Hacking Trouble with UBS Loader GX... black screen

Zhelkus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My background info: I seem to have a problem with USB Loader GX. I've installed everything correctly: I ran the installer that downloads the latest files from the server and installs it automatically to my sd card. I have a 500GB WD My Book Essential that's partitioned in two drives. It first came with a single partition but I deleted it and made one 150GB empty partition (didn't format it) and another partition with the remaining space (formatted it to exFAT). Then I used WBFS Manager 3.0 (x64 version) to format the unformatted partition into WBFS. It worked nicely.

I already have the latest cIOS38 r14 installed (chose net installation) and I'm running System Menu 4.0, didn't upgrade to 4.2 due to all the problems even normal people seem to have with bricked Wiis. USB Loader GX runs nicely: I already backed up three of my games which are SSBB, Twilight Princess and Sonic Unleashed, they all copied successfully and I even backed them up on another hard drive as ISOs (compressed with 7z to get rid of the empty data).

My problem: Whenever I try to run a game (one I backed up myself even, so I suppose that would rule out disc image being damaged) the screen goes black and the game doesn't load. Even when I exit the application the screen goes black but nothing loads, it just sits there with the black screen.

Could somebody be kind enough to tell me what is going on? Or if possible and if somebody already had this problem, to point me to the solution? I already had read through USB Loader GX's readme and FAQ but didn't find the answer there...
frown.gif

boof222

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
have u tried installing hermes cios 222/223 and running your games through uloader?
just a tip coz i dont have any idea about ur problem

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Zhelkus said:
My background info: I seem to have a problem with USB Loader GX. I've installed everything correctly: I ran the installer that downloads the latest files from the server and installs it automatically to my sd card. I have a 500GB WD My Book Essential that's partitioned in two drives. It first came with a single partition but I deleted it and made one 150GB empty partition (didn't format it) and another partition with the remaining space (formatted it to exFAT). Then I used WBFS Manager 3.0 (x64 version) to format the unformatted partition into WBFS. It worked nicely.

I already have the latest cIOS38 r14 installed (chose net installation) and I'm running System Menu 4.0, didn't upgrade to 4.2 due to all the problems even normal people seem to have with bricked Wiis. USB Loader GX runs nicely: I already backed up three of my games which are SSBB, Twilight Princess and Sonic Unleashed, they all copied successfully and I even backed them up on another hard drive as ISOs (compressed with 7z to get rid of the empty data).

My problem: Whenever I try to run a game (one I backed up myself even, so I suppose that would rule out disc image being damaged) the screen goes black and the game doesn't load. Even when I exit the application the screen goes black but nothing loads, it just sits there with the black screen.

Could somebody be kind enough to tell me what is going on? Or if possible and if somebody already had this problem, to point me to the solution? I already had read through USB Loader GX's readme and FAQ but didn't find the answer there...
frown.gif
mmm...have you already tried to reinstall cios249rev14? if not, try to reinstall it. you may also try to install the other usb loading cios222/223 by hermes then use it for loading games.

on my experience with loader gx, i only encounter a black screen during video mode selection/patching...like when i try to load some PAL games on my NTSC wii...sometimes the green screen...this is really very rare though.

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
USBGX is crap in my opinion, it works 1 week, doesnt the next they mess with it that much

try a different loader and use cIOS222 like stated before cIOS249 is abit flakey lately

Daunteh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Having the same problem.
I've installed c222 and 223, couldn't even launch USB Loader GX without them.
Tried to reinstall c38r14, to no avail.

I think I might have installed hermes c222 and c223 v4 over old versions (v3), and I can't delete any of them with Any Title Deleter, I get errors ret = -102 and 106.

How can I make sure I have the right version of c222 and c223?

wiileet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i always thought usbloader gx was brilliant until last night, i installed 4 more games and they wont work, they installed ok and they work fine off a back up on disc but not from usbloader. i tried back dating my usbloader(still not working) tried installled hermes 222/223(still not working). all the other games work fine except the 4 i installed last night.
any ideas why?

