Hacking [Tutorial] Importing and Exporting VC DS Saves (testing needed)

XaneTenshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
So Im stuck on how you were able to extract your save with Save Mii Mod. I can understand if the VC games where purchases from the Eshop however im dealing with DS VC injections. Meaning I made my own installs for DS games that aren't available on the eshop like Pokemon Platinum. The saves are not on the SD card they are on the console. Yet Save Mii doesn't see the game at all. wtf am I doing wrong here?

Hmm...Well unfortunately it's been a while since I did this so I don't recall it that clearly, but for the record my game was a VC Install aswell (A heavily modified version of Pokemon Platinum), so it definitely works.

You should be able to see the savefile with SaveMii Mod regardless of where the save is, because it can see savefiles on the console aswell as on the SD Card. Make sure you actually have activated CFW before you use the program, otherwise it won't be able to browse anything besides the SD Card. On That note, which CFW are you using?

Alternatively, try to use FTPIIU Everywhere and manually backup the file to your pc. But make sure you use the "Everywhere" version, because the regular version can't browse the Console itself.

PlantedWave5190

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to export my 100% completed VC save file of SM64DS onto my retail copy. And thanks to Luma3DS CFW and TWLSaveTool on my old 3DS, it worked flawlessly.

Now, I'll need to import a .duc file converted to .sav into my VC game. I already made a backup just in case something goes wrong. In the 80000001 folder of my save, I noticed that there are four files in here. I know two of them are vital (.save and .conf), and one is to be deleted (.state). But it's that one file that seems pretty much pointless to me. (once (a file just named once))

once (unknown file)
.save file
.state file (suspend point)
.conf file (config file)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you just need the save file. you may have to hex edit the save, because I don't think they're the right size, but that's easy enough to try and test.

PlantedWave5190

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the once file for? Does it have to do with that the welcome screen for DS VC will show up when you boot a game for the first time?

PlantedWave5190

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured it out now. I managed to inject a .duc file (converted to .sav) into a new save slot and restored it into my game, opened it up, and just like exporting a VC save, importing worked flawlessly.

alivebacon

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. Dump the save of the game, swap out the files, and then inject it.
Having this issue with a heartgold inject and I don't wanna have to install saviine. How does one dump a game save when their dumper doesn't see the game to be dumped? Do I have to use saviine?
EDIT: Gonna try Saviine :/

Wait how do I inject the save file? I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean
I believe you replace the .SAVE file with your .SAV file, and then change the .SAV extension to .SAVE
If u wanna export a save from vc just do the opposite.
Of course as we can't dump the save yet this isnt gonna be of any use

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Saviine just says not interested???
ftpiiu everywhere doesnt work, what the fuck

Last edited by alivebacon,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried this with Pokémon Pearl and followed the instructions exactly. Did not work at all :(

you may have to trim the save in a hex editor like HxD. that's what I had to do. I think the save is over padded big time. just remove the padding, and then delete the state so that it doesn't rebuild the save file from scratch, and it should work, I think.

subaruanon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Export confirmed working with the Wii U VC Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. Dumped the save with the Cemu dumpling app with the web browser exploit, renamed it to the ROM's filename and changed the extension to .sav, then ran it through the shunyweb (dot) info save file converter (RAW format to R4) and plopped it onto my R4 SD card, booted right up.

NefariousBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did that and still didn't work. I made to trim the right part as well
you may have to trim the save in a hex editor like HxD. that's what I had to do. I think the save is over padded big time. just remove the padding, and then delete the state so that it doesn't rebuild the save file from scratch, and it should work, I think.

SaullTPocket

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've been trying to get this done for the 4th Layton game - the first level loops as an anti piracy measure - so I saved the game on my 3DS Twilight Menu after passing the first level as there's an AP patch on there - then transferred that sav file as a save file to my VC Inject on the WiiU. It didn't work at first until I deleted the state, save, once and conf files on the WIIU USB folder. Now it works - so if you're stuck, delete all the files on the folder for your WIIU VC game, then FTP over your save file, voila

ThatsAnotherJ13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this tutorial is very vague and flawed when it comes to directories so this is for those that are stuck like I was:

Open up SaveMii Mod (InjectMod Version if you are using an inject like me) through the Homebrew Launcher and backup the save data of your game.

