Trouble getting X game to work? CHECK HERE FIRST!

style_emoticons/default/excl.gif Read the steps carefully and individually and don't delete IOSs because no one at GBATemp is responsible if you turn your Wii into a doorstop with a blue strobe light. style_emoticons/default/excl.gif

style_emoticons/default/excl.gif If you haven't installed the homebrew channel with Bootmii and Priiloader, you're in the wrong thread. Softmod your Wii first with Modmii or Mauifrog's guide. style_emoticons/default/excl.gif

The Transcendent USB Troubleshooting Index

USB Loader Configurations and Solutions - How to Maximize Compatibility

If you haven't done so yet, run the IOS236 Installer. (Unplug all Gamecube controllers and memory cards first!)

It's generally a good idea for your active IOSs to be up to date. Use Modmii or Dop-Mii. This is required to run newer retail games and for Wii based cIOS installers.

Standardizing (not pimpin') our cIOS rig
It is important for you to keep a well organized list of cIOSs, what IOS they're based off of, and the slots they're installed to. Save a note on your computer or physically write it on the case of your Wii, as long as you can reference it later. If you don't know what versions or bases are installed, reinstall them, it's okay if you overwrite old files. This tutorial will be following the Modmii standard of recommended cIOSs. You can get them from Modmii or the links below. If you insist on sporting an alternate cIOS setup, that's okay, just make sure your bases are covered. I Mean it, the base IOS is the most important part, use other revisions if you want just make sure you have bases 57, 38, and 37-38 merged patched with Hermes and bases 56 and 47 patched with Waninkoko.

Recommended cIOS List
Author • Slot# • [BaseIOS] • Version#
•Hermes 202 [57] v5 - Official installer
-This slot isn't used for USB loading, but some older apps like WiiXplorer and MPlayerCE need it. We don't speak of it here.
•Hermes 222 [38] v5 - See above
•Hermes 224 [57] v5
-Hermes hasn't made a new release in a long time, so a lot of newer HDDs and devices may not work. These drivers are older, slower, and generally less efficient, but there are some games that just will not work without them, so we'll keep them around.
•Hermes 223 [37-38] v4 Official installer
-If music games aren't working with IOS 249, try this.
•Waninkoko 249 [56] v21d2x6 - Official installer
-This is your default all-purpose cIOS. Run the USB loader together, install WADs together, shower together, and always boot your games with it unless instructed otherwise.
•Waninkoko 250 [57] v21d2x6 - See above
-Slightly slower transfer speeds than IOS 249. Some games such as Black Ops need it, more on that later.

Use the most recent revision of one of the following loaders:
•Configurable USB Loader
•USB Loader GX
•Wiiflow is now compatible as of r255

Make sure the loader is running in cIOS 249.
or whatever slot is holding Waninkoko cIOS [base56] v21d2x3.

The types of solutions you'll be seing in this guide:
IOS Settings – blue
Simple enough provided you have the recommended cIOSs. Change IOS settings in USB loader to something besides the default 249.
Video Settings – green
Playing import games may result in greenscreen, blackscreen, or black and white wonky-vision without the correct video settings. Usually there's a special video setting that works but sometimes the only solution is to buy a compatible TV and use component cables. For best compatibility force your native region on import games unless this guide states otherwise.
IOS Reload – red
These games will never be playable from USB because they're programed reload a certain IOS, losing USB support and fakesigning. Alternatively some games can be played from a backup disk If DarkCORP or cIOSCORP is applied to the game's native IOS. This is not recommended as it is intrusive, risky, and can interfere with retail games. If you think 'Call of Duty 3' is worth it and you know what you're doing, and you agree to hold no one liable but yourself, then have at it. Some games also need to be patched to run under a cIOS (usually 249). For that use IOS Version Patcher.
WARNING - Beware the system menu brick! game saves from unpatched games (both retail and backup loading) are incompatible with patched games. If you save the game from the patched ISO and overwrite the old save, it can cause a rare brick where you cannot access the system menu. You must delete the old save if it exists, and create a brand new save file for the patched game. (thanks Slimmmmmm!)
Alt.dol Method – purple

A reliable workaround for many IOS reloading games. Often when a game reloads IOS it is to launch a separate executable game called a 'DOL' file. We can skip straight to that DOL in the USB loader under alt.dol settings.

