Hacking Tutorial to using USB Loader v1.1 and FAQs

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
well today is my first day trying this hence I was out of town, and I only have used the wbfs.exe thru the command line, and it has worked flawlessly so far...!!
smile.gif

Tanks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I can't help but feel somewhere along the way I screwed up... I'll redo the process and see what I can come up with... HOPEFULLY It works this time...
tongue.gif

Nope. No dice guys... Now there's something strange happening. I place the isos on the drive after I init and go to the wii. It doesn't read them.
I rip Wii Sports. I go to my PC. It recognizes the isos I burned, but not the wii sports I ripped. WTF is going on... :/

I must ask... Is there some step I'm missing? Should I be doing make HBC? I'm completely dumbfounded by this...

coedshowers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have 4.0, preloader.29, cioscorp and usb 1.1 and all the games load up in the disc channel i have 4.0 fw the vc games load up nicely but i cant get any usb hard drives/thumb drives to work. I have tried 3 different usb external hard drives from 80gb upto a 300gb and a 16gb thumb drive and a 8gb thumb drive everything gives me a "usb initialization failed ( ret -6)" or something along those lines with a ret-6 error at the end.. everyone talks about ret-1 errors but no one has said what ret 6 is for??? same thing about the hard drives not being compatible????

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Tanks said:
Well I can't help but feel somewhere along the way I screwed up... I'll redo the process and see what I can come up with... HOPEFULLY It works this time...
tongue.gif

Nope. No dice guys... Now there's something strange happening. I place the isos on the drive after I init and go to the wii. It doesn't read them.
I rip Wii Sports. I go to my PC. It recognizes the isos I burned, but not the wii sports I ripped. WTF is going on... :/

I must ask... Is there some step I'm missing? Should I be doing make HBC? I'm completely dumbfounded by this...

No you have to

wbfs.exe init

then you have to

wbfs.exe add

and that's all, then you just plug it in your Wii, turn it ON and load the USB loader

QUOTEhave 4.0, preloader.29, cioscorp and usb 1.1 and all the games load up in the disc channel i have 4.0 fw the vc games load up nicely but i cant get any usb hard drives/thumb drives to work. I have tried 3 different usb external hard drives from 80gb upto a 300gb and a 16gb thumb drive and a 8gb thumb drive everything gives me a "usb initialization failed ( ret -6)" or something along those lines with a ret-6 error at the end.. everyone talks about ret-1 errors but no one has said what ret 6 is for??? same thing about the hard drives not being compatible????

Did you init your USB devices..?? cause you're supoussed to format into an special kind with the wbfs (Wii Backup File System)

moviecouple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just have a few questions that I need help or clarification with

Here is what I am working with:

1. Initially started with 3.4U
3. Twilight Hacked, now I have HBC
4. Downgraded to 3.2U
5. Installed IOS Rev9
6. Upgraded to 4.0 using Wani's 4.0 Updater
7. Installed ios60 Patcher
8. Have HBC, Backup Launcher, GC Launcher, Wad Manager 1.3, preloader 0.29.

My questions are these...

1. Since I already have IOS Rev9... Do I need to reinstall it for USB Loader 1.1?
2. Do I need to install IOS36-64-v1042.wad file? Doesn't preloader need it to run... which would tell me I already have it.
3. If I do need to install the IOS36-64-v1042.wad... how do I do it through HBC? Through Wad Manager 1.3?
4. Again if I need to install IOS36-64-v1042.wad... will it hurt anything needed to run HBC, Backup Launcher, GC Launcher, Wad Manager 1.3, preloader 0.29... or any channels?
5. I understand how to backup a game to USB... but how do you play a game from the USB drive?

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
moviecouple

1. Since I already have IOS Rev9... Do I need to reinstall it for USB Loader 1.1?
NO

2. Do I need to install IOS36-64-v1042.wad file? Doesn't preloader need it to run... which would tell me I already have it.
No, you need to put it in your SD so the cIOS39_r9 Installer patch it and install it as IOS249, preloader runs off IOS30 (if 3.2) or IOS60 (if 4.0)

3. If I do need to install the IOS36-64-v1042.wad... how do I do it through HBC? Through Wad Manager 1.3?
Well any .wad file has to be installed with Wad Manager, placing the .wad file in the "SD:/wad" folder

4. Again if I need to install IOS36-64-v1042.wad... will it hurt anything needed to run HBC, Backup Launcher, GC Launcher, Wad Manager 1.3, preloader 0.29... or any channels?
Well hence you don't need it, you probably already have it

5. I understand how to backup a game to USB... but how do you play a game from the USB drive?
With the USB Loader, there is no other way to read the USB devices for playing backups yet....!!!
smile.gif

theotherfreakygu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone help me with this?

