Hacking Trying to help a friend install gamecube backup loader?

DarkMario616

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been helping my friend softmod his newly bought Wii.

So far I've helped him letterbomb his Wii so he can get access to the HBC. He can also run Wii.

Now, with Gamecube, I don't remember what I did on my Wii, and on my Wii I have 3.3 lol. He has 4.3.

We followed this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slnEdd_UKNY

Now, when he tries to run a backup, he receives the error:

failed to read DVD 263
Error 0x3023a00 No Disk

I believe this because of the wrong cIOS....but which is the correct one to use for GC?

Any help appreciated.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameCube backup loading requires a cMIOS and something like NeoGamma. However, newer Wii disc drives cannot do any kind of disc backup loading.

DarkMario616

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to determine how new a wii is (manufacturers date etc.)? Or did you mean those with 4.3 cannot do disc back ups?

Cause he bought his off Amazon in one of those warehouse deals lol.

Saix_XIII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I am the friend in question. I am also wondering what I need to to do to enable Wii backup play from DVD. I was able to play them via a USB HDD no problem, but would love the ability to play them via a burned DVD.

Thank you to anyone who can offer me help.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkMario616 said:
Is there a way to determine how new a wii is (manufacturers date etc.)? Or did you mean those with 4.3 cannot do disc back ups?

Cause he bought his off Amazon in one of those warehouse deals lol.
Yes, the beginning of the serial will say LU64, those one's can't. Also, Black Wiis, unless they were spray painted by the owner and were originally white, are always unable to play backups.

Saix_XIII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I try to use ModMii. I install it to the desktop and try to run ModMii.exe and nothing happens. I check my processes and it is listed there, but isn't actually fully up and running.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saix_XIII said:
I try to use ModMii. I install it to the desktop and try to run ModMii.exe and nothing happens. I check my processes and it is listed there, but isn't actually fully up and running.
Try running it as the admin.

Saix_XIII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried another method from the wii-hacks website and I was getting other errors. My friend said that DVD+R do not work well, is that true?? Because my GC would only read backups that were a certain DVD+R.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saix_XIII said:
Just tried another method from the wii-hacks website and I was getting other errors. My friend said that DVD+R do not work well, is that true?? Because my GC would only read backups that were a certain DVD+R.
DVD+R disks can wear out the laser, but it's really nothing you have to worry about. What you do have to worry about, however, is that you have to change the booktype for DVD+R to DVD-R.

Ryoku83

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your wii can't play burned disc. Any with with serial LU64+ has the newer drives. So your stuck with either buying an older disc drive or usb loading (for wii games only) and GC retail discs.

Saix_XIII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ryoku83 said:
Your wii can't play burned disc. Any with with serial LU64+ has the newer drives. So your stuck with either buying an older disc drive or usb loading and GC retail discs.

Aha, so it was anything about LU64...well that just sucks, but at least now I know the problem. Thank you for the information.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If the Wii was new after christmas '09, it won't read DVD-R. Also only white Wiis read DVD-Rs. Do you even have one of those no gamecube compatibility Wiis(no gamecube ports)?

Anyways, use the latest NeoGamma:
http://gbatemp.net/t219243-neogamma-r9-beta-test
and read the mini FAQ.

Ryoku83 said:
Your wii can't play burned disc. Any with with serial LU64+ has the newer drives. So your stuck with either buying an older disc drive or usb loading (for wii games only) and GC retail discs.

LU64+ == High chance that your Wii can't use the 3.2 or older IOS, because nintendo reduced the costs of some parts. The backup resitant drives came months(a year?) later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: He's right behind me, isn't he? +1