Twilight Hack and Softmods vs. Modchip Question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by CapeCrusader, Dec 21, 2008.

1. CapeCrusader
    OP

Newcomer CapeCrusader Member

United States
    Hi Noob here with a quick question. What is the advantage of a modchip when what I have read you can do the same thing with the Twilight Hack and loading in a few extras. I think I read that you can not only play wad's but also backup DVD games with Twilight or am I wrong. also I am not asking for a link but is there a wad or program to surf the net with the Wii once the Twilight hack is installed. Thanks

2. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Advantage of Modchip is that Nintendo can not block it with an update(they have already tried blocking the softmod), and softmoid can only read at 3x while modchips read at 6x. As for the internet, there is a wad, but illegal and noone here will help you get it.

3. Rykin

Member Rykin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There is an Opera internet browser for the Wii.

Modchips are better than softmods because if you have a good chip all backups will work. If a future update is released that prevents the Backup loader from working, the modchip will still work.

4. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    first of all, you can have both, yes the aplication inside the Homebrew Channel that gets installed by using the Twilight Hack called Backup Launcher can launch the backups, but it only runs at 3X speed, and not all the games work with it, if you want 6X speed like a regular Wii Disc Game you have to install a ModChip, and I think that if you go to the WiiShop Channel you can buy for 500 points (like 5 bucks) the Internet channel wich is an Opera Bowser...!!! [​IMG]

5. elvis24

Newcomer elvis24 Advanced Member

United States
    Also the softmod version can be a pain fixing probs lke the error 002 which was fixed a lot quicker on the drive chips than softmod. However softmod is totally reversable with no trace if you dont f*** up and brick your wii, where as drive chips need to be soldered on so also need to be removed and leave traces, you also need to open the wii voiding the warranty to chip the drive.
    My opinion is softmod is not YET as effective as the chips but is not far behind and hopefully things like csm and bootmi will soon make softmodding the only choice for wii hacking