Trying to install luma, got gateway with fastboot installed.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by KirasiN, Jul 26, 2017.

1. KirasiN
    OP

KirasiN Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2015
    Greece
    Hey, I would like some help or a point in the right direction if possible, I saw a lot of tutorials yet I didn't find one that's specific to my setup.

I got an N3DS Sysnand 9.2 with gateway 4.2 installed and their A9LH, I'm trying to play a rom hack which doesn't work with it, so I decided to try and install a CFW instead.
    I can't seem to find out if I can just install luma on top of my current setup, since I read that gateway A9LH is different or something, I also read somewhere else that I should remove A9LH before installing cfw, yet I can't find out how and I don't really have a backup preinstallation.

Anyone got any idea what would be the best course of action?

Sorry if I missed any rules or posted in the wrong place.

Last edited by KirasiN, Jul 26, 2017
  2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    When you have Gateway Fast Boot you are basically locked into using Gateway only.
    That's why I've always suggested people install A9LH or B9S instead, and load GW through it.
    I think you have to restore a pre-FastBoot NAND backup to get rid of it. Then you can follow http://3ds.guide like normal.
    AFAIK there is no other way.
    You can try and see if you are able to load SafeB9SInstaller or another payload (by using safehax+udsploit) through HBL, but don't expect anything.
    hblauncher_loader would be the easiest way to do that, but if that doesn't work try some *hax entrypoints as well.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jul 26, 2017
    Zidapi likes this.
  3. KirasiN
    OP

KirasiN Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2015
    Greece
    Ugh, well that's just great. I had a backup yet it was lost due to an HDD failure.

I don't really use the 3ds much, just wanted to play a rom hack of pokemon sun/moon which requires a CFW, yet there are no links to a patched cia or encrypted rom so I'm out of luck there.

Thank you for the information.

4. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
  5. KirasiN
    OP

KirasiN Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2015
    Greece
    Is that going to work without causing any bricks? I might just have a backup on my external HDD, but have to find that first.

Also, by sysnand you mean gateway classic mode? Cause it still says 11.2GW in the system info there.

6. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Classic vs. Gateway mode shouldn't matter as long as you're in sysnand.

From their website:

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You can use NTR-CFW with Gateway to play the romhack.
    I think it could work if your sysNAND is on 11.2 or lower. The problem is if Gateway is using a newer FIRM in their payload where the exploits are patched.
    And no, to boot SysNAND you have to hold B in the Gateway menu and it should change to "Boot Gateway SysNAND Mode" then press A.

8. KirasiN
    OP

KirasiN Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2015
    Greece
    Just booted into sysnand, can confirm that firmware is 9.2.0-20E, I will however try and remove a9lh with a backup I found, if that won't work then I will try the above suggestion.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Lol, copied the nand to my sd card, went to "downgrade console" and it's telling me that it can't detect console region!

9. KirasiN
    OP

KirasiN Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2015
    Greece
    Whoops, I was being silly, had to hold UP before pressing downgrade, it's currently restoring my backup so hopefully A9LH will be gone when it's done.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It's gone! Woot, now I can just follow the guide. Thank you guys, best of days to you both.

EDIT: Success, everything is working nice and dandy, Luma seems really cool so far, I can run old games with n3ds clock speeds now!

Quantumcat likes this.