A complete fix for IOS reloading games has been found!
All games previously marked red or purple will work with Waninkoko 249 [56] v21d2x6 unless stated otherwise. Make sure 'No IOS Reload' is turned on, in fact make it the default option.

Misc. Options – orange
Anything from renaming config files to unplugging your memory card.

Other general troubleshooting tips – not specific to any game
•Remove/disable spin down on your HDD
•Try deleting and re-transferring the game to your HDD.
•Keep a retail disk in the Wii at all times – even pirates own Wii Sports
•uLoader is good for recognizing DLC, I'll incorporate that eventually.

Every Known Solution
All games work with IOS 249 (Waninkoko 249 [56] v21d2x6) unless stated otherwise.
Ashes Cricket 2009
•Crashes when creating a profile. Either start your game with a retail disk or download a save file here.

Boogie
ssx.dol

Call of Duty 3
To play from disk patch the game image to use IOS249 using IOS Version Patcher.

Call Of Duty : Black Ops
(misc. options)
Use IOS 250
(Waninkoko 250 [57] v21d2x6)
(Online faq coming soon)

Castlevania Judgement
Unplug all Gamecube controllers

CSI : Deadly Intent
Works from backup disk with a patched IOS53

CSI : Fatal Conspiracy
A cIOSCORPed IOS56 isn't good enough for this game. The only way to get this game to work from a backup disk is to install Waninkoko's cIOS 249 [56] v21d2x3 (or rev20) into slot 56. To do that,
•Get the original WAD from Modmii, or use Bluedump on the Wii to create a WAD of the installed cIOS.
•On a PC use ShowMiiWADs to open it, change slot from 249 to 56 and change title version from v20 to v65535.
•Install it to the Wii with your WAD Manager of choice.

Dragonball: Revenge of King Piccolo (NTSC)
On a PAL Wii set the language to English.

Emergency Mayhem
main.dol

Far Cry Vengeance
Works from backup disk with a patched IOS9

FIFA 08
(misc. options)
main.dol
Block IOS Reload – ON

Flingsmash
•First time playing choose player.dol
•Boot game and watch the Wii Motion Plus video
•Reset the Wii and return to loader
•Change DOL settings back to default.
•Play the game, it should work from now on.

Grand slam Tennis

The House Of The Dead 2 & 3
Choose hod2.dol or hod3.dol to play each respective game.

Indiana Jones And The Staff Of Kings
fateatlantis.dol

Link's Crossbow Training(PAL)
PAL will not boot in any video mode other than PAL50. (Component cables required on NTSC TV)

Just Dance 2
This game should work without tweaking (sans DLC), however if you're a special case...
Use IOS 224
(Hermes 224 [57] v5)

Madden NFL 07
madden.dol

Madden NFL 08
maddens.dol

Medal Of Honor: Heroes 2
game.dol

Metal Slug Anthology
Metal Slug 1-5 playable through game menu (default DOL settings)
For Metal Slug 6 choose ms6.dol

Metroid: Other M
This game exemplifies the single drawback of FAT32. If you convert this game to WBFS with Wii Backup Manager, the way it's split will cause the game to freeze during certain cutscenes. You need to convert the game from ISO using wbfs_file.exe and set the split point to 3.5GB instead of 4GB. It should spit out a WBFS file that will run from USB loaders without freezing.
(still working on getting this program to work myself, clearer instructions to follow)

Metroid Prime Trilogy
(alt.dol)
(IOS reload)
(misc. options)
•The only fully functioning method of playing this game without drawbacks is from a retail disk.
•Use IOS 222
(Hermes 222 [38] v5)
•First load the game normally and create a profile. Exit and select either
rs5mp1_p.dol (Metroid Prime 1)
rs5mp2_p.dol (Metroid Prime 2) or
rs5mp3_p.dol (Metroid Prime 3)
to play each respective game.
•No multiplayer
•Veteran difficulty only, to play on other settings use the following Ocarina codes: (thanks Nintendo_Chick!)

