Hacking Tutorial to using USB Loader v1.1 and FAQs

idane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I'm wondering if anyone can help me out, as I couldn't find any mention of this.

My gf accidentally updated my Wii to 4.0, and I didn't patch any IOS/cIOS. I have a wiikey mod installed, as well as the homebrew channel (since before 4.0). Will I be able to install the cIOS and use the loader? and if not, is there any way to downgrade to an older version?

Thanks...

drapes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers worked fine for me with my 16g kingston pen. Just ripping Call of Duty to it and then we will see what it can do!!! Oh it only takes 30mins instead of 3 hours wich is cool and my Wii drive is silent. Keep up the good work Waninkoko, Kwiirk and the rest of the guys!!!
grog.gif

Posts merged

Sorry I mean't to type "which".

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
If you want to resize your partitions so you can create a new one on your current drive for Wii games, use Gparted Live CD.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

It will let you shrink your current NTFS/FAT partition and create a new blank partition for the backup loader to format.

*** NOTE ***

I accept no responsibility if you lose anything! This tool does work reliably, but as ever when messing about with your precious data BACK UP ANYTHING IMPORTANT FIRST!!!

w1kk3d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hd: wd mybook500
64gb partition for wii games

tried as root:

# ./wbfs -p /dev/sdb2 init
# ./wbfs add xxx.iso
cannot find any wbfs partition (verify permissions)): No such file or directory
hate2.gif

but ripping/starting games works fine... (mario kart wii in 8min)
any explanations?
unsure.gif

ften

Trophies
Website
fathertom.net
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but USB Loader requires the Wii DVD drive to be connected in order for it to function properly. It gives that disc read error screen if it's not connected. Once I connected the drive back to the Wii it worked fine.

-FTen

Boss351

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
USB Loader can see my usb pen drive but when I click A to format is says it can't format either of the 4 partitions, So I guess I wont be able to use the usb pen drive to test it all out
frown.gif

EDIT used Windows WBFS Tool and the pen drive formats and works fine
wink.gif

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently some asswipe on NTorrents took credit for this guide. Does anyone have a NTorrents.net account?

st0rax said:
calm down guys ^^
QUOTE said:
Few Questions
Q2. Is there anyway to put the Iso on the HDD through windows?
A2. Not yet, only though Linux. -> Linux will accept the WBFS?

So. if i format the hdd with the WBFS, Win32 can't read it, but Linux can? So it must be an Linux-like filesystem. Did Waninkoko say when NTFS is supported? There is an "open-source" NTFS: NTFS-3g (linux). I have a HDD (1TB) with my photos/movies etc. I don't want to format it -.- Is there any possibilty to create a new partition w/o formt the HDD?

Oh yes, I found a mistake in your Tut, look:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl is DVD9, right? So it's about 7,92Gb no "2,97Gb" lol I was wondering, why my DVD9 is now 3Gb xD

Do you mean ripping in sense of "dumping a game and make an iso file"? I I have a game ISO already can I play it (w/o ripping it first? That sound noobish, but if I'd read your guide I thought it must be done ^^)...

So long... I can intall rev09 over rev08, can't I? (hehe, and fw 4.0 is not needed noobs, and SO many updated yesterday ROFL)

All the games are scrubbed when being transferred. The USB Loader reported SSBB to be the size i said.

The USB Loader formats your partition to a file system called WBFS, which is only readable on linux because Linux had a tool for it..but now apparently windows does too. And you can install Rev 9 reguardless of what else you have..and the dump just creates a game file inside your partition, I don't believe it's a ISO file type. Either way, it can be dumped using the WBFS tool.

QUOTE said:
Wait, wait, wait. So this will erase ALL your partitions and then choose one to reformat to WBFS?
Because I have a 1TB hard disk, which has a lot of movies, music,... Now, if I use this app, will everything disappear or just the partition that I select?

P.S.: Will backup disks (DVD+R and DVD+RW) work?
More questions: Is it region free? Does it dump USA discs on a PAL console? Is there some way there could be cheats support (for offline Animal Crossing tongue.gif)?

No, it erases data out of one partition that you choose. In the guide i mentioned, backup disks do work. DVD-RW i'm not sure of, though. There's no cheat support yet..and there has been issues with the video between regions.

My gf accidentally updated my Wii to 4.0, and I didn't patch any IOS/cIOS. I have a wiikey mod installed, as well as the homebrew channel (since before 4.0). Will I be able to install the cIOS and use the loader? and if not, is there any way to downgrade to an older version?

There's no way to downgrade, but yes the USB Loader works on 4.0.

spliffdizzle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having problems installing the cIOS36_rev9. It gives me error ret=-1017 right away. I also tried installing cIOS36_rev8 and had the same issue.

My current setup is as follows:
NTSC Wii with 3.2u
Cyclowiz chip with 3.6 firmware
Starfall 0.5 NTSC

In AnyTitleDeleter I noticed I do have an IOS249 and IOS254 installed from back in the day. Would deleting these help? I got my IOS36-64-v1042.wad using WUFE on FFCC:EoT. The cIOS installer deosn't seem to have a problem with .wad file, the error pops up on the first step "extracting content #00... ERROR! (ret = -1017)". Please help! I haven't been following the scene too closely recently, since I do have a modchip and didn't really need a backup loader, but the prospect of .iso loading from USB is a swwet one...

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spliffdizzle said:
I'm having problems installing the cIOS36_rev9. It gives me error ret=-1017 right away. I also tried installing cIOS36_rev8 and had the same issue.

