Homebrew Discussion Turn off your Nintendo Switch!

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(NOT CONFIRMED ON VANILLA CONSOLES AND NOT CONFIRMED TO HAVE HAPPENED BEFORE 6.0.0 UPDATE)

Ever since 6.0.0 all users that have installed modified software (It seems) now suffers from a problem that has to do with turning off your console. Perhaps this is Nintendo's 6.0.0 firmware problem? Or perhaps it's modified software but for now I will blame the SX OS/Other Payloads. (Even though I personally believe it's Nintendo's faulty firmware.)

When turning your Nintendo Switch off the system does not turn off. In CFW or not, it does not *ACTUALLY* turn off. You can see this because SX PRO Dongle will generate power if you plug it in and, more importantly, your Joy-Cons will be on. This seems to happen 100% of the time since 6.0.0 when turning off the system any other way but a hard reset. (Hold Power Button for 12 seconds.)

Holding the Power Button and pressing "Turn off" on the touch screen causes this to happen.
Pressing reset and it getting interrupted causes this to happen. (AutoRCM installed and pressing reset while the dongle is not in.)

Just wanted to say it wastes your Joy-Con batteries and your Nintendo Switch battery all because you did not know it failed to turn off... Every time.

Csmrcc

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Only the users that had modified the console? The others can turn off it normally?
Omg I hope Nintendo won't start a revenge policy.

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it DOES sound like an AutoRCM issue. I'd think it is... Except I never installed AutoRCM. I can confirm one does NOT have AutoRCM in which it once did and does this. The other never had it and still does this.

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same^ XD But I've been making model and texture mods with Breath of the Wild so I absolutely need to turn it off often.. Which sucks because it's annoying.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Why would I want to shutdown the console?
it's on standby in its charging stand since day one. I never switch it off, why would I do that? isn't the console made to stay in the charging stand while playing and while not playing too?

Last edited by Cyan,

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. It's meant to turn off when you need it to be turned off, end of story. No matter how often or not this may be, the power button is there to turn it off. Pressing the button puts it into stad by mode. Holding it and pressing "Power off" should turn it off but it doesn't for the people who absolutely need it off for ANY reason.

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. :/ Because it happens on OFW you'd think it may be Nintendo... But I personally have modded my console so it is valid to believe that may be the case.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of turning off the switch:
I absolutely despise how they didn't put a turn off option when holding the home button and pressing the power button for 6 seconds is way too long.

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
12 seconds is way longer. XD
6 seconds is just to get to the REAL power off. 12 is if you cannot turn off the system normally. -.-

Also LOL @ Song of Storms. XD

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Why would I want to shutdown the console?
it's on standby in its charging stand since day one. I never switch it off, why would I do that? isn't the console made to stay in the charging stand while playing and while not playing too?
That's not recommended, it puts unnecessary wear and tear on the battery.

Reactions: Cyan

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very uneccessary. Also because the system is not off and it seems to be glitched, the controllers stay on forever until they die. Not only will they be dead, the life of the battery for all three pieces of hardware (OR more depending on your Joy--Con count connected and on) are now losing their max battery life for literally no reason.

But as for putting it into sleep, yes. It's reasonable. It sleeps for awhile but please do turn it off when you know you will not be using it for extensive periods of time because of the max battery life.

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modified NSP causes this? Do you have any proof of this?
Also I was thinking it was the firmware (Nintendo's faulty firmware, or Nintendo's new firmware's chemistry to CFWs.)

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using reinx 5.1 since it's release, and my switch always powered off correctly. I installed the n64 emulator the other day, along with retronx nsp, if I have my joy cons in wireless mode and power down my switch the joy con lights stay lit up until I hold down the power button for 30-60 seconds. If I uninstall retronx my switch will power down correctly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol