Twitter clients.

ViDeOmAnCiNi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I rarely tweet and mostly follow people/organizations for informational purposes, the best lurker client I have found is a Vista/Win7 gadget called Sidechirp. I can stick it on the edge of one of my monitors and it will quietly (I turned off the bogus sounds) show me up to the last 50 tweets from people/organizations that I follow and I can make it a pleasant BLACK color scheme to blend in with my black background. :-)

Just my $0.02 on this topic.

-VM

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ViDeOmAnCiNi said:
Since I rarely tweet and mostly follow people/organizations for informational purposes, the best lurker client I have found is a Vista/Win7 gadget called Sidechirp. I can stick it on the edge of one of my monitors and it will quietly (I turned off the bogus sounds) show me up to the last 50 tweets from people/organizations that I follow and I can make it a pleasant BLACK color scheme to blend in with my black background. :-)

-VM
Not that I plan to use it(I use OS X), but does it utilize the live-streaming API?

ShadowSonic2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
shadowsonic2.com
XP
Country
Chad
Twitterrific is what I use. Just like you, I tell myself, all OS X clients always lack something, lol. Just in the end, didn't bother with it. I tweet more mobile lately (Twitterrific on iPod Touch, regular Twitter client on Blackberry).

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ShadowSonic2 said:
Twitterrific is what I use. Just like you, I tell myself, all OS X clients always lack something, lol. Just in the end, didn't bother with it. I tweet more mobile lately (Twitterrific on iPod Touch, regular Twitter client on Blackberry).
At one point, I was making a Twitter client. But I kinda killed off the idea... Since I didn't have the patience for Objective-C. But one day I'll pick it up again http://cl.ly/9KpG/o

I really like the color scheme of Twitterrific. I like the well integratedness of Twitter for Mac the the customizability of NightOwl. and the Now Playing feature.

So, one day I'll be motivated enough to code it. But meh.
nyanya.gif

ViDeOmAnCiNi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iFish said:
ViDeOmAnCiNi said:

-VM
Not that I plan to use it(I use OS X), but does it utilize the live-streaming API?

Not sure. I know that it has to use the twitter API for the U/P like all twitter clients must now. There is not a lot of technical info on the site about the gadget, but I do know that Windows gadgets are mostly written in Java and as CSS' so you can poke around in the code to see what they are doing. Before this latest version of Sidechirp, this was called Twitter Explorer and I used to have to hand edit the gadget's code and graphics to make it fill the entire side of the screen so I could see more tweets at a time. I made strong suggestions to the author that he should increase it's size, # of tweets, etc. He seemed to take the hint in this new version. The gadget site is here: http://bit.ly/pzCSUK

-VM

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ViDeOmAnCiNi said:
iFish said:
ViDeOmAnCiNi said:

-VM

Not sure. I know that it has to use the twitter API for the U/P like all twitter clients must now. There is not a lot of technical info on the site about the gadget, but I do know that Windows gadgets are mostly written in Java and as CSS' so you can poke around in the code to see what they are doing. Before this latest version of Sidechirp, this was called Twitter Explorer and I used to have to hand edit the gadget's code and graphics to make it fill the entire side of the screen so I could see more tweets at a time. I made strong suggestions to the author that he should increase it's size, # of tweets, etc. He seemed to take the hint in this new version. The gadget site is here: http://bit.ly/pzCSUK

-VM
Oh. It's a Windows Gadget! Heh. A few months ago when I used Windows, and now on my Boot Camp partition, I never used gadgets. I have no clue way really.
Oh well, but the good thing about that would be that it's very lightweight.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iFish said:
ShadowSonic2 said:
Twitterrific is what I use. Just like you, I tell myself, all OS X clients always lack something, lol. Just in the end, didn't bother with it. I tweet more mobile lately (Twitterrific on iPod Touch, regular Twitter client on Blackberry).But I kinda killed off the idea... Since I didn't have the patience

the story of iFish's life

iFish said:
prowler_ said:
QUOTE(iFish @ Sep 10 2011, 08:45 PM)
But on Windows, TweetDeck is still better.
TweetDeck is ugly.
DestroyTwitter > TweetDeck
I don't find TweetDeck ugly at all.
tongue.gif
it is

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I recently got reminded about this thread via notifications (it got viewed 1K times, what a time to be alive) and it's a shame this part of internet history is no more.

It's sad that API access has become something I look back on as something we "took for granted".

Ever since maybe.....2013 I kind of stopped using 3rd party Twitter clients; that's when Twitter started playing games with developers and locking features behind their own apps. Now I just use it on the web (liberated from the smartphone).

Also TweetDeck back in 2011 is something I think I might be pretty nostalgic about. the notification sound is like a time capsule.

I was in my senior year of high school when I wrote this thread.

I never actually ended up making a Twitter client and now I never will :3

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Best client was the official one for Mac, the one that looked like a good iPhone app with the black and blue tabs on bottom... but then it was really a plus since the official website was almost as efficient, instead of needing 5 seconds of javashit processing to display any content at all together with 2 overlays (nowadays I just have a "Nitter Redirect" extension)

Funny thing is how much of an Apple fan I was back then, the reason I have an account at all is because iOS 5 beta 3 or something added integration with it lol, then both went to shit (Apple with the iOS7 kiddie design and Twatter started when they replaced the star likes with the heart)

...iFish? Were you in the jailbreak scene back then? I'm sure I remember the name......

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I recently got reminded about this thread via notifications (it got viewed 1K times, what a time to be alive) and it's a shame this part of internet history is no more.

It's sad that API access has become something I look back on as something we "took for granted".

Ever since maybe.....2013 I kind of stopped using 3rd party Twitter clients; that's when Twitter started playing games with developers and locking features behind their own apps. Now I just use it on the web (liberated from the smartphone).

Also TweetDeck back in 2011 is something I think I might be pretty nostalgic about. the notification sound is like a time capsule.

I was in my senior year of high school when I wrote this thread.

I never actually ended up making a Twitter client and now I never will :3

dont worry you will never make a Twitter client, now that its called X. :evil:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4