Hacking Tutorial to using USB Loader v1.1 and FAQs

ppc_gba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
great app, I only hope to see ntfs read support so we can read back an iso file from a windows partition. Shouldn't be impossible, especially if you defragment the iso file in advance.

Don't get your hopes up, though. I tested my usb flash drive (2GB corsair) with the check flash tool, and found that the write speed is 0.6 MB/s (long dumping/copy time) and the read speed is 0.9 MB/s!! This is worse than 1x dvd read speed (1.3 MB/s)...
blink.gif

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to see if I can try it on my usb hd. Still have my fingers crossed for ntfs support.

old-time-gamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darkzero51521 said:
This guide will show you how to use USB loader to backup and boot games from a USB drive.

First, what's required;
-A Nintendo Wii
-Newest Homebrew Channel installed
-This file pack
-The original IOS36-64-v1042.wad file (GOOGLE!)

Prep:
-Extract the usbloader.rar file into the root of your SD card.
-Stick the IOS36-64-v1042.wad file into the root of the SD card.
-Boot the Homebrew Channel, run the IOS installer
-Select "WAD Install", it should install automatically
-Reset Wii

Running USB loader:
-Insert a USB drive into the Wii
-Boot the homebrew channel, select USB-LOADER

Now one of three things should happen.

Either A,
-You see a code dump. This is bad. Make sure there's only one USB device in the back of your Wii and that the one USB device is firmly connected.

B,
-You get an REV- error. This most likely means the device you're attempting to use does not work.

Or C,
-It asks you about formatting and choosing a partition.

This WILL erase everything on your USB drive, so be sure to back it up. Yes, the USB drive can be converted back to normal later, it's no big deal. Windows will however, not be able to read your USB drive while it's formatted under the WBFS.

-Choose your partition and continue.
-Insert the game disk (original or backup) into your Wii, and press the + button. (give it a second)

What It should say;
QUOTE said:
Opening dvd disk.. OK!"

Then it will proceed to carry on with the ripping operation.

Troubleshooting:

Q: When I boot USB Loader, I get: Could not initialize USB subsystem! (ret = -1) ?
This means either your USB drive is corrupted or it is not supported. Please use another drive or doublecheck connections. Also, if you have something plugged in the other USB port, be sure to remove it. If all that doesn't work, try switching your USB port.

Q: While in the ripping process, it freezes. (I got passed 0.01%)
A:Mine did this, but because my flash drive was overheating. It sounds ridiculous, but try keeping it cooled off. Or if you have another flash drive, try that.
If your flash drive has an LED and it's still blinking, leave it be, it's just running slow! If it's stopped blinking for more than 40 seconds you'll need to reset your Wii.

Q: When I go to rip the disk, it freezes at 0.01% or 0.00%?
A:If your Wii is hard modded, I don't have a solution for you :[..but if it isn't, try reinstalling the IOS file or cleaning your disk.

Q: When I go to rip, it says "Invalid Wii game"?
A: You're most likely using a backed up game or a ligit scratched game. Clean the DVD, try a few more times. If that fails burn another copy.

Q: WTF's a partition?
A: The best way to describe it, is a segment of your hard drive that is reserved for one file system. Most computer come with the entire hard drive as one partition, but you can split hard drives into multiple partitions for better organization or different file systems.

Q: How do i turn my USB device back compatible with windows?
A: Using XP, right click "My computer" and go to "Manage" while your USB drive is connected. Click "Disk Managment". Right click your device and format or create a new partition.

Q: I know what a partition is, is there any way for me to repartition my drive without loosing current data?
A: Unfortunately, there's no easy way to just repartition without deleting previous partitions that I know of.

Q: Can i dump Gamecube games?
A: No. Im sure it'll eventually be supported, but not at this time.

Q: It says that there's only x.xxgb's avaliable, but I have a lo tmore space than that!!
A: It seems to be a glitch, all you can really do is ignore it.

Q: Do I need FW v4.0?
A: Nope.

Q: Can I put the ISO on my Hard drive through Windows?
A: Not at this very moment, you can only do it through Linux until the App is ported.

Q: How big are the Wii games and how long do they take to dump?
Most games take under 20 mins to dump, except Super Smash Bros Brawl. Here's some examples.
The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess :::: 1.12gb :::: 13 mins
Link's Target Training :::: 0.25gb :::: 3 mins, 25 seconds
Wii Sports :::: 0.36gb :::: 5 mins, 13 seconds
Super Smash Bros Brawl :::: 2.97gb? (i think it's wrong) :::: 1 Hour, 34 minutes, 8 seconds
Will build on to this. Please correct me if im wrong anywhere! Thanks guys ^-^

i tried to install this.

i copy the usb loader files to my sd card root:\
and to apps folder.with the The original IOS36-64-v1042.wad file into the apps folder, and the root of my sd card.

but the loader wouldn't show up in the wii's home brew.so i renamed the usb loader dol to boot.dol.
i can load the loader.but it gives me a error.

i try to install the wad with wad manger v1.21 but i get "retieving device contents, please wait... error! (ret = - 1)

what am i doing wrong????????????????????

ratpimples

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
old-time-gamer said:
i try to install the wad with wad manger v1.21 but i get "retieving device contents, please wait... error! (ret = - 1)

did you put the wad in a folder named "wad" in the root of your drive?

