Burnin' Monkey Love
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
For the past two days I have been trying to build a file-sharing server for my home that can be accessed from any computer with an internet connection. I found an old Pentium 4 computer that used to have a virus-filed, broken WinXP. I installed Xubuntu 10.04 and I have been figuring out how to make it run headless and make my files on it available on my network. So far I haven't really been successful. I fiddled with SAMBA and SWAT but I'm completely lost due to me being kind of a newbie. I was wondering if anyone could help out by pointing to the right direction. Also, I don't mind installing another version of Linux or even Windows. Any help is appreciated.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What problems are you having with Samba?

Should be as simple as editing a few settings in the example config, then setting the daemon to run at boot. There's not really any reason to run a full LAMP stack if all you want to do is share files.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'd also like to host a small website in the near future, so I think it's better that I go with the web server. And I have no idea how to make a daemon or how to edit those settings correctly.
But I'm having a problem. On this guide, on the "Install a Firewall" part, I am unable to copy the configuration files to the Shorewall directory.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's one of the nice things about arch: adding a startup daemon involves simply adding the name of the daemon to /etc/rc.conf (although I'm sure a Google search would turn up methods for Ubuntu).

I really would recommend it. It's a lot fucking simpler to configure than Ubuntu, especially for a novice.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:
That's one of the nice things about arch: adding a startup daemon involves simply adding the name of the daemon to /etc/rc.conf (although I'm sure a Google search would turn up methods for Ubuntu).

I really would recommend it. It's a lot fucking simpler to configure than Ubuntu, especially for a novice.
I may try it eventually. But in the mean time, does anyone know what to do about the Firewall, or can I just skip that part altogether?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pyrmon24 said:
Urza said:

I may try it eventually. But in the mean time, does anyone know what to do about the Firewall, or can I just skip that part altogether?
Well optimally you would have a hardware firewall (either dedicated PC or router).

It would probably be fine to skip it for now, but if you don't have the aforementioned box sitting between the pipe and the clients, you'll want to revisit it later.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
He stated he has one, and by default they block all incoming connections, so the right ports will need to be forwarded for anybody outside his home network to access the server.
Assuming you're referring to outside access for his website, port 80 is open by default on almost all consumer routers.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Rydian said:
He stated he has one, and by default they block all incoming connections, so the right ports will need to be forwarded for anybody outside his home network to access the server.
Assuming you're referring to outside access for his website, port 80 is open by default on almost all consumer routers.
I've had multiple routers (linksys WRT54G and some ISP-supplied ones) and I've always had to forward the port to the correct computer.

What routers have you used?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse