Hardware TV won't detect Wii display?

Zanemc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I hooked up one of my Wiis to see what was on it because why not, but my TV wont recognize it and displays nothing. I have another Wii that I tested this with, and it worked fine! So I know its not the cables or the TV, it has to be the Wii itself!
This Wii also isn't hacked, so I'm not sure what happened to it since it cant be bricked!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?​

wiewiec

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So, I hooked up one of my Wiis to see what was on it because why not, but my TV wont recognize it and displays nothing. I have another Wii that I tested this with, and it worked fine! So I know its not the cables or the TV, it has to be the Wii itself!
This Wii also isn't hacked, so I'm not sure what happened to it since it cant be bricked!

Maybe one of consoles are set to different output settings for example composite or component. They are all analogue but needs different cables.

Zanemc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe one of consoles are set to different output settings for example composite or component. They are all analogue but needs different cables.
That's what I was thinking, but I also don't have any component cables atm to test it with. I only have composite, so I'd need to buy some before I can test it.
Is there a way to reset the video back to composite, or am I basically boned until I acquire said component cables?

mrnintendoguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Try switching to 480p if its set to 480i, or vise versa. That worked for me when I tried hooking up my Wii to my monitor. It just didn't support interlacing.
If the option is grayed out, you'll need better cables that support 480p. You might as well go the extra mile and buy a Wii2HDMI adapter. I have one and it works great. No upscale.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this on a CRT or LCD television?

If using composite cables already, the Wii should have switched back to 480i output automatically.

Try removing/replacing the battery??

Or try this that I found a' googlin'

- Power on Wii, give it a few seconds to boot
- Hold DOWN on the directional pad of the Wii remote
- While holding DOWN, press the RESET button on the Wii

The Wii reboots and the screen settings are back to default.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

wiewiec

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's what I was thinking, but I also don't have any component cables atm to test it with. I only have composite, so I'd need to buy some before I can test it.
Is there a way to reset the video back to composite, or am I basically boned until I acquire said component cables?

Probably wrong output settings is your problem, so you could get component cable, there are also cables with additional composite cinch. But Wii2HDMI is also good option. I found only info about reseting refresh rate from Nintendo website, you also could try this but idk if it fix the problem https://www.nintendo.com.au/help/nintendo-wii-troubleshooting/no-picture-on-television-display

Zanemc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this on a CRT or LCD television?

If using composite cables already, the Wii should have switched back to 480i output automatically.

Try removing/replacing the battery??

Or try this that I found a' googlin'

- Power on Wii, give it a few seconds to boot
- Hold DOWN on the directional pad of the Wii remote
- While holding DOWN, press the RESET button on the Wii

The Wii reboots and the screen settings are back to default.
Just tried the DOWN+Reset trick to no avail sadly :(

About the second thing you said though, does that mean if its set to 480P with component cables, when a composite cable is plugged in, it'll automatically go down to 480i? because if so, my Wii might just be a dud lol​

mrnintendoguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

About the second thing you said though, does that mean if its set to 480P with component cables, when a composite cable is plugged in, it'll automatically go down to 480i? because if so, my Wii might just be a dud lol​
You don't have anything else to hook the Wii up to to change it to 480p?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It is supposed to, afaik, yes.

MarknuB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If it's not the cable then it could be the video out that's dirty or something. Since 480p output through composite cables aren't a thing, it should automatically change to the default 480i settings so i don't think this is the problem.

it could also be from another region and your tv doesn't support it.

Last edited by MarknuB,
Reactions: Zanemc

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I confirm that Wiis are designed to revert to 480i automatically if they find out you don't have component cables plugged and its set at 480p, I've done a lot of messing around with cables and such and every time my Wii set up at 480p would temporarily work at 480i when plugging an RGB cable or something else.

Check the serial number under the Wii. If the first three letters are "LEH" it's PAL, and maybe that's the issue.

Besides that, have you tried to hold Reset after turning it on? Maybe it's already modded and someone fucked up, but with a bit of luck it has Priiloader on it.

Reactions: Zanemc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: What the heck is that emote SylverReZ using?