Trying to load a GameCube backup disc

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by the_importer, Nov 28, 2013.

1. the_importer
    OP

the_importer Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2013
    Canada
    Hi there,

I'm one of those rare creatures that actually use hacks for more legit purposes [​IMG]
    I'm a game collector (here's a nice link to a current list http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/collection.pl?name=the_importer&folder=Collection) and I do enjoy the benefit of the USB Launcher on my Wii to load my medium size Wii game library. I also once put my GameCube games on that same hard drive but found the Dios Mios compatibility not to my liking, so I decided to keep playing them on the GameCube system instead (got to put those expensive component cables to use after all [​IMG])

By looking at my name, you can guess that I like import games. Up until now, I never really had to bother with GameCube hacks and mods since this is the only Nintendo game collection I had with no imports or hacks, but this all changed this week. A game I voluntary bypassed on the Dreamcast and GameCube due to bad dubbing got undubed a few years back and I finally got a hold of it, Skies of Arcadia Legends. I figured with the Japanese version going to about $30, I could buy for my collection it and play the undubed version instead.

That being said, I wasn't going to mod my GameCube just for a single game, so the Wii was the way to go. Although my Wii is able to do a lot of things, it cannot boot GameCube DVD-R games and I'm not sure why.

Here's what I know about everything so far with all my testing and what I can do with my Wii:

-Firmware 4.3 on my Wii
    -I can rip Wii and GameCube to my Ext HDD to use with USB Loader
    -I can boot GameCube and Wii games from all regions from the original disc channel
    -I can backup protected Wii saved game to my SD card
    -I can run the Homebrew Channel of course
    -I can run hacks like Newer Super Mario Wii
    -I can install WADs (had to do it when I bought the Red Limited Edition Wii and Nintendo wouldn't transfer my WiiWares)
    -I can transfer the ISO of Skies of Arcadia Legends to my Ext HDD and run Skies of Arcadia with Dios Mios (although it runs like shit)
    -I can load the game from the DVD-R I made of Skies of Arcadia Legends using the Dolphin emulator, so the disc works
    -When I run GameCube Backup Launcher from WiiGator, it freezes with no error messages, in fact, it freezes when I try it with real NA GameCube disc.

So, long text right, hope this can help anyone that's up for a challenge.

Thank you

2. brausm08

brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 15, 2009
    United States
    USA - Midwest
    are you certain you have a DVD drive capable of reading DVDs? DVD playback (of any kind) was removed from the Wii optical drive when the D3-2 drive chip was incorporated.

if you are unsure what drive chip you have, here's a tool to help you identify, though it's not 100% accurate. ...it might be more conclusive to attempt to play a DVD movie (authentic or DVDr, via WiiMC or MPlayerCE) or a DVDr Wii game (via NeoGamma, a USB loader with Disc playback, or Disc Channel w/ cIOSCORP installed).

if the "Red Limited Edition Wii" you cite is the wii in question here....i'm pretty certain you have D3-2 or later.

3. the_importer
    OP

the_importer Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2013
    Canada
    Well there's 12 hours of my life I'll never get back :cry:

I indeed tried a media player on the Wii and that software told me that my Wii is not compatible with DVDs. Well, unless there's a way to fix DIO-MIOS so that it can play this game without slowdowns and sound issues, I guess this is where the story ends since I won't bother modding a GameCube for 1 game.

Thank you for your reply.

4. brausm08

brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 15, 2009
    United States
    USA - Midwest
    ...i doubt you will ever have a software solution since crediar has seemingly abandoned Wii projects.

you could buy a DVD compatible drive (or drive board, if you like soldering) for the wii on ebay and swap them out.... probably $20-30 or so... not optimal, but probably your best bet.

5. the_importer
    OP

the_importer Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2013
    Canada
    Found a soft mod for NGC the requires Datel's SD Media Launcher. I bought it and if I received it, I'll get some mini DVD-Rs to try it. If it fells, then to hell with this game.

6. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Just keep watch on ebay. If a drive swap is too complex for your taste, functional white Wii's are worth under $40.

7. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    I believe Crediar specifically said he wasn't working on Wii U project. He never specified anything about the Wii to my knowledge.