Daunteh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've also had problem launching other apps after I installed USB Loader GX and cios222 and 223. For example FTPii and ScummVM all just fade into black screens when I try to launch them. And some of the GX emulators (nes, snes, gba) seem to freeze up sometimes..

Don't know if this is related though..

Oh, and MPlayer is stuck on loading.

Zhelkus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the long wait guys. I went over to the google code page and submittied it as an issue. But then I couldn't wait any longer so I went to the IRC channel and asked for help there. They were kind enough to assist me and eventually found out it was a bug with the latest release of the application.

Apparently, any new game that was backed up with that version (r787) would not be playable on any loader. It could still perfectly play previous backups. The issue was with the ripping, not the playing. They suggested I downgrade to r785 and voila! The problem was solved.

I just went over to the source page now and they've updated to r792 so they've probably addressed it by now. Thanks for the replies guys
smile.gif

Daunteh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nice, updating now
smile.gif

Still doesn't explain why I can't launch some of the apps though.
And the wii keeps freezing when I sometimes go to the menu in FCE Ultra GX.

I'll have to try to find the solution in some other thread, methinks=)

Edit:
USB Loader GX r792 still have the same problem
Gonna install r785 instead.
Edit2: r785 works indeed.

wiileet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zhelkus said:
Sorry for the long wait guys. I went over to the google code page and submittied it as an issue. But then I couldn't wait any longer so I went to the IRC channel and asked for help there. They were kind enough to assist me and eventually found out it was a bug with the latest release of the application.

Apparently, any new game that was backed up with that version (r787) would not be playable on any loader. It could still perfectly play previous backups. The issue was with the ripping, not the playing. They suggested I downgrade to r785 and voila! The problem was solved.

I just went over to the source page now and they've updated to r792 so they've probably addressed it by now. Thanks for the replies guys
smile.gif

thank you very much for this. i am gonna try r792 now see if that works, i did downgrade the revision earlier and still not luck but i guess that was cause i backed it up using r787.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wiileet said:
Zhelkus said:

smile.gif

thank you very much for this. i am gonna try r792 now see if that works, i did downgrade the revision earlier and still not luck but i guess that was cause i backed it up using r787.
why don't you try uloader or neogamma...see if it works?

Zhelkus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
razorback78 said:
Part of the bug submitting was that the backups worked on other loader and not on GX. The truth is there are lot's of loaders and people on the forum are aware of that. Atm I'm using two loaders, GX and Configurable. Honestly don't have much of a fuss over any of them. But the slightest bug with one will force me to favour the other.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Zhelkus said:
razorback78 said:
Part of the bug submitting was that the backups worked on other loader and not on GX. The truth is there are lot's of loaders and people on the forum are aware of that. Atm I'm using two loaders, GX and Configurable. Honestly don't have much of a fuss over any of them. But the slightest bug with one will force me to favour the other.
still up to you what suits you. maybe you are much on the gui thing but for me it is more on as long as i can play the games i want no matter what the loader is. like on my wii, most of my backup on the hdd run on neogamma or uloader. good for you that your issue was resolved.
wink.gif

Zhelkus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
razorback78 said:
still up to you what suits you. maybe you are much on the gui thing but for me it is more on as long as i can play the games i want no matter what the loader is. like on my wii, most of my backup on the hdd run on neogamma or uloader. good for you that your issue was resolved.
wink.gif
Frankly, yes
tongue.gif
I can't make do without a GUI. The command line is something I loathe. I hate having to go through it if there are friendlier alternatives available. Of course I'm not completely ignorant, I did eventually take care of installing the homebrew channel and the loader itself, but if there's an easier way out then I'll take it. I'm just glad there are so many wonderful loaders available. What I find to be quite a shame is that many clones are popping up that deliver the same performance as others and just sport a different and highly interactive gui... that's just useless and pointless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll give you a present by tying up ancientboi for you