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
whats the point of dumping the game to play it on a harddrive when you can play it from a disc anyway what are the advantages?

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
htoxad said:
OneUp said:
htoxad said:
OneUp said:
I'm using an older USB HD (IDE) and none of the 3 scenarios occur. Instead it goes to the menu, displays no info on what is going on, and none of the buttons work. The power button works, but it returns a code dump...
FW: 4.0U CIOS 9 and CIOS USB2 v2 installed.
Same problem on 3.2U

What is the current format of your HD? Mine is NTFS. Could that keep it from being detected?
IDE drive with an NTFS and FAT32 partition.
Also a flash drive in FAT32.
OK to build on this I also have a flash drive with FAT32 that doesn't seem to work.
In the main forum for this USB Loader I read something about partitions needing to be set a certain way, so I booted GParted and changed my NTFS volume to a unformatted volume. However, this didn't work either....

quantocks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
softmod = 3x read.

HDD = greater than 6x

but.. if you need the disc to dump it anyway, What's the point? I'm sure ripping the ISOs to the HDD is doing more damage to the laser than anything else anyway!

JussiPik

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Problem:
i connected my 2gb Kingston SD-card to the usb slot (you know with what), and
formatted the SD to WBST or whattafuck it is,anyways, i ripped Wii Sports (took 2,31 mins) and
when i start the game all i get is a black screen.

Now my Wii Sports is old and the disc has a shitload of scratches, can it be the cause of it not working?

EDIT: ripped animal crossing and it`s working.cool. so the problem with wii sports is on the disc-__-.fuck.

reginator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is probably a really lame question, but with this, could you now take a game image say, downloaded, put it on the USB device and play it? Or would that require Linux, because of the format your USB device has to be in? Or is this currently just supporting freshly-ripped games? This doesn't seem to be said anywhere, and i'm afraid something awful will happen if I try to put downloaded games on my drive and use them with this method.

old-time-gamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ratpimples said:
old-time-gamer said:

did you put the wad in a folder named "wad" in the root of your drive?

i installed the wad IOS36-64-v1042 with wad manger , and loaded the usb loader but now i get an error : could not inialize usb subsystem! (ret = -6)

press any button to restart.i have a 4GB usb thumb drive hooked up to the back of my wii.

Rambytes

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got the ret = -1 message error when i'm running the loader... I have a 4Gb Kingston USB drive... i've try to change the port, always the same result...

i feel sad....

st0rax

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
calm down guys ^^
QUOTE said:
Few Questions
Q2. Is there anyway to put the Iso on the HDD through windows?
A2. Not yet, only though Linux. -> Linux will accept the WBFS?

So. if i format the hdd with the WBFS, Win32 can't read it, but Linux can? So it must be an Linux-like filesystem. Did Waninkoko say when NTFS is supported? There is an "open-source" NTFS: NTFS-3g (linux). I have a HDD (1TB) with my photos/movies etc. I don't want to format it -.- Is there any possibilty to create a new partition w/o formt the HDD?

Oh yes, I found a mistake in your Tut, look:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl is DVD9, right? So it's about 7,92Gb no "2,97Gb" lol I was wondering, why my DVD9 is now 3Gb xD

Do you mean ripping in sense of "dumping a game and make an iso file"? I I have a game ISO already can I play it (w/o ripping it first? That sound noobish, but if I'd read your guide I thought it must be done ^^)...

So long... I can intall rev09 over rev08, can't I? (hehe, and fw 4.0 is not needed noobs, and SO many updated yesterday ROFL)

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was just wondering. Wouldn't Knoppix work to transfer ISO's to an external HDD ?? (Can't test it, cause I don't own one (yet) ).

Egonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Darkzero51521 said:
This WILL erase everything on your USB drive, so be sure to back it up. Yes, the USB drive can be converted back to normal later, it's no big deal. Windows will however, not be able to read your USB drive while it's formatted under the WBFS.
Wait, wait, wait. So this will erase ALL your partitions and then choose one to reformat to WBFS?
Because I have a 1TB hard disk, which has a lot of movies, music,... Now, if I use this app, will everything disappear or just the partition that I select?

P.S.: Will backup disks (DVD+R and DVD+RW) work?
More questions: Is it region free? Does it dump USA discs on a PAL console? Is there some way there could be cheats support (for offline Animal Crossing
tongue.gif
)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup