Hacking [Tutorial] Setting up Reinand CFW from scratch

Hoang Tran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And then there's the 3ds to cia conversion process... which is incredibly confusing for me. Using 3DS Simple CIA Converter it seems like i need some xorpads files which i can only get using rxTools (what!? another CFW/emuNAND!?, how do i do that!?), or with some other program called Decrypt9 (how do i run that? i can only find .3dsx .dat .bin files inside the app .zip folder)

I'm totally lost here!. I would really appreciate if you guys can point me to the right direction.

Edit: I have a N3DS XL (USA) with firmware 9.0... and cubic ninja. :)

Hi and I too am a noob when it comes to 3DS hacking stuff. I too have read "3DS Simple CIA Converter" and had the exact same thoughts as you! xorpad this, decrypt9 that, another CFW/Emunand etc etc

I just stayed away from that as I have no idea what that guide is asking of me. I used the CIAKonPack guide instead which happens to be very noob friendly. However the downfall would be you must have a old 3ds on 4.x.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ciakonpack-new-cia-converter-make-cia-so-easy.389578/

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone!,

This is my very first post in this forum... first of all i would like to thank @usernametaken for his tutorial, this is the simplest I've ever found to do this whole process. I'm a n00b with everything related to the 3DS and it's been a hell of a ride for me... about a month ago I tried following this tutorial, but after 3 or 4 hours trying, i managed to brick the damn thing because I installed the update .cias (for 9.5...) directly into my sysNAND. Yes... i .... did .... it... and i don't even remember how got to that point, really, i was that confused back then.

Luckily i had the nand.bin file and i was able to do the hardmod thing and fix the N3DS. OMG!, that was one of the worst nightmares I've ever had, along with that PS2 modchip i installed 7 or 8 years ago when i was in high school. My soldering skills are not getting any better... sh*t!!!.

Now back to topic, I'd really appreciate if you guys can help me here. This time I managed to install Reinand and updated that emuNAND to 9.5... but i think i've done some bad things in the process. Can you please check the steps i followed and tell me if i did something bad?:

1. after unlinking my sysNAND from my emuNAND, i placed the BigBlueMenu.cia and the USA folder into my SDcard so i could update the emuNAND to 9.5.
  2. Booted into Reinand (emuNAND) and executed DevMenu.
  3. Instead o selecting BigBlueMenu.cia for install, I selected DevMenu.cia by error and tried to install it. I got an error (something "fail already exists" but i don't remember anymore).
  4. I immediately selected BigBlueMenu.cia and installed it with no issues.
  5. back to Reinand, i realized the devmenu shortcut was GONE!, but BigBlueMenu was there... so i updated my emuNAND using that as instructed.
  6. Back to Reinand, i could see the update process went fine... but the devmenu shortcut was still missing. So i used BigBlueMenu to install DevMenu.cia once again and it all went fine!. DevMenu was back to my home screen and working perfectly fine.

So, what the hell just happened?. Did i screwed up by doing all of this?. Why do i need BigBlueMenu and DevMenu when they're so similar?. There's also many people suggesting me to install the FBI thing so i can install .cia files... aren't these 3 programs the same thing?.

And then there's the 3ds to cia conversion process... which is incredibly confusing for me. Using 3DS Simple CIA Converter it seems like i need some xorpads files which i can only get using rxTools (what!? another CFW/emuNAND!?, how do i do that!?), or with some other program called Decrypt9 (how do i run that? i can only find .3dsx .dat .bin files inside the app .zip folder)

I'm totally lost here!. I would really appreciate if you guys can point me to the right direction.

Edit: I have a N3DS XL (USA) with firmware 9.0... and cubic ninja. :)

You don't need both Title Managers, it's usually a matter of preference.
Though when installing some things like Firmware updates, some work better than others.
Personally I use BBM for everything.

As long as you have Devmenu back on your Emunand, there's nothing to worry about; if you even want it there still. :P
You were correct in the error - 'already exists'.
My guess is that when you went to 'reinstall' Devmenu the first time it corrupted one of its files that's stored in the nand. Which was fixed when you went to 'reinstall' it again.

