• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Twitter begins faking metrics in attempt to gaslight its own shareholders

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 9,053
  • Replies 127
  • Likes 4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
any updates on twitter dying? i was told by people here that was happening like 4 months ago
Any day now!
When you inherent the amount of wealth Musk did, you can make unlimited amounts of bad decisions and any losses that result are just a drop in the bucket. Make no mistake though: he is constantly losing money on his stupid "investment."

$44 BILLION for Twitter will almost certainly go down in history as the greatest grift of all time. Which makes Elon history's biggest sucker.

Last edited by Xzi,

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
When you inherent the amount of wealth Musk did, you can make unlimited amounts of bad decisions and any losses that result are just a drop in the bucket. Make no mistake though: he is constantly losing money on his stupid "investment."

$44 BILLION for Twitter will almost certainly go down in history as the greatest grift of all time. Which makes Elon history's biggest sucker.

this is the new cope? last year it was dying now this

il be sure to remind you people again in 3 months

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
this is the new cope? last year it was dying now this

il be sure to remind you people again in 3 months
Losing money is the equivalent of dying for a business. Was stupid of Musk to believe Twitter could ever be a money-making venture, of course, but here we are. No chance it ever reaches "positive cash flow" now that Threads is siphoning off a decent portion of its community.

Last edited by Xzi,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's right. Show's over. Twitter is done. Remember you heard it from @Xzi first.

Enjoy threads.
It's more like it never had any value to begin with, and Elon somehow managed to make it even worse still.

I don't use either platform, but it remains amusing that Threads employs so many of the people that Musk fired from Twitter. Also that it pisses him off enough to challenge Zuckerberg to a physical fight and then bitch out.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's more like it never had any value to begin with, and Elon somehow managed to make it even worse still.

I don't use either platform, but it remains amusing that Threads employs so many of the people that Musk fired from Twitter. Also that it pisses him off enough to challenge Zuckerberg to a physical fight and then bitch out.

Value is relative and arbitrary. A "failing" business is worth a lot more than no business. Most of the value is in the "theater" of it.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Value is relative and arbitrary. A "failing" business is worth a lot more than no business. Most of the value is in the "theater" of it.
That's exactly why the situation Musk has put himself in is particularly hilarious. He bought Twitter primarily to fluff his own ego, but he can never admit that or he'll look like an even bigger tool than he does already. He'll always end up damaging the company's bottom line and public image as a result, even if his publicly-stated goal is to make it profitable.

Reactions: Ryccardo

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
That's exactly why the situation Musk has put himself in is particularly hilarious. He bought Twitter primarily to fluff his own ego, but he can never admit that or he'll look like an even bigger tool than he does already. He'll always end up damaging the company's bottom line and public image as a result, even if his publicly-stated goal is to make it profitable.
I don't know his goal or his agenda. Anyone's choices can be reduced to "fluffing ego", since we all operate on self-preservation. It's apparent that he is trying to get ahead of something as opposed to letting things happen. I can't pretend to relate to him, or believe anyone who claims that they do.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but what sources do you have four this accusation?
Yes, a billion is a lot, but it's not like those are all individual... Individuals viewing it. I presume every refresh counts, and I suspect a lot of personalities have their own way of faking viewbots in order to give the assumption of expertise. It's a bit easy to blame Musk for this when, like the OP's quote mentions, few people really care about.
I can't think what kind of shareholders presume these numbers mean anything, so I don't think they'll bail when learning it doesn't.

he doesnt have any, this person is a well known troll who hates anything that doesnt fit within his idealogical box

• Haha
Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
he doesnt have any, this person is a well known troll who hates anything that doesnt fit within his idealogical box
Lmao it's not "trolling" just because it hurts your feelings every time Elon Musk is criticized. There's a whole site dedicated to sucking his dick now, so you don't need to do it here.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Huh? In what way is attention whoring the same thing as self-preservation? If anything it's more likely to accomplish the opposite.

It's show business. It's not "valuable" socially, but it does inflate the numbers and "stimulate" the economy. If you are an attention whore, you get views and encourage engagement on whatever platform you are on. That's it. Ask the Kardashians--America's Nth missed wake-up call.

Lmao it's not "trolling" just because it hurts your feelings every time Elon Musk is criticized. There's a whole site dedicated to sucking his dick now, so you don't need to do it here.

"You suck dick" isn't really a good argument for not having a real source. Granted, I've never seen you ask for a source, but you do tend to promote those who do--yet they chow down on this. This thread reads satirical.

Last edited by tabzer,

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

huh? oh god no, i dont like elon at all, but ive sadly had to converse with you enough times to know how you operate, also you are lucky, you dont live in the US and dont have to deal with him.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's show business. It's not "valuable" socially, but it does inflate the numbers and "stimulate" the economy.
I don't think anybody has ever referred to a primarily text-based social media site as "show business" before. If the company is losing money and it's distracting people from doing more important jobs, it's exclusively a drain on the economy.

If you are an attention whore, you get views and encourage engagement on whatever platform you are on. That's it. Ask the Kardashians--America's Nth missed wake-up call.
Unfortunately reality TV is still profitable, so perhaps Elon's next stop is getting big fake lips and a big fake ass. He's got the exact same skill set as the Kardashians, after all.

"You suck dick" isn't really a good argument for not having a real source.
Taleweaver's question was asked in good faith, and he even acknowledges the fact that Twitter changed the way views are counted to inflate the numbers. Lolcatzuru never contributes anything of value to any discussion, and that clearly wasn't his intent here either. He earned that smoke.

Granted, I've never seen you ask for a source, but you do tend to promote those who do--yet they chow down on this.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I'm not the one claiming a random tweet was seen by one out of every eight people on the planet. That's what you should be asking for a source on.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm not the one claiming a random tweet was seen by one out of every eight people on the planet. That's what you should be asking for a source on.

You are claiming that is the implication. But we don't have unique PC IDs for every single person on the planet, so how would you expect "views" to track individual people? I think this is just tinfoil hat territory for you.

@Glyptofane pretty much solved the mystery of the thread by providing a source.

"How are views calculated?

Multiple views may be counted if you view a Tweet more than once, but not all views are unique. For example, you could look at a Tweet on web and then on your phone, and that would count as two views."

Why we still talking here?

Last edited by tabzer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.