Trying to hack a PSP save file

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by gumbyx84, Nov 14, 2010.

Nov 14, 2010

Trying to hack a PSP save file by gumbyx84 at 6:29 PM (2,686 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. gumbyx84
    OP

Member gumbyx84 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've been on the hunt to try and find a way to hack a costume/armor into my Phantasy Star Portable save file. I can't find a cheat for cwcheat to add it and don't know how to make one that would. I'd hack it manually, but don't know how I would go about it. Anyone here have experience hacking any PSP save files that would be willing to point me in the right direction?

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If you have to ask, then you lack the skills to do it, to put it bluntly.

You'd be better off asking for a shop/inventory mod code on the cheat forums.

3. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    sg_deemer is a plugin for CFW to decrypt saves. After that, you're on your own [​IMG]

4. gumbyx84
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the void of confidence. I understand how a save is hacked. I'm not sure if the saves for PSP will be the same as say Monster Hunter 2nd G. There some of the data is stored as a string (name for example) and can easily changed using a hex editor. Just looking for a bit of insight.

No offense Rydian, but how the heck did those people learn? Someone had to point them in the right direction, which is all I am asking for. Beyond that, what cheat forums? There are a bunch of them that I have asked for help at and haven't gotten a reply.

5. Rydian

United States
    I'm saying since there's no documentation on the save format you'd just be feeling your way in the dark through hex editing just like anybody else (perhaps changing certain values in-game and comparing the different saves to try to map out some spots).

6. gumbyx84
    OP

United States
    The way it came across before it seemed as you thought I wasn't good enough to do it.

Either way, I found my way back to the GBATemp cheat forum and saw that someone (surprisingly) already made a code to unlock the costume I was looking for. Not sure why it never came up when I did google searches or found its way onto another site, but oh well. I'm a bit confused on the "set color" as its not fully explained, but at this point, Im just happy I found something.

7. Rydian

United States
    I assumed you didn't know anything at all (even about hex editing), as otherwise you would have just gone and done it instead of asking since there's no documentation on it so far.

8. gumbyx84
    OP

United States
    ..... There was documentation for hacking MH2ndG saves to MHFU, so I thought there might be some general documentation on PSP save hacking or that someone may have already tried to do this. How was I supposed to know there wasn't without asking? I prefer to do my research before jumping into a project.