For Xorpads i'd use Decrypt 9.
You can either use the Ninjhax version of Decrypt 9 (.3dsx) or the NDS version (if you have a NDS flashcart), whichever you prefer.
Just follow the readme that comes with the app and you should be good to go.
There are two versions, one by D0k3 & one by Shadowtrance, my preference is Shadowtrances version.

Reactions: lolcat

lolcat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for your comments guys,

I'm starting to understand this whole thing...

For Xorpads i'd use Decrypt 9.
You can either use the Ninjhax version of Decrypt 9 (.3dsx) or the NDS version (if you have a NDS flashcart), whichever you prefer.
Just follow the readme that comes with the app and you should be good to go.
There are two versions, one by D0k3 & one by Shadowtrance, my preference is Shadowtrances version.

Ninjahax version?. so there's no way to install the homebrew channel directly into my emuNAND home menu and then execute the .3dsx files from there?. This is quite shocking for me as i thought any CFW would be able to do this -apparently- simple task. So, since i don't have a NDS flashcart, ninjahax is really the only way i have to execute .3dsx (called homebrew?) files?.

Back to Decrypt9, Shadowtrances version has two possible ways of running the program using ninjahax, one made for the sysNAND and other for the emuNAND. Why is this even an option?. :wtf: I haven't been able to run the ninjahax exploit from the emuNAND, it always freezes at 70% when loading.

So I was able to run the sysNAND ninjahax version, and I've spent a few hours trying to generate the xorpads for one .3ds file, but i haven't been able to do it... this .3ds apparently needs/has fw 9.2 built into it. I generated the ncchinfo.bin file using 3DS Simple CIA Converter V4.3, but Decrypt9 kept asking for a slot0x25KeyX.bin so i used google and found it... but now Decrypt9 is asking fro a seeddb.bin file and i'm once again stuck. What am I doing wrong!?. :hateit:

EDIT:
This is what i see on my screen:

Opening slot0x25KeyX.bin ...
Opening seeddb.bin ...
Cold not open seeddb.bin!
9.x seed crypto game decryption will fail!
Opening ncchinfo.bin ...
Wrong version ncchinfo.bin
NCCH Padgen: failed!
Press B to exit

Last edited by lolcat,

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for your comments guys,

I'm starting to understand this whole thing...

Ninjahax version?. so there's no way to install the homebrew channel directly into my emuNAND home menu and then execute the .3dsx files from there?. This is quite shocking for me as i thought any CFW would be able to do this -apparently- simple task. So, since a don't have a NDS flashcart, ninjahax is really the only way i have to execute .3dsx (called homebrew?) files?.

Back to Decrypt9, Shadowtrances version has two possible ways of running the program using ninjahax, one made for the sysNAND and other for the emuNAND. Why is this even an option?. :wtf: I haven't been able to run the ninjahax exploit from the emuNAND, it always freezes at 70% when loading.

So I was able to run the sysNAND ninjahax version, and I've spent a few hours trying to generate the xorpads for one .3ds file, but i haven't been able to do it... this .3ds apparently needs/has fw 9.2 built into it. I generated the ncchinfo.bin file using 3DS Simple CIA Converter V4.3, but Decrypt9 kept asking for a slot0x25KeyX.bin so i used google and found it... but now Decrypt9 is asking fro a seeddb.bin file and i'm once again stuck. What am I doing wrong!?. :hateit:

You cannot install the homebrew channel directly to emunand unfortunately, you can use Ninjhax 1.1 on Sysnand and Ninjhax 2.1 on Emunand though.

I believe the Emunand version is for Ninjhax 2.1.

For use of Decrypt9, i'd go into its thread and poke around.
If you have any questions on how to use it (after searching :P) that'd be the place to ask. :)

Reactions: lolcat

lolcat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cannot install the homebrew channel directly to emunand unfortunately, you can use Ninjhax 1.1 on Sysnand and Ninjhax 2.1 on Emunand though.

I believe the Emunand version is for Ninjhax 2.1.

For use of Decrypt9, i'd go into its thread and poke around.
If you have any questions on how to use it (after searching :P) that'd be the place to ask. :)

Thank you so much for your help usernametaken, i really appreciate it!.

I was finally able to create the xorpads by just using d0k3's version of Decrypt9, I still don't understand why Shadowtrances mod didn't work. I did exactly the same steps and used the exact same files (ncchinfo.bin, slot0x25KeyX.bin ...)

