Hacking Trouble Using WBFS drive

Zeldave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please forgive me if this is in the wrong Section in the forum.

At the moment, I am using a USB enclosure for my wii with a 250 GB hd in there. There was a wbfs partition on it as well as a fat32. Something happened and No my windows cant recognize the partitions. Only my wii can read the drive at all. Other than that it is useless. I cant open it with a computer. I tried installing linux to see if that OS could recognize it but no luck since i was running from a live disc and the install doesnt work. + i dont know how to use linux. I cant compile or install any of the Wii file managers for linux.

Here's what i want. I just want to get access to my backups back. I want to be able to Copy or extract the isos from that drive. At the moment the drive is full.

Is there is usb loader that extracts ISO's from a WBFS to a computer or another usb device? I am a little lost at what to do. I am gunna try to find someone who uses a mac, to see if the WBFS works on that.. But for now.. i dont really know what to do.

Anyhelp would be much appreciated.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
...Are you kidding? You should realy use the Search....I'm not even shure if People like you should WBFS...it's not realy for Noobs.

-You know that WBFS is a special Filesystem, designed for Wii-Discs, that's why no other normal programm can see it?
-You know that there are tons of WBFS-Managers outthere? See here
-You also know that you can use FAT32 to store/load games?
-You also know that you can store and play games from NTFS (no writing yet, but reading).

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Zeldave said:
i haev tried using everyone of those, minus the mac ones.
Wait...so you were able to open the drive before with an manager on your PC? And now it doesn't work? Or it never worked on the PC, but always on the Wii? Please give as much Information as you can, and if possible clear Information...I don't get what's your problem...

Zeldave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wasnt aware that I could store My wii backups on any other file system until recently. I was jsut trying to get access to my games again. I want the games on asingle drive and dont have most the games on disc to copy anymore. I was just wondering if there was a program that could use the wii take copy the files since it doesnt have a problem recognizing them.. Or a windows wii-iso manager that doesnt look for drive letters but the harddrive path numbers isntead... whatever those are called. =/

Zeldave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
Zeldave said:
Wait...so you were able to open the drive before with an manager on your PC? And now it doesn't work? Or it never worked on the PC, but always on the Wii? Please give as much Information as you can, and if possible clear Information...I don't get what's your problem...

yes, i was able to use WBFS file manager for quite a long time.. what i did was i think i made a second WBfilesytem on the other side of my fat32... so that fat was wedged between the two WBFS. I was using partition magic... i dont recall what error things it gave me, but i had the option to fix a few errors with that drive.. and ever since.. my windows Will slow down and error out trying to detect teh drive.. The wii sees the games fine. But liek i said. It is a full drive, i didnt make the partition big enough... i was orinignally trying to merge it with partition magic.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Zeldave said:
i wasnt aware that I could store My wii backups on any other file system until recently. I was jsut trying to get access to my games again. I want the games on asingle drive and dont have most the games on disc to copy anymore. I was just wondering if there was a program that could use the wii take copy the files since it doesnt have a problem recognizing them.. Or a windows wii-iso manager that doesnt look for drive letters but the harddrive path numbers isntead... whatever those are called. =/
So, let's summarize:

-You never used a WBFS-Manager/App before.
-You used your Wii to format the Drive, copy the games to it, etc.
-You now wanted to extract them back to a drive, but none of the Managers recognize it.

That is your situation, right? Just to be shure...I need to know this
tongue.gif

Now, I say the following: If you use WBFS, you should use Wiimms WBFS-Tool. A great tool, which can repair your WBFS-Partition, check it, add games, extract games, convert/compress games, etc.,all you can possibly do. There's only one big point: No GUI, only Command-Line (at least for WBFS-Checking, etc.). Have you tried WiiJManager which uses WWT? Maybe this will help...

Zeldave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think the drive is jsut unstable.. and windows is not stable enough to recognize it. It wont give it a drive letter, it wont even recognize it so i could format it if that is what i wanted. Linux works and can see it, i just dont know to use it ;o Mabye a linux forum would work, but before i go there i wanted to check here( plus i need to install it somehow, my cd/dvd burner fail me =/

Zeldave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
Zeldave said:
So, let's summarize:

-You never used a WBFS-Manager/App before.
-You used your Wii to format the Drive, copy the games to it, etc.
-You now wanted to extract them back to a drive, but none of the Managers recognize it.

That is your situation, right? Just to be shure...I need to know this
tongue.gif

Now, I say the following: If you use WBFS, you should use Wiimms WBFS-Tool. A great tool, which can repair your WBFS-Partition, check it, add games, extract games, convert/compress games, etc.,all you can possibly do. There's only one big point: No GUI, only Command-Line (at least for WBFS-Checking, etc.). Have you tried WiiJManager which uses WWT? Maybe this will help...

no no no, sorry if i am confusing. I have trouble putting words together. Really sorry. umm, I started out using the WBFS Manager 3.0 to format a 250 gb harddrive i had before, and that worked for a long time, i used isos and dvd installs from a USB loaders.

Zeldave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried that Wiims Tools but all the executables in there just open up a quick command prompt for me and then closes, i cant read what it says. maybe it is my computer.. Safe mode might work?

i want to try it though if it can repair a partition

Zeldave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the wiijmanager only lets me click on the 'select folder' option and takes me to an file open window. which just shows me my desktop and my computer and everythign that goes with that =/

I cant click on select drive, or it is unresponsive it anything is supposed to happen when i highlight that option.

Zeldave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiimms? how do i launch that? it is a file? I cant find it if it is =/ Also, everyone, i appreciate the quick response ;p but i need to get to bed for work. Thank you all very much though, ill be back tomorrow to see if anyone else maybe had a similar problem

Posts merged

nitrostemp said:
Zeldave said:

did you assign the drive a letter before using it on the wii?

I did, it was M because that was the drive the the WBFS manager 3.0 would go for each time i would load it... It was the one i formatted to the filesystem

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
basicly where wiims is place youve got to navigate to wiims program through the cmd line one you are in wiims folder you typle the name of the program and it will pop up help text ect

Zeldave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
scratch my last reply, i think i figured it out. I am in command prompt and my Dir is C:\Documents and Settings\Prszo\Desktop\wwt-v0.36a-r728-cygwin\bin I am supposed to run files from in there? I am still getting the dissappearing CMD window when i try to run them from CMD. again, sorry if i am not understanding

Zeldave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, i tried it out; either i am doing it incorrectly or it just doesnt recognize it. It tells me (NO WBFS FOUND ) or something like that when i enter a command line: wwt -find or whatever it is. I tried many of the commands with no luck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.