CODE
http://geckocodes.org/?c=R3ME01

NTSC-U
Difficulty Modifer (Mp1) (Press Left) [Sharkbyte]
2852A5CA 00000001
CE000000 80008180
047DF8C8 0000000X
E0000000 80008000
0= normal 1= veteran 2= hypermode

Difficulty modifier (Mp2) (press left) [Sharkbyte]
2853300A 00000001
CE000000 80008180
047A8160 0000000X
E0000000 80008000

Difficulty modifier (Mp3) (press left) [Sharkbyte]
285F72CA 00000001
CE000000 80008180
0496A338 0000000X
E0000000 80008000

PAL
Difficulty Modifier (MP1) (Press left) [Sharkbyte]
2852E52A 00000001
CE000000 80008180
047E3CC8 0000000X
E0000000 80008000

Difficulty Modifier (MP2) [Sharkbyte]
2853A5EA 00000001
047AFCE0 0000000X
E0000000 80008000
press left
0= normal 1 = veteran 2=hypermode

There is none for 3 on PAL that I can find, but you can just use the standalone version.

You need to activate it every time you play, and hypermode might not work unless you beat the game on normal or veteran first.

•Works from DVD-9 (dual-layered) backup with a patched cIOS55. However, to quote the cIOSCORP compatibility list,
"Metroid Prime 3 won't work by default, due to Dual Layer disc limitations. However, you can get it working by installing the "cIOS55-v5149-v3.5-rev13_DIP.wad" using the Extras Installer, at the expense of compatibility for other games"​
So in conclusion, Metroid Prime Trilogy is just a cursed game, even worse that it's so unlikely you'll find a copy for under $80 :/

Mortal Kombat Armageddon
MK7.dol

Monster Hunter Tri
Use IOS 223
(Hermes 223 [37-38] v4)

Music Games – Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Band Hero, DJ Hero, Def Jam, Grease, Karaoke Revolution, We Sing, anything with USB instruments.
•Use IOS 249
(Waninkoko cIOS 249 [56] v21d2x3)
Yes, base 56, the same cIOS used for 95% of all usb loading. This should work by default and if it doesn't, update your loader.
•If you still experience problems, including but not limited to USB instruments, use IOS 223 (Hermes 223 [37-38] v4)
•Some legitimately purchased DLC will work, and sometimes it won't. It's tricky, and beyond the scope of this guide. In my experience, the best way to get Rock Band and Guitar Hero working is through RawkSD, but that's having problems with recent cIOS versions. Wait for RawkSD3.
•If you have further questions you should consult the Rock Guide because no one can agree on what really works with these games.
Note to self (and 'Temp):
?
I'm reading conflicting reports on this, are there any games confirmed to only work with Hermes? Revisions? Will test at the first opportunity.

New U Fitness Yoga and Pilates(NTSC)
On a PAL Wii set the language to English.

New U Fitness Yoga and Pilates(PAL)
PAL 60 for NTSC TVs

Pikmin 2 (PAL)
PAL50 or NTSC (Component cables required on NTSC Wii)

Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party Collection
(alt.dol)
•Use IOS 222
(Hermes 222 [38] v5)
•Choose one of the following DOLs to play each respective game:
rrr1_f.dol = Raving Rabbids
rrr1_eu.dol = Raving Rabbids 2
rrr3_noe.dol = Raving Rabbids TV party.