You should find it in SD:/wiiu/backups

From there follow the base tutorial until you finish Step 5.

From System Settings, delete the save data of the game for the user you want to import to.

Finally, open back up SaveMii Mod and Restore the savedata of your game.

And boom, profit.
If you need any help feel free to let me know.

I tested this with the following games:
Rhythm Heaven (USA) - Inject
Elite Beat Agents (USA) - Inject
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (Japan) - Inject
Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 (Japan) - Inject

Reactions: Jediweirdo

Jediweirdo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because I'm a no-life, I decided to expand a crapton on everything here and just summarize everything talked about here. Although note that this might be inaccurate because I suck balls with pretty much any homebrewing scene that's not the Wii U lol. And also know that this is a slightly modified version of an old comment I made... which is a slightly modified version of zeron88's guide on how to do this (or at least that was their name before they got content deleted...). The reply thread of the comment I'm tweaking can be found here.

Another thing: I'm pretty sure you can add modded NDS/DS save files this way AND use this method with DSVC games that are user-made/isn't available in the eShop. Heck, if you convert it correctly even saves from other emulators/a 3DS will work too! So for anyone else who needs help with this specific issue, you can try to use this guide as well.

SETUP (AKA what you'll need):

- Your ripped .sav file on a working PC with the ability to edit the file extensions (If you're using the stock File Explorer that comes bundled in with Windows 10/11, then you may need to unhide file extensions before proceeding)
- A working copy (legal or not-as-legal) of the DSVC version of whatever game you're trying to transfer (in this case being your "Something, something eleven" game)
- A homebrewed Wii U with fully working system settings (Specifically the data management part of it)
- A minimum of 10 minutes of your time (up to 1 hour if you work rrrreeeeeeeaaaaalllllllyyyyyy slow and possibly even 1+ hours if you run into a serious issue). It's not that hard and it's something you can probably memorize after running through it a couple times.
- A homebrewed Wii U with fully working system settings (Specifically data management) es should be the files for SaveMiiMod5 homebrew or a newer version of that (the download for that can be found on the homebrew AppStore or it can be manually downloaded here (note that clicking on the link will automatically start the file download to your computer)). While you might be able to use Saveiine, this guide is centered around using the newer and much better SaveMii

----------
INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Play the game on the DSVC and speedrun to the nearest point you can save the game as the DS game originally intended for you to save it.
    1. It doesn't matter how much of the game you get done, but it is crucial that you legitimately save the game or let the game autosave for you. I'm not too sure that loading/restoring savestates count as saving the game, so don't use this as a first resort. Rather, only try this if saving the game regularly doesn't create a save file.
      1. I believe that you can verify that you have created save data by checking for it via data management in system settings
  2. Safely exit the DSVC game and make a backup of the DSVC's save file using SaveMii, Saveiine, or whatever save editor you're currently using. In case I wasn't clear already, make sure the backed up savedata is on your SD card! After you've acquired the goods, take the SD card out of the Wii U and chuck it into your PC.
    1. Things to note before moving on:
      1. As you probably know, messing with an HDD that's been formatted for Wii U use while it's not plugged into the Wii U is basically suicide to whatever content is currently on it. So don't make the save editing tool your computer!
      2. Don't bother having the save game you want to transfer on your SD card yet. Keep it on your PC!
      3. Before doing anything, be sure to make a copy of the original .sav file in case something bad ever happens to it. I don't think any harm will come to it, but it's better to be safe than sorry!
  3. Go into the newly backed up save folder that should be on your SD card via your file editing tool and delete any file inside it that has ".state" as its extension. Leave everything else alone!
    1. The save folder is usually copied to SD:\wiiu\saves\DS VC\[insert a string of 8 numbers here]. If isn't there, then I'm afraid you'll have to go hunting for it!
  4. Look for any file that has the ".save" file extension on it, and scribble down its full name AND file destination for later use. Then, delete that file
  5. Go to the saved game on your PC and change the name of the file you want to eject into the Wii U to exactly match the ".save" game you deleted in the last step. And when I say everything, I mean everything-- extension included (AKA change the ".sav" extension of the game to ".save")!
    1. If you're on Windows 10/11, then this is a friendly reminder to make sure you have domains/extensions unhidden so you don't name it to "[file name goes here].save.sav" instead of "[file name goes here].save"!
    2. And for any user, regardless of file editor, this is a friendly reminder to duplicate the original .sav file before changing it in case you need it later!
  6. If you haven't already, copy your new .save file to the same place where the old .save file was located on your SD card. After ensuring that everything is in order, eject your SD card safely and chuck the SD card back into your Wii U.
  7. Before you go back to your save editor, there's something else we need to do first. Navigate to the System Settings app on your Wii U and find the data management section. After that, navigate to wherever your chosen DSVC game is saved and delete its save data for only the profile you're planning on using! Deleting anymore than that is kind of a jerk move to anyone else also using the Wii U.
  8. Exit System Settings and boot up SaveMii or whatever save editing tool you're using. Then, recover the savefile you have edited or press whatever button it is to reinject your savefile to the Wii U.
  9. You should be done!
-------------------
Exporting Wii U saves to a DS/NDS:

If you want to transfer it back to ".sav", then all you need to do is copy the save file to your SD card and rename the file extension to the name it had before! In fact, the name of the game doesn't really matter as long as you rename the extension back to ".sav". To be safe though, I'd just rename it back to what it was before in order to guarantee it works.

--------------------
Troubleshooting:
  • My DS save file is .drc or one of the other numerous save file types that's not .sav! What should I do???
    • Use Shunyweb (it's a website, not an executable) to covert from whatever file type you have (find it in the dropdown of the "Source" Category) to whatever the .sav file size should be (i.e 64k, 32k, 8kb, or 0.5kb). If you aren't sure, then leave the default setting of acekard rpg / ez flash v / raw format [autodetection] (.sav)
  • I thought I got my save file, but the progress is reset to 0%? What happened there???
    • You may have not deleted the save data that you initially made at the start of the guide. Be sure to purge the old save data, then double-check by purging the data again via SaveMii or some other save file editor. Then, try again.
  • I followed everything correctly, but SaveMii isn't picking up any savefile that's not on my SD card. Da heck did you do magic man???
    • Before using SaveMii, make sure that CFW is enabled and if you have Tiramisu, make sure that 01_sigpatches.rpx (careful-- clicking on the link will download 01_sigpatches.rpx!) exists and the file is in the right place (/wiiu/environments/tiramisu/modules/setup).
  • I thought I did everything right, but literally nothing happened and it didn't work. Is this guide a secret government-issued propaganda designed to waste my time?
    • If you really have followed everything correctly to a tee, then the only problem I can come up with is that your .sav file is omega padded. Basically, a save being padded means that the save itself is much bigger than it should be because the save is "padded" with a bunch of extra unneeded 0s or 1s. Usually, nothing happens, but in situations like these, it can screw saves so bad that not even the game will recognize them as saves and will literally delete and ignore them! You can usually tell if the save is padded if the save itself is like 500kb or some ridiculous number. I think the highest .sav files can be is 64kb, and even then you should double-check online how much space the .sav is supposed to take up.
      • To fix this, you have a few options. First, you can try to trim the padded 0s off using something like godmode9 (if you have a 3DS), NDSTokyoTrim (for everybody else), or manually do it in a hex editor. You could also try to redo the dump with different dumping software and see if that would help. Finally, you can try to force the padded 1s and 0s out by compressing the .sav file to a smaller size using Shunyweb. Don't know if any of those 3 will work, but you can for sure try! Just remember to make a backup before you attempt anything.
  • Note that looking at the reply thread of the original reply thread is a great place to answer questions that aren't listed here. And of course, you can always ask r/NDSHacks or here on GBAtemp for help too because they probably understand where questions like this much better than I can. If you do GBAtemp though, ask for godreborn and they will probably answer whatever questions you have about just about anything hacking-related. I think godreborn might actually be Jeebus reincarnated as an Indian IT tech support guy.
----------------------------
Conclusion:

And there, is everything you should need for swapping DS games between a Wii U and an NDS. This was actually meant to reply to a Reddit post on r/WiiUHacks, but it was too long so I'm posting it here instead. And thanks to that, some arts may sound off because this wasn't originally meant for this lol-- I just didn't want to discard 4 to 5 hours of work writing this up lol. And with that, I hope this helps!

Last edited by Jediweirdo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"