Trying to learn about hacking/make a team

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Brandon Pollack, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Brandon Pollack
    OP

Brandon Pollack Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2013
    United States
    Gainesville, Florida
    I am a 4th year engineering student at UF and have a lot of computer hardware/software experience. I understand the internal workings of computers/microprocessors etc. I thought it'd be kinda fun to hack a 3ds (main motivation learning, secondary playing japanese games to practice). My problem is I've never done anything like this before, so I was hoping someone here would be able to point me in the right direction on how to meet others who have, learn from their experience, and try to do this/make a team.

Any *pointers?

2. yifan_lu

yifan_lu @yifanlu

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    It's usually show first, talk later. You release/demo something cool and other hackers will find you. I know from experience though that nobody will help you when you're learning. You have to do that alone.

pelago likes this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Basically what yifan_lu said though when it comes to the learning thing if you ask specific questions in an appropriate manner at a suitable place (GBAtemp does good ROM hacking and not bad homebrew, other stuff varies wildly) they can get answered. Team wise it is probably those you know in real life until such a time as you get things done.

3ds hacking may or may not be a bit "jump in at the deep end" too but to be fair an awful lot of hackers did and do start out in similar positions to yourself and from what has been seen the 3ds is hardly the most hardened device ever, bonus is you still have access to lots of nice equipment as well.

4. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Try analysing the launcher.dat file of Gateway 3DS, it seems to be a good beginning for 3DS hacking.

5. Poketard

Poketard GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2013
    United States
    As Kyogre said, checking out that file would be a good idea if your just doing this for practice. If your goal is to create a hack on 5.0+ then I would suggest, again, looking at the launcher.dat and then looking for an exploit. They usually come from crashes, I would suggest looking at some un-stable games (freezes, lots of glitches) and from there start testing with memory headers.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I do not know if I would suggest launching right into reverse engineering the gateway -- such things are likely to be quite heavily obfuscated and this would be on top of figuring out the 3ds.

7. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    I'd go into something open source first, like android. Try simple things like making your own roms, etc. When you get more knowledgeable you can try something a little more difficult like porting ubuntuor another open OS onto it. Trying to start on something as closes as the 3DS is probably not the best idea.

pelago likes this.