TVii + Games?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by BornInBlack, Sep 16, 2012.

Sep 16, 2012

TVii + Games? by BornInBlack at 10:41 PM (710 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. BornInBlack
    OP

Newcomer BornInBlack GangnamTemp

Canada
    I recall a certain introductory video from E3 '11 where the Game switched to the controller while some sports went up on the TV..
    Can we safely assume that TVii can be used at the same time as at least some games? [those that don't absolutely need 2 screens]
    perhaps this is what some that 1GB for the OS is for?

2. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Erm...hold on a second, there. You can watch television while playing games (or: one person watching television with the other one gaming). Games that don't require both screens.

In addition to that, that TVii is some sort of advanced television guide/VCR/video on demand service. From what I've seen, these are mostly touchscreen controlled (with the television screen not doing too much until you actually select something to play). And that automatically makes it pretty hard to play games at that same time.

However, once you've got something set up to be played...I think it'll be possible. Using netflix to stream something to your television while at the same time using your controller for a one-screen game. I haven't seen it confirmed...but it is about the only reason I can think of why the OS may need that amount of memory.

3. BornInBlack
    OP

Newcomer BornInBlack GangnamTemp

Canada
    I'm guessing this is a: Maybe?

4. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    I think the whole idea was that people could watch something on the actual TV while you play games using the Wii U gamepad. That doesn't necessarily mean you can play videos on the Wii U while playing games at the same time. But who knows? We'll see.

5. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Nope. No multitasking. At least according to a Nintendo rep who told IGN.

6. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    Didn't they say there were exceptions? I thought it said somewhere that you can watch videos on the big screen while using the browser on the gamepad, or something like that.