And now finally back to this thread topic, i would like to ask if it's normal that I'm getting a "Ready to start system update" prompt while using my emuNAND?. Do you know what would happen I accidentally click ok?, is it dangerous?.

Using free multi patcher i was able to access the eshop and applied some software updates and everything's great; but i thought the eshop would ask me to link my nintendo ID before i could do anything there. To my surprise this wasn't the case and i can download stuff without it!. My nintendo ID is still linked on my working Old 3DS XL running OFW 9.9.. do you think i should and could link it to my N3DS's emuNAND?.

I don't think i ever purchased something from the eshop using my old 3ds xl, and physical game cards store the save games in their own memory, right?.

Last edited by lolcat,

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for your help usernametaken, i really appreciate it!.

I was finally able to create the xorpads by just using d0k3's version of Decrypt9, I still don't understand why Shadowtrances mod didn't work. I did exactly the same steps and used the exact same files (ncchinfo.bin, slot0x25KeyX.bin ...)

And now finally back to this thread topic, i would like to ask if it's normal that I'm getting a "Ready to start system update" prompt while using my emuNAND?. Do you know what would happen I accidentally click ok?, is it dangerous?.

Using free multi patcher i was able to access the eshop and applied some software updates and everything's great; but i thought the eshop would ask me to link my nintendo ID before i could do anything there. To my surprise this wasn't the case and i can download stuff without it!. My nintendo ID is still linked on my working Old 3DS XL running OFW 9.9.. do you think i should and could link it to my N3DS's emuNAND?.

I don't think i ever purchased something from the eshop using my old 3ds xl, and physical game cards store the save games in their own memory, right?.

That's the update nag, you do not want to accept it. If you were to run the update, it'd update your Emunand to 10.1 which would break your N3DS' Emunand.
Update nags happen when you leave the wifi on and close the lid which places the 3DS into standby mode, which is when it'll search for new firmware updates & download them.
You can only get rid of the Update nag by Reformatting Emunand / Restoring a backup of Emunand - Waiting for the next firmware update > Turning wifi on > closing lid > waiting ~10s > Open lid > turn off wifi (Old update is deleted to make room for the new download, which won't finish in those 10s) - Having a hardmod & going through some steps which are a bit advanced.

You cannot have the same NNID on two consoles, so if you were to transfer your NNID from O3DS to N3DS, it'd be removed from the O3DS.
If you haven't bought anything on the O3DS, may as well just make a new NNID for the N3DS imo.
You likely only need a NNID for when you go to download a game / app.

Correct, the physical carts store their own saves.
You could extract the saves by booting cfw > Insert retail cart > SaveDataFiler.cia (You'll have to google) > Extract save from CTR > SD tab > inject to SD (This would allow you to use the save for the same game, but installed as a cia).

Reactions: klear and lolcat

lolcat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once again, thank you so much for all that info!,

You make this stuff perfectly clear and easy to understand. I know probably this information is scattered all over the forum/internet, but i get very easily overwhelmed and stressed out by all those noisy posts, lol. The 3DS scene is finally starting to make sense for me... it's been a hell of a ride!.

Thank you so much!

EDIT: btw, I didn't know i could make a backup of my emuNAND, so i never did one, and trying to make a backup of my emuNAND right now with the intent of restoring it to get rid of the update nag is useless right?. This is because my emuNAND backup will have that update nag "activated" as it does right now. Probably I'll just wait for the next 3DS update and do the procedure you described above. :)

Last edited by lolcat,
Reactions: usernametaken

lolcat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, I didn't know i could make a backup of my emuNAND, so i never did one, and trying to make a backup of my emuNAND right now with the intention of restoring it to get rid of the update nag is useless right?. This is because my emuNAND backup will have that update nag "activated" as my 3DS does right now. Probably I'll just wait for the next 3DS update and do the procedure you described above. :)

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, I didn't know i could make a backup of my emuNAND, so i never did one, and trying to make a backup of my emuNAND right now with the intention of restoring it to get rid of the update nag is useless right?. This is because my emuNAND backup will have that update nag "activated" as my 3DS does right now. Probably I'll just wait for the next 3DS update and do the procedure you described above. :)

Right, now that you have the Nag, you won't be able to remove it by backing up and restoring. You'll have to wait for the next patch to get rid of the nag, then make your backup.
It's still a good idea to make a backup from time to time (After you've installed so many app / games) incase anything ever goes wrong. That way you'll be able to restore w/o having to 'reinstall' each and every game / app (Even though it's still on the SD) to tell the Emunand that it's there.

