[Tutorial] DsWiFiPWN

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by I_AM_L_FORCE, Mar 6, 2017.

1. I_AM_L_FORCE
    OP

I_AM_L_FORCE Unban me from Discord

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    DsWiFiPWN is a way of having a backup NAND dump/restore function on your console!
    DsWiFiPWN is basically a way of having DSIwareHAX installed over your consoles DS wifi settings.
    What this can achieve is rather basic: the ability to dump/restore NAND backups of any console that this exploit(?) may be installed on.

Yes, while A9LH is essentially invincible, there are cases where A9LH has been worked around by Nintendo. When A9LH first came out, consoles that updated had A9LH overwritten,
    however most custom firmwares have fixed this issue in the form of FIRM protection or sustained use of emunand. However recently Gateway users had an issue that if they used Gateway CFW with 11.3 Sysnand, A9LH was overwritten, even if they didn't update whilst using Gateway. If you ever find yourself in that situation for whatever reason, but you have DsWiFiPWN installed you can just simply restore an earlier NAND backup.

Method:

• First of all, acquire your favourite exploitable DSI game.
    • Download the exploitable public.sav save file for your game, refer here
    • Copy your exploited save file to your SD card
    • Open FBI or Godmode9 on your 3DS, and navigate to these file locations:
      File locations
    • There should be a .app file in this folder, copy that to your SD card and rename it to "00000002.app"
    • Copy your new 00000002.app and paste it in this location: TWLNAND-> title-> 00030005-> 42383841-> content (overwriting the .app already there, though please back it up first!)
    • Create a new folder with the filename "data" in this location: TWLNAND-> title-> 00030005-> 42383841
    • Paste the public.sav you downloaded earlier into the folder you just created
    • Download fwTool and paste it to the root of your SD card.
    • Reboot your 3DS
    • Open the Settings application, then go into internet settings, then into "Nintendo DS Connections"
    • If you have followed this guide correctly, you should boot into your DSI game. Launch the exploit of the game you installed and it should boot into whatever "boot.nds" you have on your SD card root, it should be fwTool.
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKS THAT MAY OR MAY NOT OCCUR AS A RESULT OF YOUR ERROR

Last edited by I_AM_L_FORCE, Mar 19, 2017
    cvskid, Coc4tm, 8BitWonder and 4 others like this.
  2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I love the project already and such. But two things.
    The whole, "But A9LH..." not sure what you are trying to imply with that little spoiler and it just seems like a weirdly worded half-thought.
    The second being that this still requires one to already have a backup and one of the long removed DSiware games. If they don't have one or the other, than they are still SOL.
    This is helpful for those who updated and just happen to fall into those two spots, but it is something worth noting.

I_AM_L_FORCE likes this.
  3. I_AM_L_FORCE
    OP

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    True, I was not trying to undermine A9LH in any way at all, just rather mention that it is not unpatchable

EDIT: Also, the DSI game does not have to be "legit"

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    It's just weirdly worded and kind of confusing to what you are trying to get at. I like the idea, any means of restoring one's NAND if they happen to have both the game(s) and a NAND backup.

5. I_AM_L_FORCE
    OP

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    I rewrote that bit like 4 times damnit :rofl:. Let me try again

6. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    This is basically a rehash of this:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-new-installing-sudokuhax-on-3ds-4-x-9-2.388621/
    Only difference is that this method installs to ds wifi app instead of ds download play. I guess it's up to the user to decide whether dswifi or dsdlp should be sacrificed. However, do know that sudokuhax can also be installed in any purchased or free dsiware app as well (US and JPN have free dsiware titles).

But, all told, the more people that know about this the better. It's especially useful for those that are <= 11.2 and haven't installed a9lh. It's like a get-out-of-jail-free card if you accidentily update. (and a good installation vector for sighax).

Last edited by zoogie, Mar 6, 2017
    MsMidnight and I_AM_L_FORCE like this.
  7. BoujNoob

BoujNoob Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2017
    United States
    How does that work, by the way?

8. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    so its another layer of security in case a9lh is removed for some reason. cool!

9. I_AM_L_FORCE
    OP

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    Essentially the same way as replacing the DS WiFi settings, just with a different .app file

10. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    It's funny how OP has suddenly dubbed this DSWiFiPWN as if it's a new discovery from him or something.

Oh well, the more people who know about this the better.

The DS wifi settings are included in any DS game that uses wifi functionality. The copy in System Settings is just a redundancy.
    There's also the fact that DS online connectivity hasn't worked in years...
    Sacrificing wifi settings seems like the obvious choice.

I_AM_L_FORCE likes this.
  11. BoujNoob

BoujNoob Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2017
    United States
    Oh, alright.

I_AM_L_FORCE likes this.
  12. jupitteer

jupitteer idk what i'm doing

Feb 17, 2017
    Antarctica
    Subcon
    Pretty cool concept!

I_AM_L_FORCE likes this.
  13. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    hey does this work for legend of zelda four swords adventure for dsi ware. I mean the dsi exploit works. but can it be used with dsWifispwn

14. I_AM_L_FORCE
    OP

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    Yeah, it works in the exact same way. You just have to find the haxxed save ;)

15. koffieleut

koffieleut GBAtemp Fan

Jan 22, 2009
    Netherlands
    probably at home
    But this is only for 3ds what I read? I'd love to see some kind of real dsi hack sometime, so I can play four swords with friends :P

16. I_AM_L_FORCE
    OP

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    I mean, if you have means to dump and decrypt the DSi NAND, replace a .app file such as the sound app, then re encrypt and reflash the NAND, it'd work I guess.

Last edited by I_AM_L_FORCE, Mar 10, 2017
    koffieleut likes this.
  17. TheGreek Boy

TheGreek Boy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 9, 2016
    Greece
    Behind you.
    i'm did that 1 week ago without any tutorial

18. I_AM_L_FORCE
    OP

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    Good for you.
    This is here for those who may not necessarily know this is a thing.

19. DavidRO99

DavidRO99 Average Ryzen user.

Jun 11, 2016
    Korea, North
    your back-door
    I have a question, can we get the .app from just a normal ds rom?

20. I_AM_L_FORCE
    OP

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    Not a normal DS ROM. A DSiware game though? Go for it.