[Tutorial] Create custom Mario Kart 7 tracks

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by TheZoroark007, Nov 21, 2015.

1. TheZoroark007
    OP

TheZoroark007 MK7 CT creator

Apr 2, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Lake Constance
    Hello, this is my first tutorial here and I hope that it will be good enough! I will try to explain you how to make a completely Custom Track for Mario Kart 7. The steps for those are:

1. The Model
    2. The Collision
    3. The KMP
    4. Animations

Tools you need:
    - EveryFileExplorer: http://florian.nouwt.com/EFE.zip
    - The Tool KMPExpander: http://store.dshack.org/index.php?/file/168-kmp-expander/

1. The Model

The first step in creating a custom track is the model. To create a model, you can use Sketchup or any other 3D modeling software. Your model should not have more than 10000 polys and not more than 21 textures. After you have created your model, you should export it as .obj and and then you have two opportunities
    1. Use EFE: When you use EFE, you only have to click File-New from File-CTR Graphics (CGFX) and select your model as obj.Insert the name of the course (Gctr_GlideLake for example). Then click the save symbol and save it somewhere. Now open the .szs of the course you want to replace and you are done. This is the faster way , but the textures have no transparency and your CT will most likely lag.
    2. Use the NW4C Plugins (http://store.dshack.org/index.php?/file/3-ds-and-3ds-hack-pack/). To use them, move the plugins to your Maya/3DSMax folder and start them with the .bat inside the hackpack.Since I use Maya and I couldn´t find out how to use this in 3DSMax, I will explain this for Maya Users. First open up Maya with the .bat that is coresponding your Maya version and load up your model. Now press Window<Rendering Editors<Hypershade and select all of your textures. Now with that window open click NW4C< NW4C Set Material Attidude and uncheck Fragment lightning. Now click on NW4C<NW4C Export with Settings and enter the name of the Course you want to replace (Gctr_GlideLake for example). Now open up the Folder you saved the file to and open CreativeStudio (In the DShack Pack). Now load your course in there and select opttimize<simplyfy bones and save as binary. Now import the course with EveryFileExplorer into your .szs and you are done. This way takes longer, but the result is much better!

2. The Collision
    Every track needs a collision. If it wouldn´t, you would fell down the floor the whole time. So, how do we create a coll:
    1. Take your model and delete everything the driver will never touch (like the cover of a cave). Attention: The collision must be exactly where the model is or it won´t work, so use the model of your Custom Track (CT) without moving it.
    2. Export your collision as .obj and open up EveryFileExplorer (EFE). There click File<New from File<< MArio Kart Plugin< Mario Kart 7 Collision (KCL). Select your exported .obj and in the fields where there is 0000 insert one of these values( depends on what the material should be, like lava,mud,water,wall,road...):
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Now save the .kcl as whatevername.kcl and import it into the same .szs file you imported your model.

and now the hardest part:
    3. The KMP
    This is something that tells the game where the enemy should drive, where you are out of bounds, where item boxes are and so on...
    To do so, open up KMPExpander, import an already existing .kmp (you can dump that from the .szs you are using for your track). Then click view and select the .obj from your collision. You should now see many points and your course. Now you have to move the enemy points (don´t add new ones, that could cause crashing) and press the right mouse button and the KMPExpander will auto-calculate the Y-Value. Do this with all enemy points/item-points and (at least) the goal in the object section (you can also move everything there.)
    And now to the part where most people fail: The checkpoints. First of all I found out that there is a min. distance between the red and green checkpoint, so you shouldn´t put them too close. But you should also do not put them too far I think... So move them around your track so that it has all the green points where it´s left from the driver and all red points right from the driver.
    Now save and import the KMP into your szs.

4. Animations

You select the material (not the texture) in CC and then open the curve editor. There, the three options at the bottom are those you want to use. Now, select one (x or y in the three). Press S, insert 0 and 0 where the coordinates are on top of the course editor. Now select the dot you just created, press S again and this time insert 60 on the left window and 1 on the right coordinates window . If you want the animation to be slower, replace the 60 with a higher number (like 300). Repeat this for every material and for X or/and Y. Now, close the curve editor and you will see a new file in CC, normaly named something with animation . There select the textures used for your animated materials and change the number of frames to that one you inserted in curve editor, so 60 (or in this example 300) and check the loop animation
    You are now done! Now just insert the file into your romfs folder and rebuild!
    If this guide for KMP editing is confusing for you, try
    http://www.dshack.org/forum.php?page=thread&tid=114

Credits:
    EFE: Gericom.
    KMP Expander: Ermelber.
    Hack Pack: Nintendo, but leaked by MKGirlism.
    KCL List: MKGirlism and Stewie1.0
    All the information found in this Tutorial: all MK7 Hackers at DSHack.org.

Last edited by TheZoroark007, Jan 20, 2016 - Reason: Added Animations

2. Timthegangsta

Timthegangsta Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    Soild a job man looking good. I'm allready half way finished with my first track your the man.

TheZoroark007 likes this.
  3. CuriousTommy

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    Out of curiosity, what 3D editor are you using?