RIntack

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi im completely new to this and im about to start the process con my 9.2 N3DS, what should be specially careful about if i dont know much about emunand, sysnand and even ninjhax (i've been reading for like 3 months but i still feel so unprepared)

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi im completely new to this and im about to start the process con my 9.2 N3DS, what should be specially careful about if i dont know much about emunand, sysnand and even ninjhax (i've been reading for like 3 months but i still feel so unprepared)

Once you're setup, it's best to avoid Sysnand and use Emunand from now on. :)

Don't leave your wifi turned on & put the 3DS into sleep mode (Closing lid); that's when System updates are downloaded (N3DS can only go to 9.5 firmware on the Emunand, so you'd have to deal with the update nag)
It'd be a good idea to use EmunandTool & make a backup of your Emunand once you're done incase you do ever leave the wifi on and get the update nag.

Other than that you should be fine, so long as you follow the tutorial carefully.

If have any specific question or concern, before posting it's best to do a google search & use the search function on the forums.
More than likely what you want to ask has been answered many times over. :)

calebsw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh speaking of the update nag, I meant to tell you usernametaken: I haven't seen the nag in over a week, so I'm pretty sure your method worked. That was a great tip, thanks. And now I have a backup since I forgot to do one initally ;)

Reactions: usernametaken

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh speaking of the update nag, I meant to tell you usernametaken: I haven't seen the nag in over a week, so I'm pretty sure your method worked. That was a great tip, thanks. And now I have a backup since I forgot to do one initally ;)

Glad it worked out for you, haven't been using my N3DS much, but i'm pretty sure the nag is gone as well. :P

Thanks to:
When Nintendo pushes a new FW update, try putting your 3ds into sleep mode(with WIFI on) about 5-10 sec and open it

I got rid of my JPN N3DS emunand's update nag using this method. I don't know how exactly it works
but I guess this deletes the existing update files and abort downloading new updates before it finishes.

For the great idea!

Reactions: calebsw

RIntack

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Once you're setup, it's best to avoid Sysnand and use Emunand from now on. :)

Don't leave your wifi turned on & put the 3DS into sleep mode (Closing lid); that's when System updates are downloaded (N3DS can only go to 9.5 firmware on the Emunand, so you'd have to deal with the update nag)
It'd be a good idea to use EmunandTool & make a backup of your Emunand once you're done incase you do ever leave the wifi on and get the update nag.

Other than that you should be fine, so long as you follow the tutorial carefully.

If have any specific question or concern, before posting it's best to do a google search & use the search function on the forums.
More than likely what you want to ask has been answered many times over. :)

Thanks a lot! i will try to do it and make sure to follow it carefully

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having a strange issue on my N3ds xl, system nand 9.0 and emunand 9.5

the 3ds functionality works perfectly in system nand. whereas on emunand it shows up as two distinct images resulting in no real 3d effect. i tried setting up 3d settings in emunand but it remain the same with no real 3d effect.

it seems to be a problem relating to emunand.... anyone else have this issue on reinand?

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is my very first try at CFW on my N3DS as only ever had and used my GW with emuNAND before

I have obtained all the files and fabulous guide by @usernametaken

Before i start on this daunting journey (for me anyway) i was wondering if when this is setup and working will i be able to use these new "cold boot" exploits i have read about to automatically boot reinand straight to emuNAND ?

Thanks in advance

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Done some more hunting around on the forum here and i can see a couple of guides for using homemenuhax to boot other CFW but nothing for reinand

Anyone able to help please ?

cultopi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Done some more hunting around on the forum here and i can see a couple of guides for using homemenuhax to boot other CFW but nothing for reinand

Anyone able to help please ?
everything is the same except you rename the reinand 3dsx file to boot.3dsx and overwrite the root file.

Reactions: peteruk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo