best cards on the market now, samsung being slightly more reliable

Drak0rex likes this.
  9. N64

N64 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 16, 2014
    United States
    that's probably why lol. haven't bought Kingston since those days, my cards are running strong.

I have bought some of the sandisk ultras recently for use in other devices and they work great