Hardware Turning 3D off doubles FPS

denieru7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Source

QUOTE said:
???????????3D????????????30????????????????30???????????????????????3D????? ?????60?????????????????

Team Ninja head Yousuke Hayashi stated in a recent interview that Dead or Alive: Dimensions runs at 60 fps in 2D, but 30 fps in 3D.

It will be interesting to see if other games see improvements from 3D being turned off.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't see 3D being used too much after launch anyway. It seems like something that goes on top of the game without making it too much more enjoyable.

ShadowFyre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
I can't see 3D being used too much after launch anyway. It seems like something that goes on top of the game without making it too much more enjoyable.

I dunno man, I can't imagine a whole lot of people who will turn off the 3D on Dead or Alive. Half the game is just watching virtual boobs jiggle, and the 3D is just gonna add to it.

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don'r see myself using 3d that much but if Nintendo doesn't come out with games that are greatly enhanced by 3d the console will be a flop.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
ShadowFyre said:
_Chaz_ said:

I dunno man, I can't imagine a whole lot of people who will turn off the 3D on Dead or Alive. Half the game is just watching virtual boobs jiggle, and the 3D is just gonna add to it.
Well maybe not for that game but if it will make the battery last longer with it off I can see my self doing it. I have to agree with _Chaz_, it is more or less just a gimmick to sell systems. I can't visualize in my head how they can use it to effect game play.

denieru7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally, I'll probably have the 3D effect turned down to the absolute minimum without being off. This is what I currently do with the volume slider on my Lite.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
IchigoSJ said:
Well most people won't see it as a negative don't most games run at 30fps anyway.

Yeah, but once you've seen a game running at silky-smooth 60fps, resorting to 30fps is a significant compromise. For me, anyway.
tongue.gif

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
431unknown said:
Well maybe not for that game but if it will make the battery last longer with it off I can see my self doing it.
If it doubles framerate with 3D off then it's not downclocking, so no battery saved from the clock rate.
I'm pretty sure the 3D will consume more power.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
pyrmon24 said:
Rydian said:
431unknown said:
Well maybe not for that game but if it will make the battery last longer with it off I can see my self doing it.
If it doubles framerate with 3D off then it's not downclocking, so no battery saved from the clock rate.
I'm pretty sure the 3D will consume more power.
Which is why it halves the framerate, because it's rendering two camera angles, essentially rendering the same screen twice from two viewpoints.

If 3D is off then the other half of the power can just go to rendering additional frames, so the framerate can jump up to 60FPS (from 30).

There will be no major change in the processing power used.

If they kept it at 30FPS then yes, but not if it goes up to 60.

Traversal

Soooo cool!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I'm okay with 30 FPS, I never really noticed a significant difference in gameplay, heck, I think some games look worse at 60 FPS, like more cinematic games and such.

Anyways, besides, I'll probably keep 3D on while I'm playing games, I mean, If I'm buying a system called the 3DS, then I might as well us the 3D.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seems like 3d is only graphics to everyone and doesn't count in gameplay
well, i still remember miyamoto talking about the biggest problem i had with 3d mario games:
you didn't exactly know where you'll land or if u get the coin or not, jump on the enemy or not, jamp af a kliff or not
according to him, with 3d, it's much easier to see the distance and feel it, making 3d games more enjoyable

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.