Hacking [Tutorial] Install PSM for Unity on fw3.18 (native Vita homebrew)

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
*UPDATED* Rejuvenate for Unity has been released, and PSM+ has been publically released. Everything required to run native homebrew on the Vita is now available! The guide has been updated.

1) Make sure your Vita is NOT connected to the internet. Disable wifi.
2) Install QCMA on your PC.
3) Set up an email account on your Vita. It can be anything, but Gmail accounts are extremely simple to set up.
4) Create an account on the Wololo forums using the same email address that is registered on your Vita, then follow this link. http://www.wololo.net/talk/piu.php Following the instructions, send an email to the address registered on your Vita.
5) Open the email using the Email application on your Vita. It should contain an image, which will automatically open the Package Installer when touching it.
6) You will now need two separate PSM for Unity packages. One is the base application, aht second is the 1.05 update that works on 3.18.
The first can be found here http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=43214&p=391096&hilit=PSM+for+Unity#p391096
The second is the last file listed here (the second mega.co.nz link). http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/Template:Media_Services:PSM_Development_Assistant_for_Unity Install then in THAT order. This is the base PSM for Unity application, and the 1.05 update designed for fw 3.18.
7) Put both of those files in C:\Users\[your username here]\PSV Packages, the right-click the QCMA icon in the system tray and click 'Refresh Database.
8) Connect your Vita to your PC using USB, then open the Package Manager from the email on the Vita and those files should appear on the list. Install them both in the correct order. You should then find PSM for Unity is now installed on your Vita home menu.
9) Open PSM for Unity to check it works. It will ask you to connect to the internet - say NO. It is not needed. PSM for Unity will say it is unlicenced - this is okay!
10) Follow this link to create a PSM+ account. http://wololo.net/talk/psmplus/ This allows you to have a PSM developer account despite the fact that Sony no longer provide them. I believe you need to regularly get an updated account, however. Make sure you get a Unity account, not a regular PSM account.
11) Follow the instructions here to install Rejuvenate http://wololo.net/2015/08/09/vita-r...ings-homebrew-to-the-masses-and-pstv-support/

You now have everything you need to install. PSM for Unity installed on your Vita so without having to update, so you get to keep cool stuff like TN-V and the TN-X PS1 loader - awesome.

Last edited by sj33,

caboyzcoti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If one already has psm dev assistant installed but no pub license, is there a need for psm for unity? I will probably install it either way eventually, but if I don't need to right away and the files will be indefinitely available, I can wait.

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sorry, I should clarify - you don't need PSM for Unity if you already have the PSM Dev Assistant. You can use PSM+ straight away (provided you have access to the closed beta on the Wololo forums) with the regular PSM Dev Assistant.

The method using PSM for Unity is mainly for people who did not/could not install the regular PSM Dev Assistant for whatever reason. Because PSM for Unity is DRM-free, it can be installed using the Package Manager - the regular PSM Dev Assistant cannot.

That said, PSM for Unity is supposed to have various advantages such as connection over Wifi as well as USB, potential support for the PSTV, etc.

JoelStickney

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome guide. Really concise and clear. Couple questions though (I'm new to Vita anything so these questions may seem obvious :P ):

1. Will this work for Vita FW 3.15 as well? If not, is there an easy way to update to 3.18 (do you consider that the best version for these home-brewing)?
2. Do you turn Vita wifi on and off in Step 3 and also in Step 6? Anything necessary I need to do to make sure it doesn't pick up an auto-update during that time.
3. If you need QCMA to install it in the end, over USB - then how could we ever end up installing it on the PS TV since I don't think it has a USB connection? Probably an obvious answer here, I just don't know it.

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
1) I'm not completely sure because I'm not running 3.15. There's no reason why not in theory because everything written in the guide should work fine on 3.15. However, I'm not sure if the PSM for Unity update 1.05 requires 3.18 or works on older firmwares. Try it. You could also try installing the base PSM for Unity pkg without the update.

3.18 is popular because you can use TN-V (PSP mode exploits) and TN-X (PS1 mode exploits) with it, meaning you can use PSP homebrew and isos, PS1 isos etc. That said, those exploits might also exist for 3.15 too.

2) You only need the Wifi on to check your email, I believe. That said, it shouldn't cause any hard to keep the Wifi on because the Vita doesn't auto-update like the 3DS and Wii U do - it will never update without asking you. You should disable it when you can just in case, though.

3) Actually, good point about the PSTV. You should still be able to install it on the PSTV using the recently-released EML Generator. I don't own a PSTV to check, though.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To disable auto updates
Settings> System> Auto-Start Settings>Download Update File for System Software

darcangel

Lovely Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
great tutorial dude,

I just got one problem on the step 7.

My QCMA wont refresh the database; it will just keep saying that there is no vita registered.

SO in the end when I go in the option to see the PKGs inside the manager on vita the list will always be empty,
Any help?

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
1) I'm not completely sure because I'm not running 3.15. There's no reason why not in theory because everything written in the guide should work fine on 3.15. However, I'm not sure if the PSM for Unity update 1.05 requires 3.18 or works on older firmwares. Try it. You could also try installing the base PSM for Unity pkg without the update.

3.18 is popular because you can use TN-V (PSP mode exploits) and TN-X (PS1 mode exploits) with it, meaning you can use PSP homebrew and isos, PS1 isos etc. That said, those exploits might also exist for 3.15 too.
Actually all eCFW and PS1 Loader exploits works on 3.20 (version exclusive to NA Vita TVs) and below. So yeah, they work on 3.18 too. But if needed to update to 3.18 to run actual vita games (either PSN or cartridges) users can try updating to 3.18 using tricks with QCMA or a usb stick if using PSTV/VitaTV (actually I recommend updating a Vita TV to 3.18 to gain compatibility with dualshock 4 controllers).

Xboxguy8723

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently having the same issue as darcangel, i get to where i need to refresh the database but it says no vita is registered does anyone have any suggestions for us to try?

Edit: Finally figured out my problem!!
For anyone who has the same issue i mentioned try this, go to your content manager assistant and go to copy content and connect to your pc to the point where you get to the screen where you can select the options of where to copy content from. After that i was finally able to get a database registered for qcma to see and i was able to finally install the psm dev unity package and update on my 3.18 vita.

Last edited by Xboxguy8723,

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
PSM+ is now publically available, as is Rejuvenate for Unity! Guide has been updated to reflect this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?