I have a Maxtor Onetouch 4 250GB that I took a 40GB partition out of for the USB Loader. It formatted as WBFS from the Loader successfully, and I managed to copy some of my games from DVD onto the drive, and they work perfect.
However, I can't manage to put ISOs on from the PC.
I plugged in the Maxtor, then set it up as a logical partition on drive W without changing anything, and it still works via the USB Loader, so that's good.
But, when trying to use wbfs_win, this happened:

My input:
wbfs_win W add wiiplay.iso RHAE
Its output:
bad magic: No error

Does anyone know the solution to this problem?

Edit: Just re-read this thread, it appears my problem is similar to that of Tanks. We both have the same HDD, we both are using the second partition, etc.
Maybe I just need to buy a new drive and format the whole thing, but if this can be fixed then I'm richer.
tongue.gif

moviecouple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I am really confused. So the Loader 1.1 is only to backup a game to a USB drive? There is no way to play the game once it is on the USB drive?

I put the usbloader file in the apps folder of my SD card.

Then... I place IOS36-64-v1042.wad into my wad folder (not root) on the SD card. Boot up wad manager 1.3 and install IOS36-64-v1042.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
you need to install cIOS36 rev 9
so you have to place the cIOSrev9 installer in the apps folder and IOS36-64-v1042.wad in the root
then run the installer and choose wad installation

In the loader you can press + to rip games to the HDD (or USB device) and press A to play them

moviecouple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cIOS36 rev 9 is already installed. Can't I just place IOS36-64-v1042 into the wad folder and install through Wad Manager 1.3? Or will that mess things up?

moviecouple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh... since I already have cIOS36 rev9 installed.... I don't need to do anything else except boot HBC and and run the USB Loader. All the files are already there that I needed or were required. Sound right?

Venom_Tag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MizuhoChan said:
Q: How big can my partition be?
A: 512gb max for now.

So does that mean i can use a hard drive over 512gb I just need to make it so the partition is under 512gb ?
Does this also work with MiiWii ?

Reaprar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm having a little trouble here.

I have everything up and running, however, I have a 1TB HDD, and I already have about 100GB of stuff on this thing, is there no way to make the partition seperate so that it doesn't erase my stuff?

Backing up 100GB would take all day.. So I'd really like to know if there's a way to avoid that.

Tanks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GhostSonic said:
Maybe it's your hard drive, or your computer?

I don't see how it could be hard drive since I've ripped Wii Sports and can play that. I figure if I can do that, I should be able to place stuff on the HD. Somehow the normal process just isn't working for me... I know for a fact I've been doing everything right. Heck, I've been doing it right for days now. (putting the drive letter issue asside...)

QUOTE(Reaprar @ Apr 3 2009, 05:24 AM) Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm having a little trouble here.

I have everything up and running, however, I have a 1TB HDD, and I already have about 100GB of stuff on this thing, is there no way to make the partition seperate so that it doesn't erase my stuff?

Backing up 100GB would take all day.. So I'd really like to know if there's a way to avoid that.

When you make a partition, it will automatically select the free space on the drive so there's no real need to worry about your data getting erased.

gunslinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have System Menu 3.2E with preloader 0.27 and Starfall. cIOSre09 installed. All games work with the loader 1.0/1.1; but Tales of Symphonia does not (Import game? -> Preloader hacks needed? When yes, which?) and Okami; if I dump Okami all wents good, but when I start it, there comes a CODE DUMP Window. Other Games work just fine. I had cIOSCORP, but deinstalled it with ARC 1.1b m5 System Menu 3.2E Update... There are aa few IOSs, which are CIOSCORPed now; can I delete them? Please help! I tried all combos of hacks in Preloader - nothing helps! In the Game Compatibility I read Okami (PAL and NTSC!) should work more or less well.... I do not know where is the problem -.-

thanks in advance
- desperate g.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!