NTSC Wii with 3.2u
Starfall 0.5 NTSC

In AnyTitleDeleter I noticed I do have an IOS249 and IOS254 installed from back in the day. Would deleting these help? I got my IOS36-64-v1042.wad using WUFE on FFCC:EoT. The cIOS installer deosn't seem to have a problem with .wad file, the error pops up on the first step "extracting content #00... ERROR! (ret = -1017)". Please help! I haven't been following the scene too closely recently, since I do have a modchip and didn't really need a backup loader, but the prospect of .iso loading from USB is a swwet one...

The IOS36-64-v1042 file should be:
Size: 1.68 MB (1,772,096 bytes)
Size on disk: 1.69 MB (1,773,568 bytes)

And do not uninstall a ISO file. I still have those IOS's installed as well, but rev 9 is independent of those.

That's a strange issue, though..Google doesnt bring anything up for error -1017.

spliffdizzle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darkzero51521 said:
spliffdizzle said:

NTSC Wii with 3.2u
Starfall 0.5 NTSC

In AnyTitleDeleter I noticed I do have an IOS249 and IOS254 installed from back in the day. Would deleting these help? I got my IOS36-64-v1042.wad using WUFE on FFCC:EoT. The cIOS installer doesn't seem to have a problem with .wad file, the error pops up on the first step "extracting content #00... ERROR! (ret = -1017)". Please help! I haven't been following the scene too closely recently, since I do have a modchip and didn't really need a backup loader, but the prospect of .iso loading from USB is a sweet one...

And do not uninstall a ISO file. I still have those IOS's installed as well, but rev 9 is independent of those.

That's a strange issue, though..Google doesn't bring anything up for error -1017.

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't uninstalled anything yet. My IOS36 .wad file is the correct size. I've tried googling this also and haven't found much of anything. There's gotta be something installed that's getting in the way though, just don't know what it is.

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there's a possibilty that it's because Starfall. I know it messes with a lot of things, like Softmii won't work with it.

Or maybe it's your firmware. I haven't seen anyone else with fw v3.6 trying this.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if you cant find your way around WBFS tool then you could always whack an SD card into a USB adapter and dump the game onto that through USB loader.

although, i'm not sure if the SD card is formatted to WBFS this way... now that i think about it, i'm probabl wrong, but it could still be tested
tongue.gif

also, does anyone know if a 'Hitachi/SAMSUNG 160GB 2.5" Laptop Hard Drive' will work with the loader, havent seen it added anywhere. if no one knows i'll have to report back in a few days because i just bought it today lol

here

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
My experiences with USB Loader v1.0 (using 3.2E Wii with the usual stuff installed and no modchip of any kind).

Installed the cIOS without problems (wad install), ran USB Loader just fine.
First attempted with a Integral USB Stick 2GB, got the Could not initialize USB subsystem! (ret = -1) error.
Next attempted another USB Stick 2GB I got from France (fancy leather-bound stuff), same error.
Third attempted MuVo V100 MP3 Player, 2GB, same error.

Fourth - a 4GB 2.5" HDD in a cheap USB enclosure (running off a single USB, but with option for 2), worked, formatted, failed first burn at 98%.
Second attempt at burning Zelda TP (from original disk) succeeded, but when it said "select game", it pointed to a blank title. Trying to run it just went in a loop (confirmation, press a, press any button, press a, select game, etc).
EDIT: It's a really old HDD, and I know that it has 2 bad sectors on it (it had trouble with the first at 88% during the dump) so that's prolly why it didn't work. I cannot say for all 2.5" drives, but at least mine was recognised and allowed reformatting/writing.

Fifth attempt - the Integral USB Stick 2GB again, reformatted through windows through various settings, same error as before.
Sixth attempt, same USB stick, just happened to turn off the Wii this time before trying, worked just fine.
Burned Zelda TP successfully first time, played perfectly.
Removed Zelda and burned SSX Wii from a backup DVD (didn't work on WiiGator 0.3 gamma), loads up the notice to keep wiimote securely strapped on, give me a green screen then stays black.
Attempted to burn Trauma Center - New Blood, but it reached 58% before being full. On game selection, title was blank. Removed.
Burned Super Paper Mario, froze at 48%, tried again, succeeded, loaded successfully, and even recognized my save file.

I tried the WBFS win delta tool, but with only 2GB to work with, I haven't found much use for it as of yet. Maybe if I find an old IDE drive (I've got many old computers lying around) and buy myself an enclosure for it...

EDIT: As an extra note, when ripping, my drive was fairly quiet. Spinning, but not noisy. I've no idea what people mean when they say it's loud.

utahraptor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spliffdizzle said:
Darkzero51521 said:
spliffdizzle said:

NTSC Wii with 3.2u
Starfall 0.5 NTSC

In AnyTitleDeleter I noticed I do have an IOS249 and IOS254 installed from back in the day. Would deleting these help? I got my IOS36-64-v1042.wad using WUFE on FFCC:EoT. The cIOS installer doesn't seem to have a problem with .wad file, the error pops up on the first step "extracting content #00... ERROR! (ret = -1017)". Please help! I haven't been following the scene too closely recently, since I do have a modchip and didn't really need a backup loader, but the prospect of .iso loading from USB is a sweet one...

That's a strange issue, though..Google doesn't bring anything up for error -1017.

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't uninstalled anything yet. My IOS36 .wad file is the correct size. I've tried googling this also and haven't found much of anything. There's gotta be something installed that's getting in the way though, just don't know what it is.

I'm having the same problems except I am running NTSC Ver. 4.0U, but with a Wiikey v1 with no starfall

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
utahraptor said:
spliffdizzle said:
Darkzero51521 said:
spliffdizzle said:

NTSC Wii with 3.2u
Starfall 0.5 NTSC

I'm having the same problems except I am running NTSC Ver. 4.0U, but with a Wiikey v1 with no starfall

I guess it's not starfall then. This is a weird issue because i've seen people with Wiikey installed that have this working..and it runs on 4.0 fine. What programs have you guys installed?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work