Tunneling Software?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by WildWon, Oct 23, 2008.

Oct 23, 2008

Tunneling Software? by WildWon at 1:40 PM (762 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. WildWon
    OP

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    So really, my question is the topic title. I remember for the Gamecube, there was tunneling software. You could plug your 'cube into your PC via cat-5, run the software, and it would hop onto the net and connect to any other people running the software to turn multiplayer offline games (i.e. mario kart) into an online based game, but tricking the 'cube into thinking its connected directly to another 'cube.

Has there been any developments with this on the DS front? I would LOVE to hop on and play some Soma Bringer with some of you freaks around the world. Or maybe some other wonderful non-net-based multiplayer DS games.

Lemme know, thanks! [​IMG]

2. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    I thought there was already a topic about this, but I don't know where, and I'm not feeling like searching for it.

There was someone busy with making software like this, but in the end, he realised that it was going nowhere, and he canceled it.

3. WildWon
    OP

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Well that is sad. Thanks for the info [​IMG] Yea, i did a quick check for another thread, but alas, came up empty. Also, if its back too far, then the info could very well be out of date.

If anyone else has other info, or hears something new, keep me posted [​IMG] THANKS!

4. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Unlike the PSP which does have tunneling software, the DS doesn't have an Operating system in which the games are ran from. It has a firmware which acts as a loader but thats it. When a game ia loaded, the memory that was used by the firmware is cleared to me made available to the game. So all the games have to implement WiFi and Internet connectivity themselves and they don't use the firmware for the request. Because of this, you can't simply create a tunneling software for the DS as you can with the PSP which uses the PSP firmware to handle internet connectivity.

Work has been done to try to add tunneling support for the DS but it was deemed impossible or not feasable and was dropped. For one, it would require hardware modifcation on the DS itself and external hardware to handle the requests. Also how local multiplier works, is that the DS expects 0 lag or delay with its requests since the people are so close together to one another. Even if theres a few miliseconds of lag during a local multiplier game, the connection would end up getting dropped, which is a problem with playing games over the internet. Internet requests simply have to high of a latency to make tunnel local multiplayer games over the internet. The DS simply wasn't build for.