Hacking TurboGrafx-16/Pc Engine injection Guide

Mr Objection

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I also had a look and it seems there are a lot of things hinting at it supporting CD Rom games (1,2,3), this works (not sure if it's really an indication of anything though) and Ogg Vorbis also appears to be supported (which is the sound format used by the Wii version of the TG16 VC). I wish I understood these things better... it feels quite close... and, at the same time, so far away. :unsure:
very interesting

Baphomet

Homebrew Justice Warrior™
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
Rondo of Blood is not compatible yet, right?
Is it because it's a CD ROM game for the Turbografx 16?
It's hard to say whether it's compatible as we don't have any real idea of what the setup is for Super CD-ROM² etc games. I'm guessing the only way of finding out is for one of those games to be released. Which seems unlikely tbh.

Notshane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's hard to say whether it's compatible as we don't have any real idea of what the setup is for Super CD-ROM² etc games. I'm guessing the only way of finding out is for one of those games to be released. Which seems unlikely tbh.

Eh, now that PC Engine is a thing on there and Virtual Console won't be on NX, I imagine Rondo of Blood will find its way there eventually.

Baphomet

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
Eh, now that PC Engine is a thing on there and Virtual Console won't be on NX, I imagine Rondo of Blood will find its way there eventually.

There is a three year gap between the release of Bonk's Adventure in Japan and in the West for the Wii U VC. Rondo Of Blood isn't even on the Japanese eShop and there are no CD titles on the store either. The Wii U is nearing the end of it's life-span and only now are we getting other VC titles like Majora's Mask etc. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong. But, I hardly think "niche titles a handful of people want" are top of Konami or Nintendo's priorities right now.

NX rumours are that tbh. Again, would be surprised if they dropped a service that gave them one of their more bankable edges over the competition.

Anyway, it's all off-topic. xD

If anybody is interested in getting the CD titles running. Decompressing the RPX and viewing the elf in a hex editor will at least show you some sort of support is included. Maybe somebody smart can figure out how the files are meant to be sorted from viewing it?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There is a three year gap between the release of Bonk's Adventure in Japan and in the West for the Wii U VC. Rondo Of Blood isn't even on the Japanese eShop and there are no CD titles on the store either. The Wii U is nearing the end of it's life-span and only now are we getting other VC titles like Majora's Mask etc. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong. But, I hardly think "niche titles a handful of people want" are top of Konami or Nintendo's priorities right now.

NX rumours are that tbh. Again, would be surprised if they dropped a service that gave them one of their more bankable edges over the competition.

Anyway, it's all off-topic. xD

If anybody is interested in getting the CD titles running. Decompressing the RPX and viewing the elf in a hex editor will at least show you some sort of support is included. Maybe somebody smart can figure out how the files are meant to be sorted from viewing it?
The Hex editor is not that much help.
I would recommend using the RPX converted to an ELF file using rpl2elf, using the ELF with IDA Pro since that one does indeed disassemble the ARM of the ELF and give you a better understanding of the ELF itself.

That's the way QuarkTheAwesome did it to manipulate the RPX of NES/SNES to have them output in widescreen instead of the boxed 4:3.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend using the RPX converted to an ELF file using rpl2elf, using the ELF with IDA Pro since that one does indeed disassemble the ARM of the ELF and give you a better understanding of the ELF itself.

That's the way QuarkTheAwesome did it to manipulate the RPX of NES/SNES to have them output in widescreen instead of the boxed 4:3.

This, a thousand times this, only caveat is you likely need the Wii U SDK as it makes conversion a lot easier, but they have to get that on their own. Too bad the whole Snes RPX thread kinda just died off, we never did find a solution for enabling and disabling filtering, curse my lack of GX2 ASM programming skills :unsure::mellow: I dare not bump or revive it because it's discouraged, unless I magically learn ASM for the Wii U and can find out more info.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This, a thousand times this, only caveat is you likely need the Wii U SDK as it makes conversion a lot easier, but they have to get that on their own. Too bad the whole Snes RPX thread kinda just died off, we never did find a solution for enabling and disabling filtering, curse my lack of GX2 ASM programming skills :unsure::mellow: I dare not bump or revive it because it's discouraged, unless I magically learn ASM for the Wii U and can find out more info.
Man do I wish there was a way to remove the idiotic filter/gamma correction of the N64 games, and not even mention widescreen for N64.
I stopped my playthrough of all my N64 games just because I don't have widescreen for them xD.
I can deal with Gamma correction with a simple brightness/contrast setting.

Baphomet

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica

It's more useful if you actually have the skills to make use of it, which I am sadly lacking.

And the opening in the hex editor reveals what is potentially missing and a vague idea of how the file type/structure works for a PCECD game. So, it's not entirely useless imo.

Mr Objection

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
But no one injected a Cd turbografx16 game in the 3ds? Because I think that the process to make it should be similar

ameisenmann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I downloaded some games with Wii USB Helper for Turbografx (Bomberman 94 e.g.). At first they booted fine. But when I reboot the console and try to start then every Turbografx freezes at the start screen (bootTvTex). I installed over 200 games in total but all other systems boot just fine.

JohnnyGo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to preface: This will not work with Turbo CD games.

I've created a tool to create a pce.pkg file from a TurboGrafx16 rom, and a fork of Injectiine to build a package that is installable with WUP Installer (or Loadiine but I haven't tested that). I've tested it with a few games, and it seems to work just fine. I make no guarantees though. If you encounter problems feel free to reply and I'll see what I can do though.

As a heads up, my knowledge of TurboGrafx16 games is greatly lacking. I based the tool off hippy dave's post on how the pce.pkg file is constructed. This post can be found on page one of this thread.

You can find the Injectiine fork and the source code for the tool used to create the pce.pkg on github (github dot com /Johnny-Go). I can't post links because I'm a new member.

Also this is my first time using GitHub so I apologize for any issues.

Last edited by JohnnyGo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Do you remember this song?