Trying to unmodify SysNANDs before setting up a9lh

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by zhdarkstar, Apr 2, 2016.

1. zhdarkstar
    OP

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    After reading up on a9lh for the past few weeks, I feel comfortable beginning the conversion of my family's 3DSes. Three of them have had modifications done to their SysNANDs, which I could use some advice on the best way to get each one ready for a9lh.

O3DS 1: 4.5U, MSET, Sudokuhax installed over DS Connection Settings

O3DS 2: 9,2U, Menuhax, Sudokuhax installed over DS Connection Settings (leftover from when it was on 4.2U)

N3DS: 9.0U, MSET, 4.5 System Settings installed

2. Odven

Odven Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    Underground
    Get menuhax on sysnand for all three, then just follow a guide. Mset will get removed if you install cfw to your sysnand. I'm pretty sure formatting the sysnand will also remove mset. You don't need mset at all.

Edit: menuhax does require 9.2, you will need to use homebrew so if you can't find a reliable entry point on 4.5, you might want to consider a 9.2 sysnand upgrade first.

Last edited by Odven, Apr 2, 2016
  3. zhdarkstar
    OP

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    So for the N3DS, I'll simply just need to reinstall the 9.0 System Settings?

What about removing the Sudokuhax installations on the O3DSes? Would having that installed affect the OTP retrieval process?

Edit: The N3DS also has had the bluecardfix.cia installed on it. Will that cause any issues?

Last edited by zhdarkstar, Apr 2, 2016
  4. curley12

curley12 Mr.Awesome

Dec 24, 2012
    Somewhere
    Run a DS game I am pretty sure it resets MSET that's why you had to keep installing it wasn't it?

5. zhdarkstar
    OP

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I'm well aware of how the MSET exploit worked. That's why I had Sudokuhax installed on the O3DSes, so I could reload the glitch whenever I played a DS game or DSiWare. It's also how I switched between GW and rxTools on the 4.5U O3DS.

Since my intention is to keep all of these 3DSes running their current EmuNANDs of 10.7, I have no plans on updating the SysNANDs if I can avoid it.

The N3DS is used with a GW, so I know about the current workaround of booting into SysNAND and using the Gateway Launcher cia to boot into EmuNAND. Although I was wondering if another way was possible. Can MenuHax and a9lh coexist without one breaking the other? For example, would holding the MenuHax trigger still launch boot.3dsx while using AuReiNand/CakesFW set to boot into SysNAND?

The 4.5U O3DS can be updated to 9.2, if need be. However, there are some saves that I would have to run through SDF beforehand so I don't lose any progress. Most of the installed games I can easily look up the TitleID for, however what is the TitleID for the Streetpass Plaza games?

6. Odven

Odven Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    Underground
    If you follow a certain guide you can have your sysnand run with cfw, so install cia play games, whatever. This way you have 100% boot rate and no special launchers or hacks are needed. But seriously, having menuhax on sysnand makes the installation process so much faster. If you want to back up saves, download JK's save manager, and then you don't need to find title IDs. If you follow the guide correctly, you will keep all of your saves because your emunand will be flashed to sysnand. Once you've done this you can update and never loose cfw. However, always check back here to see if the latest update will cause any problems.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/otp-guide.415140/
    Follow the guide in that post (part 1-whatever)

Last edited by Odven, Apr 3, 2016
  7. zhdarkstar
    OP

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    This is the exact reason why I will never give up EmuNAND. It's a lot safer to reflash an EmuNAND backup in case of an update breaking functionality. I'd rather give up a couple extra seconds of boot time in exchange for the peace of mind that comes from not having to update my SysNAND past 9.2. Most of the guides out there talk about keeping a 9.2 EmuNAND for certain functionality anyways. Why go through the hassle of swapping them around, when I've got a perfectly good setup as it is?

I might try out that save manager on the 4.5 O3DS. The whole 6.x save encryption hassle is what's kept me from updating that O3DS, specifically if it applied to the Streetpass Plaza games. SDF has always been the way to handle the CIA games for me in the past. I used NTRCFW's save plugin for decrypting the saves of all of the games on my Gateway when I shifted my GW to my N3DS. Now I'm just trying to turn my O3DS into a reliable Player 2 console.

I know how to install MenuHax, as I've already done so on one of the O3DSes. That guide doesn't answer my question of whether or not MenuHax can be used AFTER a9lh installation. I'm wondering specifically for the purposes of the N3DS, which is a GW-using unit. I know all about using the Gateway Launcher cia, which would be more reliable. I just want to see if there was a way to semi-autoboot with a single button press, MenuHax trigger -> BootCtrManager -> Gateway.3dsx.