ROM Hack Trying to Fix an old SD card with 0 experience

Leeba97

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bit of a odd random question that may of been answered before but I cant to find it. So about 1 or 2 years ago now 2 of My 3DS XLs crashed around a week after I'd made Pokemon omega ruby and alpha sapphire into randomizers. They no longer worked after that unless you took the SD card out what I did of course. I'm now wanting to try and hack them again but is it worth trying to fix the sd cards? I've kept them all this time both being 16 GB. It's been so long and I'd honestly have no idea what I'm looking for (an old friend hacked them all for me) so hacking in general is way out my comfort zone as I dont wanna do even more damage.
Thanks any help or advice atall would be appreciated! I can go into more detail if its needed but they both seemed to die while the games where running but at completely different points.

rsx

USA Modchip Installer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Leeba97

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks I'll give it a go now. I wanna say they are super dead especially the first one because as soon as you put it in the laptop everything lags and the file manager pretty much doesnt respond for a good few minutes! It also makes the entire desktop reset when you close the file manager but it's worth a try regardless.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a bit of a odd random question that may of been answered before but I cant to find it. So about 1 or 2 years ago now 2 of My 3DS XLs crashed around a week after I'd made Pokemon omega ruby and alpha sapphire into randomizers. They no longer worked after that unless you took the SD card out what I did of course. I'm now wanting to try and hack them again but is it worth trying to fix the sd cards? I've kept them all this time both being 16 GB. It's been so long and I'd honestly have no idea what I'm looking for (an old friend hacked them all for me) so hacking in general is way out my comfort zone as I dont wanna do even more damage.
Thanks any help or advice atall would be appreciated! I can go into more detail if its needed but they both seemed to die while the games where running but at completely different points.
SD cards are not very durable. I have had a couple fail within the first year. Generally they last much longer, but that's a maybe 10% failure rate within the first year of all the SD cards I've owned, which is not an insignificant number. Formatting can sometimes help, another SD reader or microSD adapter if that fails, if you can't manage to format them no matter what, they're probably ready for the bin. Even if you format them and they appear to work I would still not trust them. You may as well invest in a larger card (64 or 128 GB) since they are so cheap these days and you will be able to fit every game you could possibly want, and don't have to swap cards.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Leeba97 and fmkid

Leeba97

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SD cards are not very durable. I have had a couple fail within the first year. Generally they last much longer, but that's a maybe 10% failure rate within the first year of all the SD cards I've owned, which is not an insignificant number. Formatting can sometimes help, another SD reader or microSD adapter if that fails, if you can't manage to format them no matter what, they're probably ready for the bin. Even if you format them and they appear to work I would still not trust them. You may as well invest in a larger card (64 or 128 GB) since they are so cheap these days and you will be able to fit every game you could possibly want, and don't have to swap cards.
Yeah the first one is absolutely busted. Trying to format it is impossible. It literally just says Formatting Fail after about 10 minutes. That was the main one too due to it being my original 3DS XL. I'm not sure what I did wrong but whatever it was makes it so my laptop almost crashes every time you insert the thing. You can take things out no problem but it takes about 15 to 20 minutes before you can do so as it make steb file manager not respond, makes teh desktop go black ect. I do actually have 2 3DS consoles with a working homebrew and all it's just the other 2 that shut down I was trying to fix. Mainly because the other 2 havnt updated luma since 2.3 and cant but I also dont wanna tamper with them both before I scew them both up too! Thanks for the help everyone time to get some new SD cards!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the first one is absolutely busted. Trying to format it is impossible. It literally just says Formatting Fail after about 10 minutes. That was the main one too due to it being my original 3DS XL. I'm not sure what I did wrong but whatever it was makes it so my laptop almost crashes every time you insert the thing. You can take things out no problem but it takes about 15 to 20 minutes before you can do so as it make steb file manager not respond, makes teh desktop go black ect. I do actually have 2 3DS consoles with a working homebrew and all it's just the other 2 that shut down I was trying to fix. Mainly because the other 2 havnt updated luma since 2.3 and cant but I also dont wanna tamper with them both before I scew them both up too! Thanks for the help everyone time to get some new SD cards!
Here's why.

Reactions: Leeba97 and Lacius

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/T0X6JND.jpg