Red Steel
redsteel.dol

Red Steel 2

Rugby League 3
This is the odd case where playing from USB is the solution to the problem. This game is very finicky and doesn't like to play from a disk if you have patched IOSs (DarkCORP) or a modchip.
You might be able to fix the problem by installing a clean IOS53-64-v5149 with Modmii or DOP-Mii (shouldn't you have done that already?). If that fails either remove your DarkCORP/Modchip or load the game from USB.

Sam & Max Season 1 & 2
(misc. options)
•In alt.dol settings select the episode you want
•To play season 2 episodes you need to open the usb-loader folder on the root of your HDD or SD card.
Rename 'R3X.wdm' to 'R3Y.wdm' (and back to 'R3X.wdm' for season 1)

Scrabble Interactive(PAL)
Does not boot in NTSC OR PAL60.

The Sims 3
(alt.dol)
•Use IOS 250
(Waninkoko 250 [57] v21d2x3)
•mplr.dol for multiplayer

My Sims Racing
Unplug Gamecube controllers when booting game

Sniper Elite
Use IOS 224
(Hermes 224 [57] v5)

SSX Blur
ssx.dol

Super Swing Golf
PangyaRev.dol

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2
Use IOS 224
(Hermes 224 [57] v5)

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Patch the game image to use IOS249 using IOS Version Patcher and boot with Neogamma. Disk only.

Truth or Lies
Use IOS 250
(Waninkoko 250 [57] v21d2x3)

Virtua Tennis

We Dare
Currently there is no proven method to run this game over USB, and I thank Christ every day that holds true.

Wii Sports Resort

Great guide, but I'm having trouble getting Four Swords Adventures to show up in my...
Stop right there! If you seriously are reading this message board and have not figured out by now that Gamecube loading from USB will never be possible, you must be really stupid or in my imagination. Your options are either Swiss or backup disks.

If a game is not on this list, it is either a bad rip, working with cIOS 249, or incompatible with USB loading.

Keep in mind that there are other games that have no solution, for reference check the USB Game Compatibility Table. You can also use it to inform me of any missing or just plain misinformation in this guide, I would appreciate it.

Special thanks to: Xflak, Mauifrog, Waninkoko, Hermes, davebaol, Norwegian Recycling, all of the users who posted in various topics from now to 2006, Slimmmmmm, and Nintendo Chick, and anyone else I forgot for contributing something that was used in this guide.

F. Lobot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is a major work in progress.

To-Do List
•Complete the guide - write Black Ops internet overview, DLC guide.
•Check that all information is accurate, test games myself.
•Make directions more newbie-friendly and generally more clear
•Include support for older/newer revisions of cIOS
•Links section with helpful and relevant threads (citation?)
•Better support for those unable to use Modmii
•Complete list of IOS reloading games that work with cIOSCORP or 249 patch
•Config files for CFG and USB Loader GX

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Supperb guide
smile.gif

Nintendo_Chick

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thought it was worth pointing out you can change the difficulty on Metroid Prime Trilogy with some hacks.

http://geckocodes.org/?c=R3ME01

NTSC-U
Difficulty Modifer (Mp1) (Press Left) [Sharkbyte]
2852A5CA 00000001
CE000000 80008180
047DF8C8 0000000X
E0000000 80008000

Difficulty modifier (Mp2) (press left) [Sharkbyte]
2853300A 00000001
CE000000 80008180
047A8160 0000000X
E0000000 80008000

Difficulty modifier (Mp3) (press left) [Sharkbyte]
285F72CA 00000001
CE000000 80008180
0496A338 0000000X
E0000000 80008000

PAL
Difficulty Modifier (MP1) (Press left) [Sharkbyte]
2852E52A 00000001
CE000000 80008180
047E3CC8 0000000X
E0000000 80008000

Difficulty Modifier (MP2) [Sharkbyte]
2853A5EA 00000001
047AFCE0 0000000X
E0000000 80008000
press left
0= normal 1 = veteran 2=hypermode

There is none for 3 on PAL that I can find, but you can just use the standalone version.