4. Timthegangsta

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    I use sketchup just because its free and has all the tools I need I do use blender a bit but. I am on the fence with that one.

5. CuriousTommy

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    Is it possible to do an underwater section like the one in Cheep Cheep Lagoon, Piranha Plant Slide, Wario Shipyard?

I am actually trying out Blender, but I having this weird issues when zooming out. Part of the model disappears when I zoom out too far.

Show Pictures

Edit: Added a picture to show what I mean.

Last edited by CuriousTommy, Nov 22, 2015
  6. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    the time I want it just to make an StH based track just to see how it would look :B(could a loop work there? hahah ) but wthout my 3DS and how work it look I'm nor willing so much yet XD

7. Timthegangsta

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    I belive thats a setting that cuts out certain parts of the model while you edit a nother to save on hardware because eventually the model will have more pollys so it helps keep it running smooth on med -spec machines- please don't quote me on this as I'm still fairly new to blender aswell :)

8. CuriousTommy

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    You are right, there is a setting!
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25878586/huge-scale-scenes-in-blender
    (You just need to change the camera clip settings only)

9. YamiHoshi.nl

YamiHoshi.nl I'm MKGirlism.

May 23, 2011
    Tokyo
    Nice job, stealing our hard work.
    The KCL List, all the discoveries, who make the Tools, not even one thing was credited, while anything else here on GBATemp always gets credited...

Then let me do it for you:
    EFE: Gericom.
    KMP Expander: Ermelber.
    Hack Pack: Nintendo, but leaked by MKGirlism.
    KCL List: MKGirlism and Stewie1.0
    All the information found in this Tutorial: all MK7 Hackers at DSHack.org.

I said that, because everything in this Thread (including the Replies) makes it sound like you did it all.

PokeAcer and szymbar15 like this.
  10. szymbar15

szymbar15 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2012
    Poland
    Oh well.
    I didn't expect all the DSHack dramas will reach GBATemp as well. But hey, a circle of life. First some people steal discoveries from others on DSHack, then others steal stuff from people on DSHack and post it to GBATemp.

PokeAcer likes this.
  11. YamiHoshi.nl

May 23, 2011
    Tokyo
    It wasn't my intention to create a Drama here, I only wanted everything to be fair, and that can only be done, when I speak the truth.

Ermelber and szymbar15 like this.
  12. Ermelber

Ermelber GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2012
    Italy
    Como, Lombardia
    Yes, just use the "WaterDive" object (ID: 0x0141) and its Y is equivalent to the height of the water.

CuriousTommy and TheZoroark007 like this.
  13. TheZoroark007
    OP

Apr 2, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Lake Constance
    I added the Credits, but if you don't create a full tutorial on how to create a CT, I just do it. I put the KCL in spoilers because they are from DsHack.
    I should credit you next time.I´m sorry that I forgot that!
    This was my first tutorial and it only exist, because multiple people wanted me to make one, so I simply forgot to mention the makers of the tools and researchers!

Last edited by TheZoroark007, Nov 26, 2015
  14. YamiHoshi.nl

May 23, 2011
    Tokyo
    Don't get me wrong, it's nice you made a Tutorial, I just wanted to point it out, to keep things fair.
    The only reason why I didn't make a Tutorial, is simply because I suck at making Tutorials.

TheZoroark007 likes this.
  15. Ermelber

Ermelber GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2012
    Italy
    Como, Lombardia
    You can also include my WIP tutorial of KMP Expander on the first post if you want.

16. TheZoroark007
    OP

Apr 2, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Lake Constance
    I will

17. CuriousTommy

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    So I have been playing with Blender for a while but I keep having trouble with importing the exported .obj from blender to EveryFileExplorer. I always keep getting the error: "The given path's format is not supported." I'm having a suspicion that it may have to do with beizer curves but I need to do more experimenting.

Do the models have to be exported as triangles like how Mario Kart Wii CT Model's have to be in triangles?

Is it like Mario Kart Wii where you have to add the model files in the course, or is it like Mario Kart 8 where all the KCL objects are all in one common folder and you only have to worry about adding the ID in?

Last edited by CuriousTommy, Nov 27, 2015
  18. TheZoroark007
    OP

Apr 2, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Lake Constance
    The path error can be solved by open the .mtl file and delete the path to your texture, so if your path is C/MK7/CT/omg.png delete the C/MK7/CT part from the whole document (with replace all in editor).

For the triangles, I'm not sure, but I think it woud be better to triangulate the model

CuriousTommy likes this.
  19. Ermelber

Ermelber GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2012
    Italy
    Como, Lombardia
    Sure?

Yes, but in this case, you don't need any BCMDL. It just triggers the water :P

CuriousTommy likes this.
  20. CuriousTommy

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    I got it to work! Thank you all! Now I can continue working on it! (On a side note, I seem to randomly die on certain spots, but I heard that there is nothing anyone can do about it, I also have to see if I can do something about the glitchy collision for the pipe)
    Here are some pictures of the W.I.P course

Okay, I'll give it a try on Rainbow Road.

Last edited by CuriousTommy, Nov 27, 2015