You need to activate it every time you play, and hypermode might not work unless you beat the game on normal or veteran first.

F. Lobot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I added both of your suggestions to the first post. I also posted a download link to the rev21dx2 installer, so no more sketchy linking to a guide with links to files.

icw35

Trophies
XP
Country
Also Splinter Cell works fine with Uniiloader (sorgs version of uneek+di). I bet a lot of the other games do too.

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Great tutorial!
I think it's worth adding a reference to the cIOS d2x v5 beta1 as a possible solution to IOS reload over usb/sd (WBFS only).
Also, we're working on beta2 to support FAT/NTFS too.
happy.gif

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@F. Lobot, great tutorial, but better make sure you test as much games as possible, because the USB game compatibility Table not totally relyable.

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Etheboss said:
@F. Lobot, great tutorial, but better make sure you test as much games as possible, because the USB game compatibility Table not totally relyable.

Agreed - this is an excellent tutorial and will help lots of users. However, I think that continued testing will help improve this list. For example, I'm pretty certain that all of the games described above will work with cios r21-d2x5 with a base of IOS56, and only a handful of games need IOS57. Therefore, I'm pretty sure that the hermes cIOS aren't necessary for any games anymore.

Also, here is some info to update the list with:

We Dare - works with Mighty Loader using cios r21-d2x5 (base of IOS56). It also looks like it a fix is coming for CFG as well for this game.

Shaun White Skateboarding - Will only work with a base 56 cIOS.

Your Shape - I have read (but not tested myself) that this game requires a base 58 cIOS and of course a usb camera. Please someone confirm this or correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again for this great tutorial!

F. Lobot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone I'm sorry, I've been doing some testing and I know there are still a lot of inaccuracies that I meant to fix, but I thought I had until June 6th to change them. No matter, it will be fixed soon. I've also been testing older revisions, but that has a ways to go. I'm surprised this ranked as well as it did because there were some really heavy contenders. Overall good show.

e: And dang, with the progress on d2x I was afraid this guide would be obsolete before the competition was even over.

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No worries - it's great that you have designed this guide.

I just remembered another game:

Jumpstart: Pet Rescue - It works if you use the new cIOS rev21 d2x5 with base 56 and if you use the new IOS Reload Block. This only works on a WBFS formatted drive, but hopefully soon this feature will be possible on FAT and NTFS. I'm not certain if it is an IOS reload game (it only has one .dol), but for some reason this works.

I think that even though the IOS reload problem has finally been solved, this guide will still be useful because many people will not know why games like Metroid Prime Trilogy don't work using default settings. If anything, the block IOS reload makes the guide easier because now you only need to change one option. Alt dol, alt dol + etc are now obsolete, so the only changes the user needs to make is: block IOS reload, or choosing a cIOS with a base 57 or 58.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not my guide of course, but I'd recommend you change 222 to v4 base 38, since some drives have problems with v5/5.1 (they don't run well or the data gets corrupted). If the user decides to use the 222 version of Cfg or WiiFlow, it could end badly. It's rare for that to happen, but still, there isn't really a reason to leave it at v5 IMO.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it is a great guide. I'm sure this will help a lot of people.
yay.gif

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another update - We Dare is now confirmed working with CFG, and it seems like you don't need to adjust any settings.

Also, the newest d2x6-beta1 has support for Fat and NTFS for IOS reload blocking! Now everyone can join in on the fun!!!
grog.gif

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
d2x v6 has been released.
Now all ios reloading games should work out-of-the-box.

However few singing games like "U-Sing 2" and "We Sing Deutsche Hits" (German PAL) have sync problems through usb.
With d2x and Waninkoko's cios they work through dvd and sd card only.
With Hermes cios they work fine through usb too.

fedejofa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, using the configuration that is mention here, in mario kart i got tu use hermes cios (224), 249 or 250 dont work.
Someone else got that problem?
(new black wii with 4.3U Softmodded only)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free